Alex Rodriguez likely to opt for surgery on right knee

Jul 10, 2011, 10:46 AM EDT

a-rod claps getty Getty Images

Sources informed Mark Hale and Joel Sherman of the New York Post late Saturday night that Yankees third baseman Alex Rodriguez is “strongly leaning” toward undergoing surgery to repair the partially torn meniscus in his right knee.

Rodriguez will arrive in Miami on Sunday to get a second opinion from Dr. Lee Kaplan, who performed a knee procedure on Yankees veteran Jorge Posada last November. The Yankees’ team doctors have already recommended that A-Rod undergoes surgery, but he wants to see if there’s another option before fully committing to going under the knife.

If the Post‘s sources are correct and Rodriguez indeed has his knee surgically-repaired, he’ll be out for a little over a month. The 35-year-old was batting .295/.366/.485 this season with 13 homers and 52 RBI through 344 plate appearances. He will be replaced at the hot corner primarily by Eduardo Nunez and Ramiro Pena.

1. yankeesfanlen - Jul 10, 2011 at 10:53 AM

Might as well have this now so ARod is ready for prime time, the last six weeks of the season are going to be most important now.
    Still don’t know what’s happening with Jorge Vazquez, he’d be my choice for third base.

• drmonkeyarmy - Jul 10, 2011 at 10:54 AM

Leave A-Rod alone!!!!

2. deathmonkey41 - Jul 10, 2011 at 11:55 AM

You can probably replace Ramiro Pena with a bag of dirt

3. 62rocker - Jul 10, 2011 at 11:57 AM

Good riddance, A-Roid.

4. mydogfenway2004 - Jul 10, 2011 at 12:03 PM

I’ve had surgeries for torn meniscus on both knees and I would be amazed if A-Rod could come back in one month. Granted he’ll have world class rehab but both times it was about a year after surgery that I was pain free. If he’s playing a month after surgery I’ll tip my Boston cap to the guy.

5. yankeesgameday - Jul 10, 2011 at 12:17 PM

Again, when is Eric chavez coming back? He should be the answer at third right now.

• deathmonkey41 - Jul 10, 2011 at 12:28 PM

I’ve been asking the same thing. I can’t seem to get an answer.

• jwbiii - Jul 10, 2011 at 1:15 PM

Chavez went to New York last week for tests relating to an abdominal injury.

Jackie Robinson Day is bittersweet