Kevin Gregg is fired up (and maybe a bit of an idiot)

Jul 9, 2011, 1:48 AM EDT

Kevin Gregg, David Ortiz, Marco Scutaro, Derrek Lee AP

So, Kevin Gregg, who couldn’t hit David Ortiz with a pitch Friday no matter how hard he tried, took to the offensive after the game.

Gregg pretty much admitted he was trying to send the Red Sox a message with the inside fastballs to Ortiz in the eighth inning tonight.  It was obvious he was trying to drill Boston’s DH, preferably in the thigh or buttocks from the look of things, but he missed him each time.

You know what happened then.  The benches cleared after the third pitch.  After order was restored, Gregg threw a fastball over the plate that Ortiz popped up to right-center.  Gregg motioned and jawed for Ortiz to run to first as soon the ball left the bat.  Ortiz took exception, mayhem ensued and both players were ejected.

Said Gregg afterwards:

It is 3-0, they are up seven, and I think there are some ethics to this game and guidelines that you have to stay within. Run. You hit a lazy fly ball, you have to run the bases. And apparently, he didn’t like me telling him that stuff and he came out there. If he thinks there’s something wrong with me saying that, then he has other things he has to check out in this game.

Well, of course Ortiz didn’t like him saying that.  Particularly given the fact that Ortiz was running.  He didn’t stand around after the popup.  He started trotting to first just like he would have hitting a similar fly under typical circumstances.

Gregg wasn’t done, though:

They are going to whine and complain about it because they think they are better than anybody else, but we have just as much right to pitch inside. “You get tired of going out there and getting your butt kicked when you come in here you have to stick up for what is ours.

“I think we showed them we are not backing down. We are not scared of them and their $180 million dollar payroll. We are here to play the game, and we have every right to play the game and do everything we can to win.”

No, the Orioles weren’t there to play the game.   Their pitching was terrible for the second straight game, their pitching was non-existent and they lost 10-3 after dropping Thursday night’s game 10-4.  They’re now 1-7 this month.

The Orioles couldn’t beat the Red Sox on the field, so Gregg took matters into his own hands instead.  And he failed miserably because he couldn’t even make the statement he wanted to by drilling Ortiz.

But at least Gregg can take solace in the fact that his actions contributed to the five-game suspension Ortiz seems sure to receive.  If the Orioles can’t beat the Red Sox themselves, they’ve at least made it a little easier for some other team to pick up a couple of W’s against them later this year.

1. nixonotis - Jul 9, 2011 at 2:12 AM

I can see from other comments, that many fanbases weren’t big fans of Gregg when he was on their team, but this is a strange situation. I don’t know if this is par for the course when it comes to Kevin Gregg, but I have to be honest, this sort of has Showalter’s name written all over it. I’m too lazy (and half drunk) to look it up, but when I roll out of bed about 2pm tomorrow, I’d be interested to know what Buck had to say after the game.

• fanoredsox - Jul 9, 2011 at 9:30 AM

I am a big Sox fan, but he does have some points. The Sox do have a huge payroll and YES even bigger egos. Pedroia not wanting to autograph something for a fellow big leaguer and Ortiz rushing the mound, let me repeat that, ORTIZ rushed the mound! If he would have worked that hard at running bases…….. We are going to melt down. We went from the improbable ’04 idots to proud professional champions in ’07 to a team of ego maniacs. Maybe the players haven’t heard but you have to actually play the games with respect for other teams. They are just paper champions right now. I’m kinda ashamed of the Red Sox right now.

• bobwsc - Jul 9, 2011 at 10:07 AM

as a Sox fan, the only thing more nauseating than what you wrote is when Obama went on his “america has lost her way” international campaign. Sox nation accepts your resignation letter.

• aceshigh11 - Jul 9, 2011 at 11:10 AM

Hey Bob, spare us the tired anti-Obama talking point.

Your bogus “apology tour” meme is about 2 years out of date, so shove it.

• aceshigh11 - Jul 9, 2011 at 11:13 AM

fanoredsox…

I don’t see how you come to that conclusion.

