Jul 9, 2011, 3:21 PM EDT
Needing a triple to complete his first career cycle, Derek Jeter let down several hundred hospitalized young cancer patients by mustering only a single in his fourth at-bat Saturday against the Rays.
Jeter singled in his first at-bat to lead off the bottom of the first, homered in the third inning for his 3,000th career hit, doubled in the fifth and then singled again in the sixth.
He will get at least one more at-bat, and even if he doesn’t get the cycle, he could go 5-for-5 for just the second time in his career. He went 5-for-5 with a homer in a 7-3 win over the Red Sox on May 23, 2001. His also went 5-for-6 in a 20-11 win over the Rays on June 21, 2005.
- Ian Kinsler hopes Rangers go 0-162, calls GM a “sleazeball” (132)
- Albert Pujols was insulted when someone asked him if he can put up Mike Trout numbers (103)
- The politics of “The Cardinal Way” (67)
- Robinson Cano wants the Mariners to bring in Kendrys Morales and Ervin Santana (64)
- Reporter calls Ian Kinsler as self-absorbed as A-Rod (60)