Settling the Score: Friday’s results

Jul 9, 2011, 8:35 AM EDT

Chicago Cubs v Pittsburgh Pirates Getty Images

The Pirates stayed within a game of the first-place Brewers last night with a thrilling 7-4 win over the Cubs. They took the lead on a go-ahead three-run homer by catcher Michael McKenry off Carlos Marmol in the bottom of the eighth inning. And if McKenry’s name doesn’t ring a bell, don’t feel too bad. It was the first home run of his major league career.

Prominent All-Star snub Andrew McCutchen also homered in the victory while Joel Hanrahan pitched a perfect ninth inning for his 26th save in 26 chances.

Who knows how long they can keep this up, but it’s pretty cool to see that the Pirates are at least relevant in July.

Your Friday box scores:

Tigers 6, Royals 4

Padres 0, Dodgers 1

Mariners 3, Angels 4

Mets 5, Giants 2

Rays vs. Yankees: POSTPONED

1. halladaysbiceps - Jul 9, 2011 at 8:45 AM

Juan Perez 9 pitch, strike out the side performance in the 10th inning was very unexpectant and a pleasant suprise for the Phils win last night. Doc did what he had to do, giving the Phils 7 innings of 2 run, no walk ball. Good win for the Phils.

Next up today: Tommy Hanson vs. Cliff Lee. Should be a good game. 4:10PM start.

• drmonkeyarmy - Jul 9, 2011 at 9:06 AM

Stutes and Bastardo were also very composed and impressive. Bastardo has now given up 1 hit in the past 42 at bats.

• halladaysbiceps - Jul 9, 2011 at 10:13 AM

Yeah, good doctor. Bastardo’s Bastards, a facebook group that was set up a while back, must be pumped up. He is very underrated this year. Stutes is pitching like “Studs”.

Can’t wait until 4:10PM today for a great game.

2. bleedgreen - Jul 9, 2011 at 9:29 AM

I’m very impressed with Stutes. Tony NoDad has at least pitched in the majors before those year and started games before. Stutes came from no where and looks like a 10 year vet out there. Keeps his composure, throws strikes when he has to. All while looking 17 years old.

• chadjones27 - Jul 9, 2011 at 11:10 AM

Tony NoDad? Wow. These odd nicknames need to stop. It took me a bit. I’m thinking who in the Phils/Braves game last night or today has the name Tony. Then the “NoDad” thing got me thinking, oooooh, maybe he’s trying to be funny with the whole Bastardo thing. Antonio = Tony. Bastardo = NoDad. I get it now. Had a friend that referred to Pedro Feliz and Happy Peter.

• Lukehart80 - Jul 9, 2011 at 11:26 AM

When I was a teenager, Jose Mesa was “Joe Table.” Like most teenagers, I thought I was SOOOOO clever.

• shanemcdowell - Jul 9, 2011 at 11:54 AM

I think it was Harry Caray who used to call Henry Blanco “Henry White.” I’d admit, I chuckled nearly every time.

3. gogigantos - Jul 9, 2011 at 9:32 AM

reserved respect and honest annoyance,, that is how I felt about the cheese steaks from Phillie for most of my life,, had met a few in the bleachers at the ‘Stick, and lived around a few that made me feel just that,,, visiting Phillie left me feeling about the same,,,, how could you boo Mike Schmidt,,,, well I booed a few of my own, so,, ok,,,, what I don’t get is the whining in the midst of a season of dominance,,, what I don’t get is the totally unnatural need to make it all about you and yours,, unless it is a natural fear of succeeding in the post???? if my boys can’t score some effing runs,,,,,,,

4. gogigantos - Jul 9, 2011 at 9:35 AM

shine a light on Nate,, love a good defender with an arm finally hitting more than his weight,, the small pleasures that get you to the crap shoot that is the post season,,,, bring it on Atl and Phi,, we gonna have the West and see you then,,, HAHAHAHAHA, in a mini me kinda must be evil way,,,,,,,,,,

5. yankeesfanlen - Jul 9, 2011 at 9:56 AM

My prediction on DJ3K has been postponed due to rain.
    Why would the Rays agree to a single admission double header (which could not have been televised due to Fox blackout @4PM) and not to a separate admission game at 7PM?

• jimbo1949 - Jul 9, 2011 at 10:50 AM

Kepner in the Times said if it were a straight doubleheader Tampa had no say in the decision. The Yankees voted for day/night because they were both near sellouts and could avoid the Fox blackout for the 2nd game. Sept 22nd for makeup date. I guess some Rays had plans for tonight.

• Lukehart80 - Jul 9, 2011 at 11:31 AM

How dare the Rays not do what the Yankees wanted!

