Jul 9, 2011, 1:02 PM EST
As you’re probably aware, a mini-controversy brewed following last night’s rainout at Yankee Stadium. The Yankees could have opted for a single-admission doubleheader today without the Rays’ permission, but Brian Cashman admitted that they didn’t want to lose the gate for an 81st home game. However, they were unable to convince the Rays to play a split-doubleheader. Hence, the game will be made up on September 22.
The Rays’ decision obviously upset many Yankees’ fans who paid a premium to Derek Jeter‘s latest attempt at 3,000 hits. It also gives Jeter just two games to reach the milestone at home before the Yankees go out on the road following the All-Star break.
Fortunately, Rays manager Joe Maddon took to Twitter this morning to give us his side of the story.
“Real reason we didn’t want the doubleheader? I had dinner reservations tonight. Been looking forward to it for months!”
Nicely played, Joe. But hasn’t anyone ever told you to not feed the trolls?
- The Cubs have offered Jon Lester “north of $135 million” 0
- UPDATE: The Pablo Sandoval-Red Sox deal is done, pending a physical 133
- Kyle Seager, Mariners close to $100 million extension 25
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot 285
- So what would the Red Sox look like with Hanley Ramirez and Pablo Sandoval? 49
- UPDATE: Red Sox finalizing a 4-year, $88 million deal with Hanley Ramirez, with a vesting option 35
- MLB players react to Odell Beckham, Jr. catch on Sunday Night Football 27
- Report: Red Sox make $95 million offer to Pablo Sandoval 77
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot (285)
- Giancarlo Stanton’s contract is backloaded. REALLY backloaded. (148)
- UPDATE: The Pablo Sandoval-Red Sox deal is done, pending a physical (133)
- Report: “There is a 90 percent chance that Pablo Sandoval will sign with the Red Sox” (130)
- Sexual assualt charges reinstated against Tigers pitcher Evan Reed (129)