Jul 10, 2011, 4:27 PM EDT
Phillies left-hander Cole Hamels is on the mound this afternoon against the Braves and won’t be eligible to pitch in Tuesday’s All-Star Game. His replacement: Kevin Correia, of the surprising Pittsburgh Pirates.
Correia, 30, has gone 11-7 with a 4.01 ERA and 1.28 WHIP through 19 starts with the Bucs this season. Those are hardly All-Star numbers — especially when you look beyond the win total — but the rosters on both sides have been ravaged by injuries and it’s only appropriate that a member of Pittsburgh’s overachieving staff gets to go.
Correia was signed to a bargain two-year, $8 million contract this past December.
- Ian Kinsler hopes Rangers go 0-162, calls GM a “sleazeball” (132)
- Albert Pujols was insulted when someone asked him if he can put up Mike Trout numbers (103)
- The politics of “The Cardinal Way” (67)
- Robinson Cano wants the Mariners to bring in Kendrys Morales and Ervin Santana (64)
- Reporter calls Ian Kinsler as self-absorbed as A-Rod (60)