Jul 10, 2011, 3:25 PM EDT
Pirates setup man Evan Meek posted a 2.14 ERA and 1.05 WHIP in 80 innings last season, vaulting himself into the rung of baseball’s elite relievers.
This year, he’s fallen back to earth in a big way.
Meek has made only 17 relief appearances and is on the 15-day disabled list currently for the second time this season due to shoulder inflammation.
Some might say the Bucs overused him in 2010 and that his throwing shoulder is fatigued from the career-high innings total. Whatever the case, he’s not close to getting back to 100 percent.
According to Rob Biertempfel of the Pittsburgh Tribune-Review, Meek is still in the “strengthening phase” of his recovery and is not close to gaining clearance to begin a throwing program. He will continue working out at the Pirates’ spring training complex until team trainers feel his shoulder is ready. That may take until August.
- Phil Hughes could finish the season with the best K/BB ratio in MLB history 8
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 22
- Clayton Kershaw wins his 20th game of the season 10
- Why are so many people acting like Bryce Harper is a bum? 79
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned 91
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 72
- VIDEO: Derek Jeter hits first home run at Yankee Stadium this season 11
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife 103
- Geddy Lee’s baseball obsession makes it really hard for me to hate Rush (108)
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife (103)
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned (91)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (83)
- Umpire ejects jackwagon fan heckling Bryce Harper in Atlanta last night (82)