Jul 10, 2011, 9:08 AM EDT
K-Rod is playing out the final chapter of a three-year, $37 million free agent contract that he signed with the Mets in December 2008. The deal carries a hefty $17.5 million option for 2012 that will vest if he finishes 55 games this season.
He’s on track right now, but New York could trade him to a team with an established closer and end that quest. So Rodriguez is preparing himself for free agency by hiring the best agent around.
Rodriguez, 29, has registered a 3.16 ERA and 46/16 K/BB ratio in 42 2/3 innings this season, saving 23 games in 26 chances. The right-hander has a sparkling 2.54 career ERA and 291 career saves.
- The Blue Jays pick up Ben Revere from the Phillies 0
- Cubs trade for Dan Haren 12
- 2015 MLB Trade Deadline Tracker 6
- Cardinals add more bullpen help, get Jonathan Broxton from Brewers 8
- Orioles trade for Brewers outfielder Gerardo Parra 19
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 44
- Giants to acquire Mike Leake from Reds 33
- Astros acquire Carlos Gomez and Mike Fiers from Brewers 45
- The MLBPA is considering withholding cooperation with ESPN, Fox over Colin Cowherd’s comments (157)
- The Cubs are in discussions with the Phillies on Cole Hamels (146)
- Major League Baseball rips Colin Cowherd in an official statement (123)
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers (111)
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies (106)