Jul 10, 2011, 9:08 AM EDT
K-Rod is playing out the final chapter of a three-year, $37 million free agent contract that he signed with the Mets in December 2008. The deal carries a hefty $17.5 million option for 2012 that will vest if he finishes 55 games this season.
He’s on track right now, but New York could trade him to a team with an established closer and end that quest. So Rodriguez is preparing himself for free agency by hiring the best agent around.
Rodriguez, 29, has registered a 3.16 ERA and 46/16 K/BB ratio in 42 2/3 innings this season, saving 23 games in 26 chances. The right-hander has a sparkling 2.54 career ERA and 291 career saves.
- Josh Hamilton’s teammates say he’s in great shape and ready to play 3
- Mike Trout hit his 100th career home run to become the youngest member of the 100 HR/100 SB club 20
- Make that two: Alex Rodriguez hits second homer of the night, giving him 658 for his career 36
- Alex Rodriguez hit his 657th career home run 48
- Let’s all just stare at Kris Bryant’s numbers for a while 28
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 39
- The wait is over: The Cubs are calling up top prospect Kris Bryant on Friday 99
- Carlos Gomez headed to disabled list with hamstring injury 11
- The Commissioner’s Office thinks that the Angels could indeed go after Josh Hamilton under his contract (153)
- “Why Ted Cruz is like the Atlanta Braves” (150)
- “We no longer need the terrorists. We’re now so good at terrorizing ourselves.” (143)
- Another argument in favor of making the DH universal (127)
- When it comes to Josh Hamilton, Arte Moreno is a craven opportunist, not a “smart businessman” (116)