The Red Sox started the season 2-10…they were humbled and knew they had a lot of work do, and they’ve done it.

I’d rather they were playing with a little swagger than looking completely lost out there. Trust me, I take little joy in beating up on a feeble team like that, but the Sox are playing hard every night and winning the games they should be winning.

Showalter was the one who ran his mouth before the season began. His players are frustrated obviously, but Gregg is WAY out of line in his comments.

• fanoredsox - Jul 9, 2011 at 11:30 AM

Thank you for accepting my resignation on behalf of the Red Sox. Does your wife want to go to a Yankees game tonight with me and Obama?

• jimeejohnson - Jul 16, 2011 at 1:21 PM

bobwsc : never underestimate the ignornace and stupidity of the Conservative right wing NUT!

• fruitlandgenericcitizen - Jul 9, 2011 at 10:14 AM

Actually, the angriest I’ve seen Showalter as O’s manager is after a ST game when the O’s backup catcher Jake Fox swung on 3-0 in a game the O’s were up big. He was FURIOUS at what he felt was an action by his own player to show up the other team.

• paperlions - Jul 9, 2011 at 11:19 AM

…and that was an extremely dumb thing to be mad about. How often does the backup catcher get to play? And you think he should put the bat on his shoulder on those rare occasions? That is moronic. If you don’t want to get your ass kicked, then play better. How is playing worse on purpose a compliment to the opposing team? You are essentially saying, “yeah, we kicked your ass so bad that we don’t even have to try the rest of the game”.

Since when is a 7 run lead safe? A couple days ago the Cardinals came back from an 8-0 deficit in the 7th and 8th innings. A day later the Cubs (THE CUBS) did the same thing in the 6th and 7th innings. There is a reason you try to keep scoring runs.

2. zsachse - Jul 9, 2011 at 2:53 AM

I don’t really understand the point of this. Yes kevin Gregg is an idiot and a bad closer, but he didn’t come into the game and decide that I’m going to do everything that I possibly can to hit David Ortiz. He threw three inside fastballs trying to back him off that plate then Ortiz charged the mound because he is David Ortiz and you aren’t allowed to throw him anything on the inside part of the plate. If Ortiz doesn’t glare at Gregg after the first inside pitch or gets thrown out (like he should have been) after he charges the mound none of this would have happened. Plus classy move bragging about beating the Orioles we are chasing houston for title of worst team in the leauge, but you know what they say “if you can’t beat the Phillies and can’t be the Rangers then brag about beating the Orioles”

• Ari Collins - Jul 9, 2011 at 3:34 AM

He was pretty clearly trying to hit him, and also pretty clearly pissed he couldn’t even do that. If he threw three inside pitches to move Ortiz off the plate, then, well, that’s just a stupid strategy. You don’t go to 3-0 in an attempt to move someone off the plate.

Agreed that it would be stupid to brag about beating the Orioles, at least. But this blogger is not doing that.

• quintjs - Jul 9, 2011 at 4:38 AM

I admit I am probably biased – being a Sox fan at all, but Gregg was clearly trying to hit Ortiz.

After the first one – Ortiz gave him a look that was basically “ok, you tried and failed lets get on with business”. Second one was a terrible attempt so much so it is debatable whether or not it was an actual attempt to hit him, so Ortiz took it fine.
        The third ball was the closest and Ortiz is angry and rightly so. I don’t like pitchers attempting to hit batters but I accept it is part of baseball. I can’t stand pitchers who make multiple attempts – you shouldn’t be allowed to do that whether written or unwritten (bonus blog points for raising unwritten rules).
        Then Ortiz hits a lazy fly ball and jogs towards 1B and Gregg starts yelling at him for not sprinting it out? Has anyone, ever sprinted out a lazy fly ball to the outfield?

Come on Gregg, you can’t even hit Ortiz with three attempts. Then is when you wish Ozzie was managing the O’s. After Gregg gets done with his suspension, Ozzie would then ‘suspend’ him for another half-dozen games for being terrible and missing on three attempts.

And thanks to the stupid suspension rules the Red Sox will be more disadvantaged by his suspension than the O’s and Greggs, My only hope is that he plays against Boston in the upcoming home series after the all-star break so he can pitch against the Red Sox hitters at Camden and get booed as was pointed out by Peter Abraham.

