Jul 10, 2011, 3:25 PM EDT
Pirates setup man Evan Meek posted a 2.14 ERA and 1.05 WHIP in 80 innings last season, vaulting himself into the rung of baseball’s elite relievers.
This year, he’s fallen back to earth in a big way.
Meek has made only 17 relief appearances and is on the 15-day disabled list currently for the second time this season due to shoulder inflammation.
Some might say the Bucs overused him in 2010 and that his throwing shoulder is fatigued from the career-high innings total. Whatever the case, he’s not close to getting back to 100 percent.
According to Rob Biertempfel of the Pittsburgh Tribune-Review, Meek is still in the “strengthening phase” of his recovery and is not close to gaining clearance to begin a throwing program. He will continue working out at the Pirates’ spring training complex until team trainers feel his shoulder is ready. That may take until August.
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 13
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? 77
- 2015 Preview: Atlanta Braves 14
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” 113
- 2015 Preview: Chicago Cubs 14
- Unsigned 2014 No. 1 overall pick Brady Aiken undergoes Tommy John surgery 61
- 2015 Preview: Seattle Mariners 15
- Cardinals add “OT” patch for Oscar Taveras 76
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (116)
- College baseball player cut after making offensive tweet about Mo’ne Davis (115)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (114)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (89)
- Mo’ne Davis says college ballplayer who wrote an offensive tweet about her deserves a second chance (88)