Jul 9, 2011, 12:35 AM EST
The replacements for Alex Rodriguez (knee) and Derek Jeter (calf) are in, and they are the expected names. Kevin Youkilis and Jhonny Peralta will take the open spots at third base and shortstop on the AL squad.
Youkilis leads all major league third basemen with an .884 OPS this season. He’s hit .275 with 12 homers and 59 RBI for the Red Sox, who moved one game ahead of A-Rod’s Yankees for first place in the AL East by beating Baltimore tonight.
Peralta has hit .313/.364/.533 for an .897 OPS that leads AL shortstops. He’s homered 14 times and driven in 50 runs for a Tigers team that has pulled with a half-game of the Indians for first place in the AL Central.
So, the American League got these two right after the foolish choice of Jordan Walden as Mariano Rivera’s replacement and the NL’s decision to pick Andre Ethier over Andrew McCutchen in replacing Shane Victorino.
- Matt Kemp remains “in play” for the Red Sox 43
- Robinson Cano “didn’t want to play” for Joe Girardi 94
- Report: Yankees have agreed to a three-year deal with Carlos Beltran 121
- Mike Napoli agrees to two-year, $32 million deal with Red Sox 36
- Curtis Granderson leaves Yankees for Mets (and $60 million) 68
- Robinson Cano agrees to $240 million deal with Mariners (260)
- Yankees agree to seven-year, $153M contract with free agent outfielder Jacoby Ellsbury (160)
- Report: Mariners willing to offer Robinson Cano a 10-year, $240 million deal (143)
- Report: Yankees have agreed to a three-year deal with Carlos Beltran (125)
- Brett Gardner is drawing “significant” trade interest (109)