Hopefulyl Buck pointed out to his team that need to spend less time worrying about the RS hitters and more time helping out their stud pitching prospects on the mound.

The only thing Ortiz did wrong was miss with the left hook.

• ditto65 - Jul 9, 2011 at 8:38 AM

The only problem with saying going down 3-0 was a bad idea is that it worked. He induced a lazy fly ball – probably due to the fact that a) Ortiz was looking for something in the guteus maximus and b) he was all riled up and out of his game.

• stinkfist5 - Jul 9, 2011 at 10:18 AM

No, he actually wasn’t trying to hit him. Ortiz is fat and slow, and a fairly large target. My 2 year old could hit him with a baseball. Ortiz has been a baby his entire career about inside pitches. Suck it up. Learn how to tackle/push/punch or whatever he tried to do last night…Ego-maniacal hog.

• mornelithe - Jul 9, 2011 at 12:27 PM

@ Stinkfist: So you’re saying your 2 year old is a better pitcher than Gregg? You should contact Showalter, I’m sure he could use the pitching staff.

• hittfamily - Jul 9, 2011 at 2:52 PM

I disagree that he was trying to hit Ortiz. I legitimately believe he was just pitching inside. Only one of those pitches were even close to Ortiz. Even the pitch Ortiz swung at and popped up was on the inside corner.

Gregg tried to get Ortiz out by pitching inside and it worked. Ortiz is upset that Gregg didnt pitch him right over the middle I guess. But, he is a steroid user, so he is prone to some rages that most of us dont experience.

Why was Gregg even thrown out of the game. There is a huge difference between yelling at someone who angered you, and charging the mound throwing puches. The pitch before, Ortiz points at Gregg and starts yelling at him. He should have been thrown out right then if yelling is a removable offense.

3. dirtyharry1971 - Jul 9, 2011 at 3:17 AM

typical classless redsuks, hopefully the O’s drill a few of them tomorrow

• rollinghighwayblues - Jul 9, 2011 at 3:46 AM

Yeah…like Gregg did tonight, oh wait, he missed three times.
      And zsachse, pipe down, please. The Sox are leading the AL east by one game, I’m not a member of the Red Sox by any means but something tells me their not worried about the Phillies or Rangers until they go to Arlington on August 22nd.

• psousa1 - Jul 9, 2011 at 6:24 AM

Yes quite classless that this dope could throw 3 pitches at Ortiz. There is a reason why this tool is in the Orioles bullpen and it is only safe to pitch him in late innings of a blowout. Next time know the shot you cunt

• proudlycanadian - Jul 9, 2011 at 8:58 AM

Anyone who uses the word “classless” in a comment, should not followup by making a “classless” response.

• jimeejohnson - Jul 16, 2011 at 1:23 PM

Classless defines the Red Sox Nation.

• ryanmallettsbluntwrap - Jul 9, 2011 at 8:48 AM

Word on the street in boston is dirtyharry likes Greggs weiner in and around his mouth .

• proudlycanadian - Jul 9, 2011 at 8:51 AM

As much as I have disagreed with Dirty Harry on this and other message boards, the previous comment was out of place.

• nocryinginbaseball07 - Jul 9, 2011 at 9:25 AM

Knock knock! This blog is about baseball! I’m sure there’s some site where this kind of comment is welcomed. Go there.

• vanillakokakola - Jul 9, 2011 at 10:09 AM

I must have missed the memo that said it would be a problem if that were true.

• fanoredsox - Jul 10, 2011 at 1:08 AM

So does your Mom! That’s right I just went back to the 5th grade! Have a nice day B@#$%!

• duckpizza - Jul 9, 2011 at 9:27 AM

Oh yea, because it’s really frigging classy to throw at someone because you can’t handle that your losing. That’s what this is about. That Gregg was pissed. He was pissed because he sucks at baseball.

• bobwsc - Jul 9, 2011 at 10:11 AM

you epitomize lack of class and your username craps on one of the all time great movie characters. go back to carrying water for Clemens and whining about how he’s innocent; you’re more palatable that way.

