X-rays negative on Reynolds, Guerrero; Showalter wants Lackey punished

Jul 10, 2011, 7:45 PM EDT

Vladimir Guerrero AP

Fortunately, there will be no lasting damage to the Orioles after two more HBPs from the Red Sox on Sunday.

Initial X-rays on the hands of Mark Reynolds and Vladimir Guerrero were negative after both were hit by Boston right-hander Kyle Weiland in Boston’s 8-6 win over the Orioles on Sunday.

“So far, so good,” manager Buck Showalter told MLB.com. “We will keep an ear out the next couple days and see if they progressively get better to tell you that nothing else is going on there. … We may have dodged a bullet. But for Vlady to come out of a ballgame, he’s pretty sore.”

It sounds like both Reynolds and Vlad should be ready to play when the second half starts on Thursday.  Showalter, though, isn’t completely content with the way things ended up Sunday.  He didn’t feel that either of Weiland’s HBPs today were intentional, but he did think that John Lackey drilled Derrek Lee on purpose Saturday.

“I know the umpires are trying, I just wish they would have issued the warnings before the game started,” Showalter said, “because Lackey should have been thrown out of the game for hitting Lee. That was intentional as it gets. [It will] be interesting to see if they hand down any punishment for Lackey.”

1. deathmonkey41 - Jul 10, 2011 at 9:08 PM

Please Bud Selig won’t punish the Red Sox and if they hand down a suspension, the players will appeal and they will reduce whatever they hand out. Same with Big PopUp.

2. drmonkeyarmy - Jul 10, 2011 at 9:34 PM

I don’t like John Lackey…never have. People mistake him being agitated for intensity. I couldn’t believe when the Red Sox signed him to that contract. He had one really good year and a bunch of ok years playing in the cavernous ballparks of the AL West.

3. Glenn - Jul 10, 2011 at 10:27 PM

Did Buck conveniently forget that his team started it all with Gregg throwing at Papi because his team was stinking it up again? And did he forget that the only one who threw intentionally at someone today was his man, Gonzalez, throwing behind Papi. The only thing worse than a whiner is a hypocrite whiner.

• ILoveBaseball - Jul 10, 2011 at 10:33 PM

How about whiner, hypocrite and loser?

• obpedmypants - Jul 10, 2011 at 10:34 PM

Gregg has one of the worst walk rates in baseball. When he throws near a player, all odds are with it being an accident. Papi blowing his lid over being an entitled twat who thinks he owns the inside half of the plate is was “started it all.”

• ILoveBaseball - Jul 10, 2011 at 10:38 PM

No, what started it was Gregg walking toward and yelled at Ortiz while he was jogging up the first base line. That’s why Gregg was thrown out before the eruption began.

• drmonkeyarmy - Jul 10, 2011 at 10:54 PM

I don’t know. I think Ortiz started the altercation by stepping out of the batters box toward Gregg. If he doesn’t do that, then Gregg doesn’t holler at him and the mound charging doesn’t ensue.

• lessick - Jul 10, 2011 at 11:32 PM

According to the Orioles beat writer on Twitter yesterday, what prompted it was former Oriole Matt Albers smack talk after striking out some of his former teammates. That does implicate Gregg, despite his walk rate, as throwing at Ortiz.

• randomdigits - Jul 11, 2011 at 9:49 AM

If Gregg was throwing at Papi and not just throwing inside, then why was the fourth pitch of the at bat a fastball down the middle?

Papi was leaning out over the plate and Gregg was trying to back him off it. Papi wasn’t moving so Gregg was coming further inside to dislodge him. Once it got to three balls Gregg grooved Ortiz a fastball that Ortiz popped up.

• zsachse - Jul 11, 2011 at 1:00 PM

I don’t think you really know what you are talking about. Gregg threw inside and tried to back Ortiz off the plate, then Ortiz charged the mound. The problem I have with your comment is that it just assumes that the Orioles try and hit anyone who hits a homer, but that wrong they have barely hit anyone. The Red Sox on the other hand have hit by far the most batters in the MLB so your stinking it up again theory doesn’t really work. If Ortiz hadn’t charged the mound and cleared the benches then I doubt Gregg would have been frustrated enough to try and aggravate him. Lackey was the only person who had an intentional HBP this series (Gonzalez clearly threw behind Ortiz to try and send a message). I get it you guys sweep us great, stop whining and get over a couple snide comments during the preseason. The only thing worse than a whiner is one that has no idea what he is crying about.

