Jul 9, 2011, 1:02 PM EST
As you’re probably aware, a mini-controversy brewed following last night’s rainout at Yankee Stadium. The Yankees could have opted for a single-admission doubleheader today without the Rays’ permission, but Brian Cashman admitted that they didn’t want to lose the gate for an 81st home game. However, they were unable to convince the Rays to play a split-doubleheader. Hence, the game will be made up on September 22.
The Rays’ decision obviously upset many Yankees’ fans who paid a premium to Derek Jeter‘s latest attempt at 3,000 hits. It also gives Jeter just two games to reach the milestone at home before the Yankees go out on the road following the All-Star break.
Fortunately, Rays manager Joe Maddon took to Twitter this morning to give us his side of the story.
“Real reason we didn’t want the doubleheader? I had dinner reservations tonight. Been looking forward to it for months!”
Nicely played, Joe. But hasn’t anyone ever told you to not feed the trolls?
- Report: MLB panel split on Josh Hamilton punishment; one-year suspension is in play 0
- Joc Pederson goes 2-for-2 in Cactus League debut 3
- Braves scratch Mike Minor from start with more shoulder problems 1
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” 358
- Blue Jays sign Dayan Viciedo to a minor league deal 8
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 11
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 33
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 9
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” (355)
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (307)
- Curt Schilling lowers the boom on some men tweeting threats against his daughter (137)
- John Baker, Jeremy Brown, coal mines and class (80)
- Billy Bean responds to Daniel Murphy’s comments (72)