Jul 10, 2011, 7:13 PM EDT
What is it with umpires not knowing the count this year?
The walk came with one out and Torii Hunter on first base. Felix Hernandez was able to bounce back and hold the Angels scoreless from there, but he went on to give up a two-run homer to Mark Trumbo in the fourth.
Those were the only two runs Hernandez allowed in a no-decision.
Dan Haren also allowed just two runs, both scoring in the first, in going 8 2/3 innings for his 10th win of the year. The Angels took the lead off David Pauley in the eighth when Alberto Callaspo doubled in two runs.
In a 4-2 game, Haren nearly got the chance to go the distance, even after Dustin Ackley doubled to start the bottom of the ninth. However, after Haren retired Justin Smoak and Adam Kennedy, manager Mike Scioscia opted to replace him with Jordan Walden, who struck out Franklin Gutierrez to record his 20th save.
The Angels moved to 50-42 and remained one game back of the Rangers, who beat the A’s for their seventh straight win Sunday. The Angels swept the Mariners and have won four in a row.
For the Mariners, it was the second time this month that they’ve been the victims of a three-ball walk. San Diego’s Cameron Maybin had one on July 2 and went to score the only run in the Padres’ 1-0 victory.
- Phil Hughes could finish the season with the best K/BB ratio in MLB history 4
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 20
- Clayton Kershaw wins his 20th game of the season 10
- Why are so many people acting like Bryce Harper is a bum? 79
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned 89
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 72
- VIDEO: Derek Jeter hits first home run at Yankee Stadium this season 11
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife 103
- Geddy Lee’s baseball obsession makes it really hard for me to hate Rush (108)
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife (103)
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned (89)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (83)
- Umpire ejects jackwagon fan heckling Bryce Harper in Atlanta last night (82)