Jul 9, 2011, 10:17 PM EDT
A night after brawling, the Red Sox and Orioles played a quiet one Saturday, even after a HBP and warnings getting issued.
The HBP came with two down in the seventh and Boston up 3-0. John Lackey drilled Derrek Lee in the leg with what seemed to be a purpose pitch. Lee, though, is about as much of a professional as there is in the game, and he simply took his base.
While warnings were issued, the rest of the game was incident free, and the Red Sox beat the Orioles for the third straight night, this time by a 4-0 score.
The Red Sox will go for the sweep Sunday having outscored the Orioles 24-7 the last three days.
For Lackey, it was easily his best performance since April. Five days after getting shelled for seven runs in 2 1/3 innings by the Blue Jays, he allowed just three hits and struck out seven.
- The extraordinarily odd, 13-player Dodgers-Marlins-Braves trade is done 0
- Breaking: The Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers 84
- Both the Phillies and the Rangers did well in the Cole Hamels trade 63
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies 106
- Mets, Brewers call off reported Carlos Gomez trade 76
- Dodgers, Marlins, Braves trade involving Mat Latos “simply being held up by paperwork” 76
- The Tigers are going to “reboot;” plan to trade Price and Cespedes 74
- Why do managers wear uniforms anyway? 49
- The MLBPA is considering withholding cooperation with ESPN, Fox over Colin Cowherd’s comments (157)
- The Cubs are in discussions with the Phillies on Cole Hamels (146)
- Colin Cowherd wonders how baseball can be considered “complicated” if Dominicans can understand it (129)
- Major League Baseball rips Colin Cowherd in an official statement (123)
- Settling the Scores: Wednesday’s results (106)