Jul 9, 2011, 11:00 AM EDT
Some facts and figures on Jeter’s now 3,000 hits:
– Jeter has played in 2,362 major league games. He’s collected five hits in two of them. Here’s the breakdown:
Five hits: 2
Four hits: 35
Three hits: 217
Two hits: 628
One hit: 943
Zero hits: 537
– 2,972 of his hits have come as a shortstop. He has 27 as a designated hitter and one as a pinch-hitter.
– 2,662 of them have come as a No. 1 or No. 2 hitter, so, logically, he has more hits in the first inning than any other. He has 656 first-inning hits, compared to just 161 in the second inning. The third (440) and fifth (361) are his next favorite innings. He has 46 career hits in extras.
– Jeter has 237 homers, 62 triples and 480 doubles. To look at it another way, eight percent of his hits are homers, two percent triples, 16 percent doubles and 74 percent singles.
– One other way: he ranks 21st all-time in singles, 74th in doubles, 227th in homers and 479th in triples.
– 557 of his hits have come on the first pitch of his at-bat. He has just 12 career hits in 3-0 counts.
– 1,510 of hits have come at the Yankee Stadiums, compared to 1,490 elsewhere.
– He has 2,204 hits against right-handers, 796 versus left-handers.
– His first two career hits came off Seattle’s Tim Belcher on May 30, 1995. Both were singles. As was his third hit off Randy Johnson a day later.
– He’s had 121 hits leading off a game and six ending them. Five of his game-ending hits were singles, while he had his lone walkoff homer in 2005 against Keith Foulke and the Red Sox.
Jul 2, 2015, 11:29 AM EDT
Basically you just need to follow Jesse Sanchez and Ben Badler, so here are the links you need to do that.
Jul 2, 2015, 11:02 AM EDT
I hear his [pitch] is nasty.
Jul 2, 2015, 10:47 AM EDT
And place Tim Lincecum on the disabled list.
Jul 2, 2015, 10:30 AM EDT
How YOU doin’?
Jul 2, 2015, 10:15 AM EDT
Even after missing more than a year Fernandez returns to the Marlins’ rotation one month before his 23rd birthday.
Jul 2, 2015, 10:01 AM EDT
A possible win-win-win involving A-Rod and the Yankees? What on Earth is this world coming to?
Jul 2, 2015, 9:45 AM EDT
Spring is hitting .264/.365/.457 with 13 homers and 14 stolen bases on the year.
Jul 2, 2015, 9:20 AM EDT
He was likely not smiling when he discovered the theft.
Jul 2, 2015, 8:56 AM EDT
And the ump was in perfect position to make the right call.
Jul 2, 2015, 8:30 AM EDT
He thinks Gerrit Cole hit him intentionally. He’s probably right.
Jul 2, 2015, 7:22 AM EDT
This is what your face looks like when you give up your first hit of the game with two outs in the ninth inning.
Jul 1, 2015, 10:38 PM EDT
Carlos Carrasco had a no-hitter Wednesday with one strike to go. When this happened …
Jul 1, 2015, 10:05 PM EDT
We have some history in the works Wednesday night in Tampa Bay.
Jul 1, 2015, 9:32 PM EDT
You’re gonna want to see this play that Manny Machado pulled off in Wednesday night’s game …
Jul 1, 2015, 8:47 PM EDT
Cardinals left-hander Jaime Garcia was unable to perform scheduled throwing workouts on Saturday and Monday due to cramping in his left groin — the same issue that drove him from his last start Wednesday night against the Marlins.
Jul 1, 2015, 7:21 PM EDT
Stoneman was the Angels’ general manager in 2002, when the the franchise won its last World Series championship.
Jul 1, 2015, 6:38 PM EDT
Young was batting just .270/.289/.339 with two home runs in 180 plate appearances this season for the Orioles. The 29-year-old hit .302/.337/.442 with seven home runs in 255 plate appearances last season.
Jul 1, 2015, 5:23 PM EDT
One of the best hitting prospects in baseball.
Jul 1, 2015, 4:03 PM EDT
Cueto allowed one run over eight innings while striking out eight.
Jul 1, 2015, 3:30 PM EDT
Silent Cal chooses to run.
- Bryce Harper is naked in ESPN’s “Body Issue” 10
- Today is the day: Marlins ace Jose Fernandez returns from Tommy John surgery 3
- A-Rod, the Yankees and the union in talks to direct his $6 million home run bonus to charity 11
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 37
- Video: Joey Butler breaks up Carlos Carrasco’s no-hitter with two outs in the ninth inning 12
- Bill Stoneman taking over as Angels’ interim GM 15
- Jerry Dipoto loses power struggle with Mike Scioscia, steps down as Angels general manager 36
- Bobby Bonilla’s isn’t the only deferred money deal in the game. And isn’t even the worst. 49
- With the same-sex marriage decision, the San Francisco Giants get another big win (276)
- Joe Maddon is the latest manager to rip instant replay. He’s got a point. (110)
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM (77)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (75)