A’s suspend top pitching prospect Ian Krol for tweet

Jul 10, 2011, 3:33 PM EST

Ian Krol - Topps

Ian Krol, who posts on Twitter under @KingKrol9, was suspended indefinitely by the A’s on Sunday after an offensive tweet.

The San Francisco Chronicle’s Susan Slusser reports that the tweet, since deleted, included a “gay slur along with some other offensive language.”

Krol had all of 90 twitter followers prior to the announcement, but the A’s were obviously keeping tabs on him.  Some of the gems people were missing out on:

March 10: I’m the king, and I be smokin’

March 13: Man I feel like moneyyy

March 19: The moon’s on steriods #Supermoon…Wisconsin #WINNING…

Krol, 20, was a seventh-round pick in 2009 even though he was suspended for his senior year of high school for an alcohol-related offense.  He went 9-4 with a 2.65 ERA at low-A Kane County last season.  He missed the start of this season because of an elbow injury, but he resumed pitching in the Arizona League at the end of last month and he had thrown five hitless innings to date.

1. yankeesgameday - Jul 10, 2011 at 3:49 PM

Whatever. Another uneducated kid playing baseball. Shocker. Turn off rush limbaugh sometime and read a book and stay off social media.

Baseball needs an NBA inspired policy forcing at least a year of college on these kids.

• frankgarrett - Jul 10, 2011 at 11:49 PM

*FART NOISE* YANKEES SUCK

2. metalhead65 - Jul 10, 2011 at 6:02 PM

right next step re-education training,I mean sensitivity training because he must learn to think like and share the same beliefs as everyone else. god forbid that anyone should be offended by anything somebody else says. I probably just offended somebody for putting GOD in the sentence. guess what?I do not care! I happen to believe in GOD and if you don’t to bad! he is young and will figure out soon enough that he can’t use “offensive” terms or he won’t last long before the pc police run him out of the game. I love the tree hugger idea of free speech,it’s ok as long as they approve but if they find it offensive it must be corrected.

• Reflex - Jul 10, 2011 at 9:55 PM

Free speech does not mean freedom from consequences. He has the freedom to be as much of a jackass as he wishes. Nobody, left wing or otherwise, thinks he should be banned from such. But the Oakland A’s have the freedom to penalize him for that speech. They are his employer, and if I went and made a bunch of slurs against and ethnic, religious or other group while in some way representing my employer I would likely face sanctions as well.

The A’s have fans of all genders, ethnicities, religions and beliefs. Players represent the A’s, and are in fact thier most prominent public faces. The A’s would be negligent to not respond when a player in their system starts bashing a portion of their customer base. To say nothing of the ethical and moral implications.

3. brian1413 - Jul 10, 2011 at 6:14 PM

I am tired of this assault on people who use language some find offensive. Oh no he used a gay slur what a terrible human being suspend him for good. It is wrong the kid isn’t using roids or cheating let him be get over it.

4. baseballisboring - Jul 10, 2011 at 6:50 PM

I wish we had the actual tweet…but I would assume whatever he said wasn’t worth being suspended over…”Faggot never meant gay back in my day. When you called someone a faggot, it was cause they were being a faggot! Saying annoying faggy things like ‘People from Phoenix are Phoenicians…shut up, faggot!”

• yankeesgameday - Jul 10, 2011 at 10:16 PM

Oh.
      my.
      god.

you could not have illustrated how to use the word more ignorantly in that casually hateful way that causes the greatest amount of harm if you tried.

the off the cuff way you are talking about the word is the textbook example of how slurs of every kind demean the class of people the word was created to hurt in the first place.

replace the f word with the n word in your sentences and re-read them. Does it feel as funny to you now? Would someone be outraged by that? It’s the same feeling and use whether it is the n word or the f word. and getting across that the casual use of that word is as hurtful and painful to a homosexual as the n word is the reason people take it very seriously now.

it isn’t about your freedom of speech. It’s about tens of thousands of people forced to grow up so terrified of their sexuality that they commit suicide.

as a culture we are only now becoming aware of the power these words have to harm young homosexuals. I applaud every attempt to educate people that using the word the way you just did is incredibly harmful. please begin to understand it is a hateful word whether you believe it to be or not.

• yankeesgameday - Jul 10, 2011 at 10:20 PM

And just to be clear, the f word always meant gay, whether you knew it or not. And talk to me about the British use of the word as a log for a fire, or a cigarette. You didn’t know it meant gay I don’t believe you know about the foriegn/historical origins of it either

• deathmonkey41 - Jul 11, 2011 at 10:02 AM

Mmmmmmm cigarette….

• FC - Jul 11, 2011 at 10:38 AM

Interesting you bring up the N-word. I find it highly confusing that black people use it freely between themselves but get puffy and offended if a person of a different skin color used it. One might argue that THEY are being racist by treating folks differently due to their tan or lack of one.

Personally I find we attach far too much value to words of a certain kind. If we didn’t give these words their importance they would have nowhere near the impact they have. I equate it to the school yard bullies: if you give it undue importance they will keep using it against you. If you take the sticks and stones approach you actually take power and meaning from the words and they will cease to be used and hateful and perhaps fall by the wayside, sparingly used in a different context. But the victims, by harping on it and highlighting them, keep the hate words alive.

• baseballisboring - Jul 11, 2011 at 3:50 AM

Ha…figured this post would get mixed reactions.

I mean first of all, I didn’t write that (note quotation marks), it’s from a Louis CK bit where his larger point is that putting these words on a pedestal only serves to emphasize their hurtfulness. I have no hatred/intolerance towards gay people. None, at all, I have several gay friends with whom I have conversations that would make most straight males uncomfortable. But why be so PC about it? Like damn near every male on this site hasn’t used the word faggot at some point or another…

No, I haven’t studied the historical origins of the word faggot, but I don’t think it really matters. The meaning of the word in modern day society is more important, and I think faggot is on the same level as, say, retarded. I don’t know anyone who has ever pointed at an autistic kid and called him a ‘retard’, but everyone on here has that one dumbass friend who says things that just make you shake your head and go “Dude…you are retarded!” Context means everything, you know. The historical and emotional impact of the N word is much more serious and intense.

The off the cuff way one would say faggot? Puhlease. No one says nigger, spic or chink off the cuff. THOSE are hateful words. If I call someone a faggot…it’s cause they’re bein’ a faggot. The F word (thank you SO much for hiding behind the first letter, clearly that doesn’t convey the same thought) is not what makes gay people afraid to grow up the way they are and be themselves. It’s deeply rooted cultural bias that goes way beyond a simple word. If hearing the “F word” was all gay people had to deal with in this country you wouldn’t see TV commercials about it. Your high and mighty, artificial political correctness is so god damn BORING.

• baseballisboring - Jul 11, 2011 at 3:59 AM

And before someone tries to call me out on it…NO, I’m not equating homosexuality and mental disabilities, I was trying to equate the words based strictly on offensiveness.

5. derpdederpdederp - Jul 11, 2011 at 12:28 AM

the accompanying picture shows this kid even looks like a real class act…

6. sawxalicious - Jul 12, 2011 at 3:50 AM

I hate the PC police, but it sounds as if this guy probably stepped over the line given his (limited) position in the public eye. As much as I don’t like to judge a book by its cover, his picture combined with the tweets included in the story makes me imagine him talking to himself about how great and awesome he is…while he bags my groceries next year when he’s out of baseball….

Cubs shore up rotation with Jon Lester