Jul 9, 2011, 10:17 PM EDT
A night after brawling, the Red Sox and Orioles played a quiet one Saturday, even after a HBP and warnings getting issued.
The HBP came with two down in the seventh and Boston up 3-0. John Lackey drilled Derrek Lee in the leg with what seemed to be a purpose pitch. Lee, though, is about as much of a professional as there is in the game, and he simply took his base.
While warnings were issued, the rest of the game was incident free, and the Red Sox beat the Orioles for the third straight night, this time by a 4-0 score.
The Red Sox will go for the sweep Sunday having outscored the Orioles 24-7 the last three days.
For Lackey, it was easily his best performance since April. Five days after getting shelled for seven runs in 2 1/3 innings by the Blue Jays, he allowed just three hits and struck out seven.
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 41
- VIDEO: Derek Jeter passes Carl Yastrzemski for seventh on all-time hits list 56
- Ray Rice is awful, but let’s not pretend baseball has a great record on domestic violence 91
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 50
- Mariners’ interest in Matt Kemp is “very real” 29
- Astros players upset over Mark Appel’s promotion to Double-A, bullpen session in Houston 45
- Four theories about the Hall of Fame voting changes 24
- Troy Tulowitzki is visiting a sports hernia surgeon 10
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams (201)
- Verducci: baseball should think about an “illegal defense” rule to combat shifts (165)
- Yankees acquire Chase Headley from Padres (108)
- David Ortiz passes Carl Yastrzemski on the all-time home run list — is he a Hall of Famer? (92)
- Ray Rice is awful, but let’s not pretend baseball has a great record on domestic violence (91)