Jul 10, 2011, 9:08 AM EDT
K-Rod is playing out the final chapter of a three-year, $37 million free agent contract that he signed with the Mets in December 2008. The deal carries a hefty $17.5 million option for 2012 that will vest if he finishes 55 games this season.
He’s on track right now, but New York could trade him to a team with an established closer and end that quest. So Rodriguez is preparing himself for free agency by hiring the best agent around.
Rodriguez, 29, has registered a 3.16 ERA and 46/16 K/BB ratio in 42 2/3 innings this season, saving 23 games in 26 chances. The right-hander has a sparkling 2.54 career ERA and 291 career saves.
- Jose Reyes is on track to be activated Friday 3
- Dustin Pedroia given cortisone injection for sore left wrist, aiming to return Wednesday 1
- Hank Aaron is getting vile racist hate mail in retaliation for pointing out that racism still exists 209
- John Farrell to get fined for being critical of instant replay 47
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 91
- Hank Aaron is getting vile racist hate mail in retaliation for pointing out that racism still exists (213)
- The Red Sox are still steamed that a PED guy played against them in the playoffs last year (129)
- Doug Glanville’s story about being racially profiled at his own home (124)
- We don’t need to celebrate Barry Bonds, but we should avoid whitewashing baseball history (122)
- Must-Click Link: Yasiel Puig’s harrowing journey to the United States (95)