Jul 9, 2011, 11:00 AM EDT
Some facts and figures on Jeter’s now 3,000 hits:
– Jeter has played in 2,362 major league games. He’s collected five hits in two of them. Here’s the breakdown:
Five hits: 2
Four hits: 35
Three hits: 217
Two hits: 628
One hit: 943
Zero hits: 537
– 2,972 of his hits have come as a shortstop. He has 27 as a designated hitter and one as a pinch-hitter.
– 2,662 of them have come as a No. 1 or No. 2 hitter, so, logically, he has more hits in the first inning than any other. He has 656 first-inning hits, compared to just 161 in the second inning. The third (440) and fifth (361) are his next favorite innings. He has 46 career hits in extras.
– Jeter has 237 homers, 62 triples and 480 doubles. To look at it another way, eight percent of his hits are homers, two percent triples, 16 percent doubles and 74 percent singles.
– One other way: he ranks 21st all-time in singles, 74th in doubles, 227th in homers and 479th in triples.
– 557 of his hits have come on the first pitch of his at-bat. He has just 12 career hits in 3-0 counts.
– 1,510 of hits have come at the Yankee Stadiums, compared to 1,490 elsewhere.
– He has 2,204 hits against right-handers, 796 versus left-handers.
– His first two career hits came off Seattle’s Tim Belcher on May 30, 1995. Both were singles. As was his third hit off Randy Johnson a day later.
– He’s had 121 hits leading off a game and six ending them. Five of his game-ending hits were singles, while he had his lone walkoff homer in 2005 against Keith Foulke and the Red Sox.
- Video: Watch Kris Bryant get his first major league hit and RBI 4
- Yordano Ventura ejected for hitting Brett Lawrie with a pitch 15
- Pete Rose joins FOX as a baseball analyst 18
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 55
- Josh Hamilton’s teammates say he’s in great shape and ready to play 28
- Mike Trout hit his 100th career home run to become the youngest member of the 100 HR/100 SB club 26
- Make that two: Alex Rodriguez hits second homer of the night, giving him 658 for his career 48
- Alex Rodriguez hit his 657th career home run 49
- The Commissioner’s Office thinks that the Angels could indeed go after Josh Hamilton under his contract (153)
- “Why Ted Cruz is like the Atlanta Braves” (150)
- “We no longer need the terrorists. We’re now so good at terrorizing ourselves.” (143)
- Another argument in favor of making the DH universal (127)
- When it comes to Josh Hamilton, Arte Moreno is a craven opportunist, not a “smart businessman” (116)