Jul 10, 2011, 5:21 PM EST
Hamels gave up just one run and three hits in improving to 11-4 this season. He has a 2.32 ERA and a 0.93 WHIP, but he was officially scratched from the All-Star Game roster because he pitched today.
Derek Lowe surrendered four runs over six innings for Atlanta. The Phillies did most of their damage against the underbelly of the Braves bullpen, roughing up Cory Gearrin and Scott Proctor for 10 runs in two innings.
Raul Ibanez hit a three-run homer and drove in six runs for Philadelphia. John Mayberry Jr. doubled three times and knocked in four runs. Even Rule 5 pick Michael Martinez had four hits, raising his average from .192 to .229.
The Phillies won two out of three in the series to open up a 3 1/2-game lead on the Braves in the NL East. The Braves, though, are five games ahead in the wild card as play shuts down for the next three days.
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 8
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 267
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 16
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 85
- Yankees don’t plan on having to pay A-Rod’s $30 million in home run milestone bonuses 49
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks 131
- Rob Manfred says a return to a 154-game season could happen one day 66
- Report: The Yankees were “fuming” at how A-Rod handled his early arrival to spring training 114
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (270)
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks (131)
- Report: The Yankees were “fuming” at how A-Rod handled his early arrival to spring training (114)
- Cuban prospect Yoan Moncada reportedly signs with the Red Sox for $31.5 million, plus $31.5 million in penalties (106)
- Gregg Zaun says young players should be physically abused and hazed by veterans. So they can learn respect. (105)