Jul 9, 2011, 1:02 PM EDT
As you’re probably aware, a mini-controversy brewed following last night’s rainout at Yankee Stadium. The Yankees could have opted for a single-admission doubleheader today without the Rays’ permission, but Brian Cashman admitted that they didn’t want to lose the gate for an 81st home game. However, they were unable to convince the Rays to play a split-doubleheader. Hence, the game will be made up on September 22.
The Rays’ decision obviously upset many Yankees’ fans who paid a premium to Derek Jeter‘s latest attempt at 3,000 hits. It also gives Jeter just two games to reach the milestone at home before the Yankees go out on the road following the All-Star break.
Fortunately, Rays manager Joe Maddon took to Twitter this morning to give us his side of the story.
“Real reason we didn’t want the doubleheader? I had dinner reservations tonight. Been looking forward to it for months!”
Nicely played, Joe. But hasn’t anyone ever told you to not feed the trolls?
- Breaking: Cardinals fire their scouting director, likely due to the Astros hacking scandal 15
- Bryce Harper is naked in ESPN’s “Body Issue” 43
- Today is the day: Marlins ace Jose Fernandez returns from Tommy John surgery 4
- A-Rod, the Yankees and the union in talks to direct his $6 million home run bonus to charity 22
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 50
- Video: Joey Butler breaks up Carlos Carrasco’s no-hitter with two outs in the ninth inning 12
- Bill Stoneman taking over as Angels’ interim GM 15
- Jerry Dipoto loses power struggle with Mike Scioscia, steps down as Angels general manager 39
- With the same-sex marriage decision, the San Francisco Giants get another big win (276)
- Joe Maddon is the latest manager to rip instant replay. He’s got a point. (110)
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM (77)
- What Yasiel Puig being a pain in the butt means. And what it doesn’t mean. (76)