Jul 9, 2011, 11:00 AM EDT
Some facts and figures on Jeter’s now 3,000 hits:
- Jeter has played in 2,362 major league games. He’s collected five hits in two of them. Here’s the breakdown:
Five hits: 2
Four hits: 35
Three hits: 217
Two hits: 628
One hit: 943
Zero hits: 537
- 2,972 of his hits have come as a shortstop. He has 27 as a designated hitter and one as a pinch-hitter.
- 2,662 of them have come as a No. 1 or No. 2 hitter, so, logically, he has more hits in the first inning than any other. He has 656 first-inning hits, compared to just 161 in the second inning. The third (440) and fifth (361) are his next favorite innings. He has 46 career hits in extras.
- Jeter has 237 homers, 62 triples and 480 doubles. To look at it another way, eight percent of his hits are homers, two percent triples, 16 percent doubles and 74 percent singles.
- One other way: he ranks 21st all-time in singles, 74th in doubles, 227th in homers and 479th in triples.
- 557 of his hits have come on the first pitch of his at-bat. He has just 12 career hits in 3-0 counts.
- 1,510 of hits have come at the Yankee Stadiums, compared to 1,490 elsewhere.
- He has 2,204 hits against right-handers, 796 versus left-handers.
- His first two career hits came off Seattle’s Tim Belcher on May 30, 1995. Both were singles. As was his third hit off Randy Johnson a day later.
- He’s had 121 hits leading off a game and six ending them. Five of his game-ending hits were singles, while he had his lone walkoff homer in 2005 against Keith Foulke and the Red Sox.
- Madison Bumgarner delivers a shutout as Giants roll past Pirates in NL Wild Card Game 5
- Angels announce ALDS rotation: Jered Weaver in Game 1, Matt Shoemaker for Game 2 2
- The beauty of belief 42
- MLB to test new pace-of-play rules in the Arizona Fall League — including a pitch clock 44
- Playoff Reset: The National League Wild Card Game 15
- Video: Salvador Perez walks off Royals in Wild Card Game 3
- Small ball prevails … in a 9-8 game 25
- Royals complete thrilling comeback to defeat A’s in the American League Wild Card Game 75
- Hunter Pence dropped a bunch of F-bombs in his postgame speech. Good. (116)
- Barry Bonds discovered to be “glassing” — it’s just as bad as you think (90)
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights (85)
- Ned Yost on the sixth inning and his bullpen usage: “its just one of those things” (81)
- Previewing the 2014 Playoffs (80)