Jul 10, 2011, 7:13 PM EDT
What is it with umpires not knowing the count this year?
The walk came with one out and Torii Hunter on first base. Felix Hernandez was able to bounce back and hold the Angels scoreless from there, but he went on to give up a two-run homer to Mark Trumbo in the fourth.
Those were the only two runs Hernandez allowed in a no-decision.
Dan Haren also allowed just two runs, both scoring in the first, in going 8 2/3 innings for his 10th win of the year. The Angels took the lead off David Pauley in the eighth when Alberto Callaspo doubled in two runs.
In a 4-2 game, Haren nearly got the chance to go the distance, even after Dustin Ackley doubled to start the bottom of the ninth. However, after Haren retired Justin Smoak and Adam Kennedy, manager Mike Scioscia opted to replace him with Jordan Walden, who struck out Franklin Gutierrez to record his 20th save.
The Angels moved to 50-42 and remained one game back of the Rangers, who beat the A’s for their seventh straight win Sunday. The Angels swept the Mariners and have won four in a row.
For the Mariners, it was the second time this month that they’ve been the victims of a three-ball walk. San Diego’s Cameron Maybin had one on July 2 and went to score the only run in the Padres’ 1-0 victory.
- 2015 Preview: Cincinnati Reds 14
- The average Major League Baseball salary this year will be more than $4 million — a record 18
- 2015 Preview: Tampa Bay Rays 17
- The Cubs assign Kris Bryant and Addison Russell to the minors, option Javier Baez as well 70
- 2015 Preview: Arizona Diamondbacks 8
- 2015 Preview: Toronto Blue Jays 69
- Mariners prospect Victor Sanchez has died 26
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 15
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (122)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (118)
- The MLBPA releases a statement on Kris Bryant, mentions possible litigation (90)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (89)
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? (88)