Let’s not kid ourselves, this is about one thing, and one thing only, and he’s still got two games to get two hits. He can handle that, right?

• yankeesfanlen - Jul 9, 2011 at 12:02 PM

Well, of course it is the money. Beyond that, though, you are disappointing 48,000 eager fans that would gladly pay the price of admission.Those seats would be unavailable forever if an un-planned single admission twin bill were to be offered.
        And Beep-beep better get those two hits now and get rid of this PITA distraction.

• Lukehart80 - Jul 9, 2011 at 2:01 PM

Well, there it is, and quite a way to do it.

6. Old Gator - Jul 9, 2011 at 9:58 AM

The Feesh now appear to be determined to impersonate relevance again. They win three in a row for the first time since that by now heavily mythologized sweep of the Brobdingnagians wherein, as Johnny Bench sagely observed, Buster Posey got taught a hard lesson about the right and wrong ways to block the plate. The strange attractor can now be seen from dusk till dawn with the naked eye, that morning star of mediocrity towards which the Feesh may now reach like some socialist-realist statue of the universal laborer.

Meanwhile, Hanley Ramirez has been just mauling the baseball and starting to commit mental errors at shortstop again. You know Hanley is going well at the plate when his pegs to first wind up in the first couple of rows of field boxes or infield rollers do Rube Goldberg routines up his left arm. The Iron Giant appears to have found the magic elixir to clean up his tear ducts and is crushing the ball again, alternating between laser beams and moonshots. I guess he heard the shuttle was done with and wants prove that in a pinch he can put payloads into orbit with his bat.

Also, wonder of wonders, Javier Vasquez has strung together about seven or eight pretty good starts in a row. Yes, yes, this was the Asstros but look at the pattern. There was a time in recent memory when Javy couldn’t have set down 16 of 18 leprechauns in a row, not to mention more or less major leaguers.

The Feesh have a string of series against second division teams and a chance, however slim, to climb back into it. All they need to do is keep the Curmudgeonly Undead alive for a few more months.

• FC - Jul 9, 2011 at 10:08 AM

Yeah the Fish have won three in a row… against the Astros… call me when they win 3 in a row against the Mets or the Nationals.

• FC - Jul 9, 2011 at 10:12 AM

And they get to the play the Cubs after the break! You know… the 2nd worst team in MLB… The Fish might have an opportunity here to win 7 or 8 straight.

• gogigantos - Jul 9, 2011 at 10:18 AM

the sad relevance of the Feesh is that they continue to make, bilk from their fans and league, money,,, not really competing this season are they,, and the bill of goods sold that was an Uggla,,,, Borg and Evil Empires,,,, don’t really know what to think of South Florida, never been there.

• jimbo1949 - Jul 9, 2011 at 10:56 AM

Leprechauns? I thought they were banned from MLB after Eddie Gaedel. Besides Javy has a problem with a normal size strike zone.

7. Reggie's Bush - Jul 9, 2011 at 10:03 AM

I need your help fellas (and ladies)

I am going to be in a co-ed kickball team, mostly for the flipcups afterwards but whatever…. so I came up with the following idea for my team:

Keep some type of sabremetric stats for strictly our team and after the first two weeks (small sample size, I know) I will try to calculate our vorp or war, or whichever stat you guys think would be most feasible to keep in our Carlos Delgado-esque composition notebook which will be transfered to an excel spreadsheet for next week.

The plan is to have the worst player out of us, not counting defense because trying to implement a UZR would be wayyyy too much work, buy a designated amount of pitchers after the kickball game for flipcups, or shots for the team.

My question is which stats do you suggest for me to keep and can it be calculated with the smallest sample size ever? And what do you think of the name “Sabremetric Tooth Tigers”

Also, Lets Go Mets!

• chadjones27 - Jul 9, 2011 at 11:14 AM

what about WKIP+, which is Walk, Kicks per Inning Pitched adjusted for how drunk you are.

8. Old Gator - Jul 9, 2011 at 3:57 PM

No one sold anyone a bill of goods. The Braves jumped at the chance to grab Uggla and paid him a lot more than he was worth after he turned down a multiyear $48mm deal from, of all people, Scrooge McLoria. If you want to hold anyone accountable for that ridiculous contract, blame the Bravos.

And let’s face it, if the Feesh are bilking their fans, they’re small time operators indeed. Come to Joeprodolsharklife Stadium some time and count heads. Bilking the league for luxury tax money? Yes indeed. And the league showed its anger by getting behind Scrooge and the Chihuahua in bilking the residents of Macondo for funds to build Macondo Banana Massacre Field.

Jackie Robinson Day is bittersweet