Ryan Dempster chews out Mike Quade after getting pulled

Jul 9, 2011, 10:03 PM EDT

Ryan Dempster AP

Did we mention that Cubs manager Mike Quade is in over his head?

Quade told Ryan Dempster he was finished after the fifth inning of Saturday’s game against the Pirates, and Dempster went off on him.  Quade gave right back, and the screaming match continued until Dempster made his way to the tunnel.

Dempster had a 5-3 lead when he was pulled after 87 pitches.  The earlier-than-expected removal likely had a lot to do with him missing his last start due to a stomach ailment that sent him to the hospital last weekend.

The Chicago Tribune’s Paul Sullivan points out that Dempster was the first to lobby for Quade as a full-time manager after he replaced Lou Piniella on an interim basis last September.  If even Dempster has soured on him now, it wouldn’t seem to bode well for Quade’s future in Chicago.

It was Dempster’s shortest outing since he was torched for seven runs in one-third of an inning by the Diamondbacks on April 28.

1. deathmonkey41 - Jul 9, 2011 at 10:16 PM

Yeah, you and Craig might have mentioned something about him being in over his head before.

2. willcoop - Jul 9, 2011 at 10:28 PM

Will they go begging for Ryno to come back now? I think he will not come back to the Cubs. That team is an absolute train wreck, no respect for the manager, fielding errors, Quade constantly saying everything is ok. Yeah well, Dumpster just punched his ticket out of Chicago. He can take Zambrano, Soriano, Fukodome, Ramirez, Byrd, Baker, DeWitt, Soto, Wood, the pitching coach, Quade and the whole stinking staff with them! I’m so sick of looking at the lackluster play. Why is it when I look at this team, they look like the fattest team in the league? I’m getting ready to throw up in my mouth.

3. ccad05 - Jul 9, 2011 at 10:34 PM

Byrd can stay seeing as he’s the only one that’s shown up to play for the past two seasons. Everyone else I agree with. They need to get their lazy overpaid a$$e$ out of Chicago.

• hittfamily - Jul 10, 2011 at 1:03 AM

I like Pena, and he is scorching the ball right now. He too can stay.

4. ccad05 - Jul 9, 2011 at 10:37 PM

Highly doubtful ryno will want to come back as bad as the cubs disrespected him last season. Man I wish Cuban could’ve bought the team instead of the baseball clueless rickett’s.

• vanillakokakola - Jul 9, 2011 at 11:58 PM

There’s no way the Cubs disrespected him by not hiring him. Unless you live in a world where working as a middle manager for 2-3 years gets you promoted to Vice President of a company. In which case, I’d love if you could tell me where the portal to said world is.

• vanillakokakola - Jul 10, 2011 at 12:01 AM

Although I do agree with you that I would have LOVED to see Cuban as the owner of the Cubs. He would have brought some much-needed life to this team.

5. addictedzone - Jul 9, 2011 at 11:01 PM

Playing the devil’s advocate here…Dempster put ten guys on base in 5 innings. Maybe he should take his cheap win and keep quiet.

• hittfamily - Jul 10, 2011 at 1:01 AM

Exactly what I was thinking. A WHIP of 2 and an era over 5 for the game. He wasnt exactly throwing a gem.

• johninpa - Jul 10, 2011 at 9:35 AM

As a Pirates fan, I was hoping they would keep him in. You could see we were starting to hit him. Looked like a jerk acting like he did.

6. vanillakokakola - Jul 9, 2011 at 11:57 PM

WOW. Dempster is the definition of a team player and a team leader. I’ve never, ever heard of him doing something like this before.

If Dempster is going so far as to chew him out, I can only wonder how bad things are getting in the clubhouse.

• Tim's Neighbor - Jul 10, 2011 at 5:07 AM

And he’s Canadian. Those guys never get mad.

• theolgoaler - Jul 10, 2011 at 7:17 AM

Don’t watch much ice hockey, eh, Tim? ;-)

At the end of the day, as I often told my son, “They’re still the Cubs!!!” Wotta mess…

• proudlycanadian - Jul 10, 2011 at 7:18 AM

Not so, my neighbor to the south.

• bigdicktater - Jul 10, 2011 at 1:08 PM

Maybe the guys are mellow, but don’t EVER start anything with their women.
        You’ll get your ass handed to you!

7. cahan23 - Jul 10, 2011 at 8:16 AM

Quade is a 4A manager. He hired a 3rd base coach with no experience and has admitted that he is learning…learning at the major league level? This says it ALL!

8. danberman4 - Jul 10, 2011 at 8:22 AM

Seems like tis is typical Cubs. Arguments in the dugout happened when Dusty Baker was there, too. I think they never win.

9. PanchoHerreraFanClub - Jul 10, 2011 at 8:38 AM

Well, with all the pressure but on the Cubs this year by Craig picking them to win the Central, this was to be expected. The inmates have been running the asylum for years in Chicago.

10. ccad05 - Jul 10, 2011 at 11:01 AM

Ryno deserves a shot whether it be with the cubs or the phillies. He’s already proven he can manage players and command respect. Buy quade? Really? Only gave him the job cause they wouldn’t have to pay him as much. Good guy maybe but no baseball smarts. Put him back on the bench……… At the bus station so he can get outta here

11. Bob Franko - Jul 13, 2011 at 9:44 AM

Vanilla – you’re right except for the fact that the middle manager spent 20 years as a hall-of-fame player and then five years as a manager at different minor league levels. I think 25+ years around the game warrants at least some consideration. Clearly Mike Quade’s 17 years as a minor league manager have ill-prepared him for major league experience – he routinely mishandles pitchers, makes odd switches that are often questioned by Bob Brenley and has lost control of the team – evidenced most recently by Ryan Dempster tearing into him from the top step of the dug out. That said – I don’t know that Sandberg would have any more success with this team, but I’d have to believe he’d at least keep the respect of his players and probably be a better in-game manager. That’s just a guess though.

This was 'the perfect baseball game'
  1. S. Kazmir (5133)