4. bosshogg3 - Jul 9, 2011 at 4:39 AM

He missed trying to bean Ortiz then missed swinging at Ortiz.He really should work on his aim.

5. ILoveBaseball - Jul 9, 2011 at 7:09 AM

Nixonotis is right. Earlier this year Buck had this to say about the Red Sox: “That’s why I like whipping their butt. It’s great, knowing those guys with the $205 million payroll are saying, ‘How the hell are they beating us?” Who knows what he told his team. So far Baltimore is 2-4 against Boston. And while I know Baltimore has had injury issues Boston currently has exactly one healthy member of its rotation (Wakefield) and he wasn’t even a starter when the season began.
    Gregg was thrown out by the umpire because of what he did and said after Ortiz had hit the pop as Ortiz was jogging to first and not even looking at Greg. Greg is a tool.

• playedthegame - Jul 9, 2011 at 7:35 AM

maybe you should learn a little about baseball. You do not swing at a 3-0 pitch up by 7 runs unless you think you are better then everyone else like “big SLOPPY” does. He is a jerk and though Gregg wouldn’t stand up to his FAT butt. Maybe Gregg isn’t the best closer right now, but he is a MAN and stood up for himself and his team. You can sign me up the Gregg fan club even if I am only the second member. The Red Sox need a little more fire in their butt, the Yanks have it this year and may keep it all the way, I hope NOT.

• joetarring - Jul 9, 2011 at 8:09 AM

Why don’t you swing at a 3-0 pitch up by 7 runs, exactly? I’m asking honestly because I’ve never had a good explanation for what seems to be the most stupid of all the unwritten rules. The thing that was most annoying to me about the whole overblown incident last night was Markakis complaining that it was bush league to be swinging on that count and to have a runner tagging up from third. If you want to throw in the towel or have a mercy rule than find but expecting the leading team to effectively say ‘Thank you for a fine game gentleman but that’s quite enough runs scored for us this evening’ is just silly. I’m not solely aiming this at Markakis and Orioles, I’m sure there’s plenty of examples of this complaining throughout the season. If you don’t want to get beaten down, play better.

• proudlycanadian - Jul 9, 2011 at 8:15 AM

You read a lot like like “Dirty Harry” who is a rabid Yankee fan, Clemens apologist and a Red Sox hater. Gregg is and has often been a jerk. Ortiz will always be remembered fondly by the vast majority of baseball fans. Gregg, on the other hand has very few fans.

• proudlycanadian - Jul 9, 2011 at 8:18 AM

P. S. My comment was a reply to playedthegame.

• ryanmallettsbluntwrap - Jul 9, 2011 at 8:51 AM

The yanks have it this year !? LOL what do they have right now ? 2nd place in the AL East , They have gotten rocked by the Red Sox all year long , haha yankees will miss the playoffs , wild card spot has tampa written all over it . Yankees key parts are getting pretty damn old except for Cano and Strikeout 9 times a game Texiera . Sucks to suck

6. ryanmallettsbluntwrap - Jul 9, 2011 at 8:56 AM

Proudly …… Just telling the truth about dirty harry , sorry to offend you , i just have never seen this guy write anything intelligent on Hardball or any of the fellow sights , guy is worse the halladaysbicepts . Oh well, he is the angry 2nd place NY Yankees fan so i guess that is punishment in itself .

• proudlycanadian - Jul 9, 2011 at 9:00 AM

You should not stoop to his level.

• proudlycanadian - Jul 9, 2011 at 10:07 AM

I have run into dirtyharry on the old MSNBC boards. In those days he was using names such a Happy Herbie and Eaglesnorings. On this board, he has admitted to me that he is Happy Herbie. He can be rude, crude and provocative and just loves it when someone responds in kind. He has been warned once to tone it down on this board. It is best to let Craig ban him once he crosses the line. You yourself do not want to be banned if you respond in kind.

• bobwsc - Jul 9, 2011 at 10:15 AM

hey Bill O’Reilly, quit the moral highground routine.

