Jul 10, 2011, 2:57 PM EDT
By the time the day ends, you and I might be All-Stars.
See, a few years back, MLB, in response to complaints about the All-Star managers favoring their own players, gave the players a chance to vote on All-Star picks.
And that wasn’t a bad idea. The problem was that MLB now keeps turning back to those players ballots each time a players pick for the All-Star Game withdraws.
We also have a rule about how every pitcher starting the Sunday before the All-Star Game had to be replaced on the roster.
Thanks to MLB’s decison to create a set of rules about how replacements have to be chosen Sabathia, who was probably deserving anyway, gets his All-Star appearance and any applicable bonus, all without having to travel to Phoenix.
And Ogando, who is 9-3 with a 2.92 ERA for the Rangers, will go in his place and perhaps pitch in the game.
The league also announced today that rookie Michael Pineda would replace Justin Verlander, another Sunday starter. Later, another pitcher is expected to be named in Felix Hernandez‘s place. We’re planning to have a full update on all of the All-Star roster changes after that.
- David Ortiz is more likely to be boned in Hall of Fame voting for being a DH than for PED stuff 110
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 71
- The Marlins are going to change everything except their biggest problem this offseason 52
- Drooling over Miguel Sano’s incredible numbers through 50 career games 35
- Matt Williams puts up another strong performance in his quest to get himself fired 105
- Settling the Scores: Tuesday’s results 81
- Yankees reveal Mark Teixeira’s shin injury is “more than we thought” 16
- There’s a chicken pox outbreak in the Royals’ clubhouse and multiple players are infected 28
- Sarah Palin sticks up for Curt Schilling, tells ESPN to “stick to sports” (266)
- David Ortiz is more likely to be boned in Hall of Fame voting for being a DH than for PED stuff (114)
- Matt Williams puts up another strong performance in his quest to get himself fired (105)
- Why Mike Mussina keeps getting hosed in the Hall of Fame voting (89)
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights (87)