Jul 10, 2011, 8:22 PM EDT
After 17 seasons in the big leagues — yes, 17 seasons — Juan Castro announced his retirement Sunday and took a job as a special assistant in the Dodgers front office.
Now, granted, Castro spent a lot of those 17 seasons playing in the minors, too. He had one at-bat in 1999, three in 2010, four in 1995 and 14 this year. But for 17 straight seasons, Castro got a chance to put on a major league uniform at least once.
And, oddly enough, Castro played for just five teams. He opened and finished his career with the Dodgers, spending parts of eight seasons with the team. He also served two stints and played eight seasons with the Reds.
His best season came with Cincinnati in 2003, when he hit .253/.290/.388 with a career-high nine homers in 320 at-bats. It was his only season over 300 at-bats.
He ends his career with a .229/.268/.327 line, 36 homers and 234 RBI in 2,627 at-bats. That .595 OPS is the worst of any player to have at least 2,000 plate appearances since 1990:
1. Castro – .595
2. Matt Walbeck – .596
3. Rey Ordonez – .600
4. John McDonald – .601
5. Jose Lind – .604
6. Tony Pena Sr. – 607
7. Alvaro Espinoza – .608
8. Mike Benjamin – .617
9. Felix Fermin – .617
10. Cesar Izturis – .618
So, no, Castro wasn’t a very good hitter. He was also far from a speedster, stealing just five bases in 14 lifetime attempts. Still, 17 years is awfully impressive, and it sounds like he has a nice career ahead of him in coaching or in the front office, depending on which route he wants to go.
- Brian Matusz was ejected for having a foreign substance on his arm 8
- Josh Hamilton will join the Rangers on Monday 4
- UPDATE: David Wright diagnosed with spinal stenosis 14
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 39
- Video: Mike Trout makes a ridiculous slide to beat the tag at third base 14
- Cuba’s best pitching prospect is on his way to America 21
- Will Smith suspended for eight games for the foreign substance on his arm 62
- Will Smith’s ejection once again shows baseball’s silly approach to foreign substance rules 49
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (133)
- Bryce Harper on Marvin Hudson ejection: “I don’t think 40,000 people came to watch him ump” (131)
- Bryce Harper ejected for second time in a week (122)
- GM Dan Jennings to be named the Marlins new manager. And it’s a terrible idea. (111)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (101)