• ryanmallettsbluntwrap - Jul 9, 2011 at 11:12 AM

God i am petrified that i might get BANNED ! As long as i am not Canadian i think i will be very content with life , even if Craig Bans me . I might have trouble sleeping tonight wondering if i will be banned when i wake up in the morning . Anyways i do have to thank you for lending us all of your hockey players to win the Stanley Cup and beat 2 Canadian teams . That is too funny lol .

• derpdederpdederp - Jul 9, 2011 at 12:00 PM

no need to insult canada because of one commenter that puts ‘canada’ in his name

7. ryanmallettsbluntwrap - Jul 9, 2011 at 9:03 AM

A hungover Saturday morning in which i do not look forward to a double shift at longhorns could be the reasoning for my inappropriate outburst . Oh well , shit happens .

• ditto65 - Jul 9, 2011 at 9:53 AM

Grow up.

8. errorcard - Jul 9, 2011 at 9:47 AM

The Orioles really do seem to love hitting batters on their large-payroll competitors — the Yankees are regularly dodging beanballs from Jeremy Guthrie, among others on the Orioles (and on the Red Sox for that matter).

I’m surprised Ortiz doesn’t get thrown at more often though, given his habit of standing at home plate and watching his home runs.

• fruitlandgenericcitizen - Jul 9, 2011 at 10:16 AM

More Orioles have been hit by the opposing Yankees pitcher when Guthrie pitches than Guthrie hits Yankees. Just sayin’.

9. ryanmallettsbluntwrap - Jul 9, 2011 at 9:59 AM

If your talking to me Ditto65 , then i laugh at your suggestion to ” grow up ” if this is a bunch of old men reading these posts to get offended by something i said then man you must just be in your twilight years already lol Im 23 with a Bachelors degree ( one year for my Masters ^_^ ) , my own house , and a fine girlfriend , don’t hate just because your old , like i said , sucks to suck . Now please enjoy banging your old wife tonight while i hit my 21 year old gf in her prime ;] ADIOS MUCHACHO

• ditto65 - Jul 9, 2011 at 10:10 AM

OOOOH – I feel so slighted by your tough talk. Grow up.

• gendisarray - Jul 9, 2011 at 10:35 AM

yeah… maybe you can put those degrees of yours to work and make sure my steak isn’t overcooked later. if your “21 year old gf in her prime” works there too, make sure she remembers to chill my pint glass before she pours in the beer. it’s getting so hard to find good restaurant help these days, isn’t it?

• ryanmallettsbluntwrap - Jul 9, 2011 at 11:06 AM

Ugh …. Sorry i go to school and work 60 hours a week to pay for it , and i am not a cook i do bar tend however , and next time you and your boyfriend show up i will gladly give you the both of you a free glass of bud light lime . I am that nice of a guy . =] . If you would prefer a glass of chardonnay i will give you both 50 % off . However we do not take kindly to Fags in Miami , just a warning . Hope to see you soon .

• Ari Collins - Jul 9, 2011 at 11:11 AM

You are not proving yourself grown up, here.

• mornelithe - Jul 9, 2011 at 11:21 AM

So, you’re a cheap idiot, who has no real taste in beer? Thanks for the clarification!

• ditto65 - Jul 9, 2011 at 9:14 PM

Oh, you are a bar tender? With a Bachelor’s Degree? Working on a Master’s? Than I take it all back.

You are obviously vastly superior to the rest of us with our degrees working in our fields of expertise. Unless you received a Bachelor’s in bar-tendery. And are working on a masters in jack-a$$ery. If that is the case, you could save tuition on Jack-a$$ classes, since you have already mastered it.

And you own a house? Wow. You are in an elite club, what with only 73,800,000 other Americans owning their homes.

Now grow up. Act like a man, not a boy.

• duckpizza - Jul 10, 2011 at 11:52 AM

A bartender at longhorns? Wow. Really living the life.

10. fruitlandgenericcitizen - Jul 9, 2011 at 10:12 AM

Mathew, aside from the names of the pitcher and hitter, you’re wrong on almost all accounts and omitting some key facts concerning the genesis of this kerfuffle. Let’s review what actually happened, shall we? But let’s start at the beginning of the at-bat.

