Jul 9, 2011, 8:35 AM EST
The Pirates stayed within a game of the first-place Brewers last night with a thrilling 7-4 win over the Cubs. They took the lead on a go-ahead three-run homer by catcher Michael McKenry off Carlos Marmol in the bottom of the eighth inning. And if McKenry’s name doesn’t ring a bell, don’t feel too bad. It was the first home run of his major league career.
Who knows how long they can keep this up, but it’s pretty cool to see that the Pirates are at least relevant in July.
Your Friday box scores:
Rays vs. Yankees: POSTPONED
- Report: Mariners break off talks with Robinson Cano after Jay Z “overplayed his hand” 76
- UPDATE: Mariners planning to offer nine years, $225 million to Robinson Cano 86
- MLB, NPB nearing new posting system agreement 9
- Report: Talks between the Mets and Curtis Granderson have “intensified” 31
- Yankees agree to seven-year, $153M contract with free agent outfielder Jacoby Ellsbury 159
- Yankees agree to seven-year, $153M contract with free agent outfielder Jacoby Ellsbury (159)
- Report: Mariners willing to offer Robinson Cano a 10-year, $240 million deal (143)
- When will the Yankees regret the Jacoby Ellsbury contract? (99)
- Robinson Cano met with the Mariners in Seattle (87)
- UPDATE: Mariners planning to offer nine years, $225 million to Robinson Cano (86)