Jul 9, 2011, 12:17 PM EST
Ike Davis is still facing the prospect of season-ending microfracture surgery on his ankle, but his rehab has at least taken a turn for the better over the past couple of days.
Mets manager Terry Collins told Andy McCullough of the Newark Star-Ledger yesterday that Davis was able to test his ankle Thursday and Friday on a treadmill that supported some of his weight.
“Another very, very good report today, that the ankle’s responding very, very well,” Collins said inside the clubhouse at AT&T Park. “No discomfort. And of course the big challenge will be next week when it’s 100 percent, when he gets on the ground, starts running on it. But obviously, the last two days have been very large.”
Davis has been sidelined since suffering an ankle sprain and a bone bruise in a fairly innocent looking collision with David Wright on May 10. While the past two days have been encouraging, the real test comes next week when Davis is scheduled to run bearing his full body weight. If he continues to feel pain in the ankle, he is expected to undergo season-ending surgery.
Davis, 24, was batting .302/.383/.543 with seven home runs and 25 RBI over his first 149 plate appearances prior to the injury.
- Report: Red Sox make $95 million offer to Pablo Sandoval 30
- White Sox sign Adam LaRoche to two-year, $25 million deal 30
- Report: Red Sox offer Jon Lester six years, $110-120 million 71
- Report: “There is a 90 percent chance that Pablo Sandoval will sign with the Red Sox” 130
- A’s sign Billy Butler to three-year, $30 million contract 84
- Cardinals reportedly joining pursuit of Jon Lester 65
- Giancarlo Stanton’s contract is backloaded. REALLY backloaded. 148
- Braves and Cardinals swap Jason Heyward and Shelby Miller in blockbuster deal 157
- Braves and Cardinals swap Jason Heyward and Shelby Miller in blockbuster deal (157)
- Giancarlo Stanton’s contract is backloaded. REALLY backloaded. (148)
- Blue Jays sign Russell Martin to five-year, $82 million deal (135)
- Report: “There is a 90 percent chance that Pablo Sandoval will sign with the Red Sox” (130)
- Sexual assualt charges reinstated against Tigers pitcher Evan Reed (128)