BALL ONE: Inside, but not grievously so, missed Ortiz by almost a foot. Ortiz reacts like Gov. John Connolly in the back of a convertible sedan with JFK.

BALL TWO: OK, now Gregg’s sending a message. Back off the plate. Ortiz glares some more.

BALL THREE: Way inside, arguable that Gregg was indeed trying to plunk him. Ortiz points, screams, takes multiple steps towards Gregg and leaves the batter’s box by a good 2 yards. Gregg walks towards Ortiz. Benches clear, and miraculously, Ortiz is allowed to remain at-bat despite leaving the batter’s box to step toward an opponent in anger. Must be nice to be on the Red Sox. Remember, Ortiz had to be restrained by the ump and his coaches from going after Gregg after ball THREE. Why he’s not run there is beyond me. For Josh Beckett to say Kevin Gregg should have been ejected after he left the mound after ball three is ridiculous. He left the mound because YOUR TEAMMATE was charging him.

BALL FOUR: With a 8-3 lead, a 3-0 count, Ortiz decides to take a hack. That apparently is just not done in MLB (unwritten rules and all) and when Big Papi pops up and takes those arrogant, lumbering, Type-2-Diabetes-onset slow steps to first base, Gregg motions with his glove that maybe he should pick up the pace. And I’m sure some words his momma wouldn’t be proud of were directed at Ortiz as well. At that point, Gregg is run by the home plate umpire before the two even come within 10 feet of each other.

And then Ortiz decides to take a premature left turn, and we all know what happened next.

David Ortiz is more to blame that Kevin Gregg in this, by far. I’d venture to say, aside from the yelling after the AB, Kevin Gregg did EXACTLY what he should have.

• bobwsc - Jul 9, 2011 at 10:20 AM

while you’re calling out people for being wrong, why don’t you make it clear that you see this situation through orange colored lenses.

• fruitlandgenericcitizen - Jul 9, 2011 at 10:23 AM

I figured that was fairly obvious. :)

But I don’t see where I have anything factually wrong, either.

• fruitlandgenericcitizen - Jul 9, 2011 at 10:34 AM

OK, Mister Down Arrow, what did I have factually wrong aside from the fact the score was 10-3, not 8-3?

• mornelithe - Jul 9, 2011 at 10:21 AM

Damn right we do! Red Sox end up winning 10-3! Hah.

11. djstat - Jul 9, 2011 at 11:01 AM

so Gregg is an idiot because he dared to pitch the great david ortiz inside? screw ypu boston fans. that asteroid freak has a hot temper.

• Ari Collins - Jul 9, 2011 at 11:13 AM

“asteroid freak” is a new one. Thanks for the laugh.

12. ryanmallettsbluntwrap - Jul 9, 2011 at 11:17 AM

Grown up ? Am i suppose to care what you or anyone else thinks ARI ? This is a comment section on a baseball site …… you act as if though it is a job interview of some sorts , thank god i am not so uptight like a few of you , life must suck for you , i am really sorry you .

• gendisarray - Jul 9, 2011 at 11:45 AM

Just stop, you’re embarrassing yourself. Everything you say is contradicted by what you do. You claim not to care what anyone else thinks, that this is just a comment section… yet here you are responding to all the comments about you. You’re like an ex-girlfriend who shows up at your door at 3am, months after you break up with her, just to tell you she isn’t thinking about you anymore. You go out of your way (repeatedly) to tell everyone you’re dating some girl – (seriously, you really thought anyone on this “comments section on a baseball site” cared?) and to bash gays over and over… yet you live in a city filled with guys who spend their days tanning and wouldn’t be caught dead wearing last year’s fashions. Like I said, just stop embarrassing yourself. You can go on and on about how you don’t care what anyone thinks and that you’re dating a “girl,” but it’s pretty clear to everyone else that neither of those is the case. And hey, there’s nothing wrong with that… but you end up sounding silly when you pretend otherwise.

13. ryanmallettsbluntwrap - Jul 9, 2011 at 11:21 AM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=psOypA4pL0s&feature=fvwrel Just relax and calm down already , thanks .

