Jul 9, 2011, 10:17 PM EDT
A night after brawling, the Red Sox and Orioles played a quiet one Saturday, even after a HBP and warnings getting issued.
The HBP came with two down in the seventh and Boston up 3-0. John Lackey drilled Derrek Lee in the leg with what seemed to be a purpose pitch. Lee, though, is about as much of a professional as there is in the game, and he simply took his base.
While warnings were issued, the rest of the game was incident free, and the Red Sox beat the Orioles for the third straight night, this time by a 4-0 score.
The Red Sox will go for the sweep Sunday having outscored the Orioles 24-7 the last three days.
For Lackey, it was easily his best performance since April. Five days after getting shelled for seven runs in 2 1/3 innings by the Blue Jays, he allowed just three hits and struck out seven.
- 2015 Preview: Philadelphia Phillies 0
- 2015 Preview: Cincinnati Reds 38
- The average Major League Baseball salary this year will be more than $4 million — a record 22
- 2015 Preview: Tampa Bay Rays 18
- The Cubs assign Kris Bryant and Addison Russell to the minors, option Javier Baez as well 70
- 2015 Preview: Arizona Diamondbacks 8
- 2015 Preview: Toronto Blue Jays 69
- Mariners prospect Victor Sanchez has died 26
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (122)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (118)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (91)
- The MLBPA releases a statement on Kris Bryant, mentions possible litigation (90)
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? (88)