Jul 10, 2011, 4:17 PM EST
Welp, the New York Post was right.
The Yankees’ medical staff diagnosed A-Rod with a torn meniscus on Saturday and recommended that he undergo a knee procedure. After getting a second opinion Sunday morning in Miami, Rodriguez agreed.
New York has a five-game lead in the American League Wild Card standings and will hope that doesn’t fluctuate in A-Rod’s absence. It could, but not without another team making a big charge. The Rays are 5 games back and the Angels are 5.5 games back — and both teams have major holes.
The Yanks, as of Sunday, are neck-and-neck in their own division with the Red Sox. They should survive.
Rodriguez, 35, has hit .295/.366/.485 this season with 13 homers and 52 RBI in 344 plate appearances. With Eric Chavez (abdomen, back, foot) still ailing, Eduardo Nunez and Ramiro Pena will be handling third base.
- Report: Red Sox make $95 million offer to Pablo Sandoval 75
- White Sox sign Adam LaRoche to two-year, $25 million deal 35
- Report: Red Sox offer Jon Lester six years, $110-120 million 72
- Report: “There is a 90 percent chance that Pablo Sandoval will sign with the Red Sox” 130
- A’s sign Billy Butler to three-year, $30 million contract 84
- Cardinals reportedly joining pursuit of Jon Lester 65
- Giancarlo Stanton’s contract is backloaded. REALLY backloaded. 148
- Braves and Cardinals swap Jason Heyward and Shelby Miller in blockbuster deal 157
- Braves and Cardinals swap Jason Heyward and Shelby Miller in blockbuster deal (157)
- Giancarlo Stanton’s contract is backloaded. REALLY backloaded. (148)
- Blue Jays sign Russell Martin to five-year, $82 million deal (135)
- Report: “There is a 90 percent chance that Pablo Sandoval will sign with the Red Sox” (130)
- Sexual assualt charges reinstated against Tigers pitcher Evan Reed (129)