14. derpdederpdederp - Jul 9, 2011 at 11:26 AM

gregg just makes no sense. first, he says there was something wrong with ortiz taking exception to 3 inside pitches that were meant to drill him. im pretty sure most players would take exception to a pitcher trying to plunk them late in a blowout. second, gregg brings payroll into this. i have no idea why he does this except perhaps he is unhappy he is too bad at his job to be wanted by a team with a payroll like the red sox.

• ryanmallettsbluntwrap - Jul 9, 2011 at 11:34 AM

Valid point derpdederpderp

15. stevem7 - Jul 9, 2011 at 11:52 AM

Its the bottom of the 8th, your team is up by 7 runs, the count is 3-0 and you swing? No, the bit of an idiot is David Ortiz. Not once, but twice. First for swinging at a 3-0 pitch in that situation which is just piling on and second for charging the mound no matter the circumstances. Boston is famous for the number of hit batters their pitchers plunk and Ortiz was not hit. He acted like a total rookie and a dunce and I hope he gets the longest suspension of the ones who get suspended.

• derpdederpdederp - Jul 9, 2011 at 12:07 PM

im pretty sure trying to intentionally plunk a batter (and missing) three times is considered a more serious contravention of the unwritten rules than swinging on a 3 – 0 count is. gregg is just a classless idiot and anybody who places the blame squarely on ortiz is not much better

16. mornelithe - Jul 9, 2011 at 1:21 PM

It’s pretty obvious that both sides made mistakes last night. Gregg for running his mouth after Ortiz popped up, and Ortiz for charging the mound. We can argue back and forth who is more to blame, but both sides are guilty for what transpired.

I personally have an issue with hitting batters, as ‘strategy’. I think it’s a terrible risk to take, considering that pitchers already can exhibit control problems to the point of hitting batters, accidently. What happens if you mess up the delivery on a bean-ball, and tag someone in the face? I simply don’t think someone’s career, or sight, is worth risking, over putting someone on base.

That having been said, Ortiz should know better, and I do expect more out of him. He generally doesn’t respond well to people going inside on him frequently, however, he’s typically more laid-back than that. Hopefully, the coming suspension will be enough of a lesson for him, and that he learns from his mistake last night. If not, then he deserves the next suspension and fine coming to him for losing it when he simply could’ve just run it out and allowed Gregg to be ejected.

Gregg, simply needs to grow up. Getting your butt handed to you, is no reason to resort to mouth-running, or hitting batters intentionally. You get paid tons of cash, regardless. It sucks being in the same division as the Yankee’s, Jays, Red Sox and Rays, but that’s how this pie is sliced. You’re stuck there unless you can get MLB to alter the divisions.

• danceinqueens - Jul 10, 2011 at 1:08 PM

What batter did Gregg hit?

• mornelithe - Jul 11, 2011 at 8:20 AM

The same batter Gonzalez didn’t hit, and got ejected.

• duckpizza - Jul 10, 2011 at 2:57 PM

Finally! Someone with sense!

17. randomdigits - Jul 9, 2011 at 2:43 PM

Sorry I am late to the party but where exactly did he “pretty much admit” trying to hit Ortiz?

Mind you given the way Ortiz posed earlier in the game getting hit would have been warranted.

Why would the O’s wait till the 8th to hit Ortiz, and then risk losing their closer and not just have one of the myrid of relievers they used during the game do it earlier? You know one of the guys they ship back and forth from Norfolk every couple of weeks.

If the O’s were sending a message it would have been better served earlier. Papi, leans over the plate, all armored up constantly and he needs to get pushed back off the plate.

18. mornelithe - Jul 9, 2011 at 4:56 PM

Sort of off-topic, but I noticed this last night when Gregg came up to the mound….anyone else see an uncanny resemblance to Henry Rollins?

19. danceinqueens - Jul 10, 2011 at 1:01 PM

Author either didn’t watch the game, doesn’t understand baseball or is total Red Sox homer. One of those is the only way I can fathom him writing an article that represents the situation so poorly.

Jackie Robinson Day is bittersweet