Jul 9, 2011, 4:12 PM EDT
SI.com’s Jon Heyman reports that Giants GM Brian Sabean and manager Bruce Bochy called former Nationals manager Jim Riggleman about a position in the organization last night and that Riggleman will head to San Francisco for an interview during the All-Star break.
Riggleman recently participated in pregame and postgame coverage with CSN Chicago during the Cubs-White Sox series earlier this month, but he’s been otherwise out of work (though still keeping busy) since his sudden resignation from the Nationals on June 23.
The Giants hired Lou Piniella in an advisory capacity prior to this season. Presumably, they’d be thinking about Riggleman in more of a hands-on role.
- Report: MLB likely to adjust rules for plays at home and transfer catches 8
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 17
- Giancarlo Stanton sends the Marlins to victory with a walk-off grand slam 21
- Jason Bartlett will retire after 10 years in the big leagues 10
- Pirates acquire Ike Davis in a trade with the Mets 47
- Hank Aaron is getting vile racist hate mail in retaliation for pointing out that racism still exists (248)
- “They Don’t Know Henry” (167)
- Doug Glanville’s story about being racially profiled at his own home (125)
- There is still a racial divide in baseball (112)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (96)