Jul 9, 2011, 12:35 AM EDT
The replacements for Alex Rodriguez (knee) and Derek Jeter (calf) are in, and they are the expected names. Kevin Youkilis and Jhonny Peralta will take the open spots at third base and shortstop on the AL squad.
Youkilis leads all major league third basemen with an .884 OPS this season. He’s hit .275 with 12 homers and 59 RBI for the Red Sox, who moved one game ahead of A-Rod’s Yankees for first place in the AL East by beating Baltimore tonight.
Peralta has hit .313/.364/.533 for an .897 OPS that leads AL shortstops. He’s homered 14 times and driven in 50 runs for a Tigers team that has pulled with a half-game of the Indians for first place in the AL Central.
So, the American League got these two right after the foolish choice of Jordan Walden as Mariano Rivera’s replacement and the NL’s decision to pick Andre Ethier over Andrew McCutchen in replacing Shane Victorino.
- Bryce Harper pulled from Saturday’s game for not hustling 56
- Report: MLB likely to adjust rules for plays at home and transfer catches 16
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 17
- Giancarlo Stanton sends the Marlins to victory with a walk-off grand slam 22
- Jason Bartlett will retire after 10 years in the big leagues 11
- Hank Aaron is getting vile racist hate mail in retaliation for pointing out that racism still exists (248)
- “They Don’t Know Henry” (167)
- Doug Glanville’s story about being racially profiled at his own home (125)
- There is still a racial divide in baseball (112)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (96)