Jul 9, 2011, 8:35 AM EDT
The Pirates stayed within a game of the first-place Brewers last night with a thrilling 7-4 win over the Cubs. They took the lead on a go-ahead three-run homer by catcher Michael McKenry off Carlos Marmol in the bottom of the eighth inning. And if McKenry’s name doesn’t ring a bell, don’t feel too bad. It was the first home run of his major league career.
Who knows how long they can keep this up, but it’s pretty cool to see that the Pirates are at least relevant in July.
Your Friday box scores:
Rays vs. Yankees: POSTPONED
- Hank Aaron is getting vile racist hate mail in retaliation for pointing out that racism still exists (241)
- The Red Sox are still steamed that a PED guy played against them in the playoffs last year (130)
- Doug Glanville’s story about being racially profiled at his own home (125)
- There is still a racial divide in baseball (109)
- Must-Click Link: Yasiel Puig’s harrowing journey to the United States (95)