Jul 10, 2011, 4:27 PM EDT
Phillies left-hander Cole Hamels is on the mound this afternoon against the Braves and won’t be eligible to pitch in Tuesday’s All-Star Game. His replacement: Kevin Correia, of the surprising Pittsburgh Pirates.
Correia, 30, has gone 11-7 with a 4.01 ERA and 1.28 WHIP through 19 starts with the Bucs this season. Those are hardly All-Star numbers — especially when you look beyond the win total — but the rosters on both sides have been ravaged by injuries and it’s only appropriate that a member of Pittsburgh’s overachieving staff gets to go.
Correia was signed to a bargain two-year, $8 million contract this past December.
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 37
- Cliff Lee placed on DL with recurrence of flexor pronator strain 27
- Winners and losers at the trade deadline 42
- 2014 Trade Deadline Tracker 49
- ACES GALORE: The Rays trade David Price to the Tigers 137
- Red Sox trade John Lackey to Cardinals for Allen Craig and Joe Kelly 91
- The Lester trade is a win-win 113
- Jon Lester, Jonny Gomes heading to Oakland for Yoenis Cespedes 165
- “Caucasians” t-shirts are hot sellers on Canadian Indian reservations (200)
- Jon Lester, Jonny Gomes heading to Oakland for Yoenis Cespedes (165)
- ACES GALORE: The Rays trade David Price to the Tigers (137)
- Rangers’ retirement gifts for Derek Jeter: Yankees cowboy boots, signed George W. Bush photo (126)
- Tampa Bay news station tweets classless Detroit joke following David Price trade (126)