Jul 10, 2011, 7:13 PM EST
What is it with umpires not knowing the count this year?
The walk came with one out and Torii Hunter on first base. Felix Hernandez was able to bounce back and hold the Angels scoreless from there, but he went on to give up a two-run homer to Mark Trumbo in the fourth.
Those were the only two runs Hernandez allowed in a no-decision.
Dan Haren also allowed just two runs, both scoring in the first, in going 8 2/3 innings for his 10th win of the year. The Angels took the lead off David Pauley in the eighth when Alberto Callaspo doubled in two runs.
In a 4-2 game, Haren nearly got the chance to go the distance, even after Dustin Ackley doubled to start the bottom of the ninth. However, after Haren retired Justin Smoak and Adam Kennedy, manager Mike Scioscia opted to replace him with Jordan Walden, who struck out Franklin Gutierrez to record his 20th save.
The Angels moved to 50-42 and remained one game back of the Rangers, who beat the A’s for their seventh straight win Sunday. The Angels swept the Mariners and have won four in a row.
For the Mariners, it was the second time this month that they’ve been the victims of a three-ball walk. San Diego’s Cameron Maybin had one on July 2 and went to score the only run in the Padres’ 1-0 victory.
- How Commissioner Rob Manfred Can Make Baseball More Appealing 31
- Blue Jays cut off talks for Orioles executive Dan Duquette 34
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts 116
- Yankees reject A-Rod’s apology attempt 46
- Joe Posnanski: Remembering ‘Mr. Cub,’ Ernie Banks 17
- What they’re saying about the passing of Cubs legend Ernie Banks 7
- Alex Rodriguez recently met with incoming MLB commissioner Rob Manfred 15
- Ernie Banks, one of baseball’s greatest players and greatest ambassadors has died at age 83 75
- Bud Selig: The Greatest Commissioner in the History of Baseball (144)
- Max Scherzer’s seven-year deal with Nationals worth $210 million (119)
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts (117)
- Comments of the Day: some of you guys aren’t big Bud Selig fans (77)
- The 2015 Braves have “gravitas” and “veteran leadership” and will have dirty uniforms. Just kill me now. (76)