Jul 9, 2011, 11:00 AM EDT
Some facts and figures on Jeter’s now 3,000 hits:
– Jeter has played in 2,362 major league games. He’s collected five hits in two of them. Here’s the breakdown:
Five hits: 2
Four hits: 35
Three hits: 217
Two hits: 628
One hit: 943
Zero hits: 537
– 2,972 of his hits have come as a shortstop. He has 27 as a designated hitter and one as a pinch-hitter.
– 2,662 of them have come as a No. 1 or No. 2 hitter, so, logically, he has more hits in the first inning than any other. He has 656 first-inning hits, compared to just 161 in the second inning. The third (440) and fifth (361) are his next favorite innings. He has 46 career hits in extras.
– Jeter has 237 homers, 62 triples and 480 doubles. To look at it another way, eight percent of his hits are homers, two percent triples, 16 percent doubles and 74 percent singles.
– One other way: he ranks 21st all-time in singles, 74th in doubles, 227th in homers and 479th in triples.
– 557 of his hits have come on the first pitch of his at-bat. He has just 12 career hits in 3-0 counts.
– 1,510 of hits have come at the Yankee Stadiums, compared to 1,490 elsewhere.
– He has 2,204 hits against right-handers, 796 versus left-handers.
– His first two career hits came off Seattle’s Tim Belcher on May 30, 1995. Both were singles. As was his third hit off Randy Johnson a day later.
– He’s had 121 hits leading off a game and six ending them. Five of his game-ending hits were singles, while he had his lone walkoff homer in 2005 against Keith Foulke and the Red Sox.
- Brad Ausmus receives a vote of confidence from new Tigers general manager Al Avila 9
- Title or no title, Dave Dombrowski’s tenure in Detroit was a success 27
- Dave Dombrowski out as Tigers General Manager, team president; Al Avila takes over 59
- Blue Jays’ Aaron Sanchez, John Gibbons disciplined in the wake of Sunday’s plunkings 72
- Believe the hype: Carlos Correa is already a superstar 34
- Gregg Zaun to Yordano Ventura: “stop writing checks with your mouth that your skinny ass can’t cash” 100
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 55
- Adrian Beltre needs just five innings for the third cycle of his career 16
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game (208)
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers (113)
- Gregg Zaun to Yordano Ventura: “stop writing checks with your mouth that your skinny ass can’t cash” (109)
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies (106)
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights (88)