Jul 9, 2011, 12:17 PM EDT
Ike Davis is still facing the prospect of season-ending microfracture surgery on his ankle, but his rehab has at least taken a turn for the better over the past couple of days.
Mets manager Terry Collins told Andy McCullough of the Newark Star-Ledger yesterday that Davis was able to test his ankle Thursday and Friday on a treadmill that supported some of his weight.
“Another very, very good report today, that the ankle’s responding very, very well,” Collins said inside the clubhouse at AT&T Park. “No discomfort. And of course the big challenge will be next week when it’s 100 percent, when he gets on the ground, starts running on it. But obviously, the last two days have been very large.”
Davis has been sidelined since suffering an ankle sprain and a bone bruise in a fairly innocent looking collision with David Wright on May 10. While the past two days have been encouraging, the real test comes next week when Davis is scheduled to run bearing his full body weight. If he continues to feel pain in the ankle, he is expected to undergo season-ending surgery.
Davis, 24, was batting .302/.383/.543 with seven home runs and 25 RBI over his first 149 plate appearances prior to the injury.
- The Dodgers took the shift to the extreme last night 9
- VIDEO: Jorge Soler hits two long home runs in third major league game 15
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 10
- Mariners end Jesus Montero’s season 35
- Troy Tulowitzki says he’ll retire before he switches positions 30
- Mike Trout is the best MVP choice, but . . . 44
- Baseball is dying, you guys, because no one would recognize Mike Trout in a bar 72
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 75
- Could women play major league baseball? Sure. Right now, though, the deck is stacked against them. (220)
- Forgiveness for Pete Rose? Not in this lifetime (146)
- Albert Pujols plays the “you never played the game!” card (104)
- Great Moments in Drug Testing and Punishment: The NFL Edition (101)
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights (75)