Derek Jeter singles, now 4-for-4

Jul 9, 2011, 3:21 PM EDT

Derek Jeter Reuters

Needing a triple to complete his first career cycle, Derek Jeter let down several hundred hospitalized young cancer patients by mustering only a single in his fourth at-bat Saturday against the Rays.

Jeter singled in his first at-bat to lead off the bottom of the first, homered in the third inning for his 3,000th career hit, doubled in the fifth and then singled again in the sixth.

He will get at least one more at-bat, and even if he doesn’t get the cycle, he could go 5-for-5 for just the second time in his career.  He went 5-for-5 with a homer in a 7-3 win over the Red Sox on May 23, 2001.  His also went 5-for-6 in a 20-11 win over the Rays on June 21, 2005.

1. yankeesfanlen - Jul 9, 2011 at 3:25 PM

Aw, c’mon Matthew, even I’m being nice today. Please substantiate your first paragraph.

• Matthew Pouliot - Jul 9, 2011 at 3:32 PM

I’d written about a dozen Jeter entries without so much as a hint of snark this week. I was starting to shake so bad I could barely type. But I’m better now, thanks for asking.

• proudlycanadian - Jul 9, 2011 at 3:35 PM

I have relented on my anti Jeter mania today. The guy has done it in style.

• yankeesfanlen - Jul 9, 2011 at 3:44 PM

Matthew, you have to have your gameface on for these National Holidays, we can continue tomorrow. A couple of gin and tonics will work wonders.

• Matthew Pouliot - Jul 9, 2011 at 3:35 PM

And I didn’t even go for the obvious Heil Jeter line to go along with the picture. No one gives me any credit.

• jimbo1949 - Jul 9, 2011 at 3:48 PM

Don’t dislocate your shoulder patting yourself on the back.

• Matthew Pouliot - Jul 9, 2011 at 3:51 PM

No need to worry. That’s what personal assistants are for.

2. proudlycanadian - Jul 9, 2011 at 3:34 PM

I am not sure that he will get another at bat. He may not as the Yankees are at home and have the lead.

• proudlycanadian - Jul 9, 2011 at 3:47 PM

I guessed wrong. The Yankees have had enough base runners this inning, that Jeter will get another at bat unless Girardi sits him.

• Chris Fiorentino - Jul 9, 2011 at 3:52 PM

And boom goes the lead too!!!

• proudlycanadian - Jul 9, 2011 at 3:55 PM

Ney York’s record with Jeter in the lineup is a story for another day.

3. Chris Fiorentino - Jul 9, 2011 at 4:08 PM

Well considering he is 5-5 and just gave them ANOTHER lead, you can’t pin this one on him if they lose. Probably the greatest game ever for a guy looking for his 3,000 hit.

• proudlycanadian - Jul 9, 2011 at 4:10 PM

A great performance by Jeter.

Colby-on-Colby crime in Toronto