4. nepatriots128154 - Jul 10, 2011 at 10:53 PM

I guess Gregg and Gonzalez should be suspended too…

Showalter is an idiot, Gregg started the whole thing by throwing at Ortiz. Just bitter he got swept 4 straight.

• drmonkeyarmy - Jul 10, 2011 at 10:56 PM

I’m not so sure he was throwing at him. I think Gregg was just trying to pitch him inside. He isn’t renowned for impeccable control. Gonzalez was clearly throwing at him though.

• Glenn - Jul 10, 2011 at 11:01 PM

If he had any control at all, he would have hit Papi on the first pitch, as he intended.

• drmonkeyarmy - Jul 10, 2011 at 11:06 PM

That is your perspective and is cool. I am a neutral on this…not a fan fan of either team or any American League team really. I don’t think Gregg was trying to hit him at all. It looked to me like he was trying to pitch him inside and Ortiz got bent out of shape.

• nepatriots128154 - Jul 10, 2011 at 11:43 PM

If Gregg was just trying to pitch inside, thats fine (although he wasn’t).

He did escalate things by telling Papi to run down to first though. Either way, if Lackey is suspended than Gonzalez should be too.

• randomdigits - Jul 11, 2011 at 9:51 AM

Papi should have been ejected after ball three for leaving the batters box and taking a step toward the mound.

5. macjacmccoy - Jul 10, 2011 at 11:31 PM

There’s nothing worse then complaining after a loss and basically begging for a player to be punished. He needs to just suck it up, keep quiet and get after em the next time their teams meet.

6. jjschiller - Jul 10, 2011 at 11:52 PM

How many Sox actually got hit by pitches?

How many Sox charged the mound?

How many O’s got hit by pitches?

How many O’s charged the mound?

I will just say the birds appear to be real pros.

• nepatriots128154 - Jul 11, 2011 at 12:12 AM

Just because Gregg and Gonzalez have no aim doesn’t mean they weren’t throwing at anyone.

• jjschiller - Jul 11, 2011 at 1:01 AM

Gregg, perhaps. But Gonzalez, no. A pitch behind a batter is a “message.” The intention is to tell your team that I’ve had enough, without actually risking YOUR health or livelihood, since you yourself are not a pitcher.

• nepatriots128154 - Jul 11, 2011 at 2:23 AM

He pitched right at him, just behind. It wasn’t even close to a “message,” the intention was obvious. Just because the Orioles suck and their pitches have no aim doesn’t mean there wasn’t any intention. Again, Showalter and the few fans the Orioles have are just bitter about being swept.

• randomdigits - Jul 11, 2011 at 9:54 AM

Odd Francona himself said the pitch was THREE FEET behind Ortiz. I am pretty sure that is a message pitch.

BTW the Red Sox lead baseball in pitchers HBP and the O’s have hit the fewest batters (before yesterdays game).

7. derpdederpdederp - Jul 11, 2011 at 12:12 AM

Buck needs to learn when to keep his mouth shut. before the year even started he talked about how much he liked beating the Red Sox and their huge payroll. now that his team has proved theres no way thats going to happen you think he would be humbled. but no, he has to whine and complain about Lackey getting involved in something his own soon-to-be minor league pitcher started because he was frustrated playing for a pathetic loser (Buck or the Orioles, you choose)

• jjschiller - Jul 11, 2011 at 1:14 AM

derp, de derp, de derp, de derp…

8. boxchain - Jul 11, 2011 at 1:53 AM

The problems with the umpiring started when Papi charged the mound and wasn’t immediately ejected. How is that allowed?

Lackey should have gotten a warning on the first plunk, and an ejection on the second. Gregg, Gonzalez and Weiland earned their ejections.

• nepatriots128154 - Jul 11, 2011 at 2:25 AM

He was ejected right after he charged…

Weiland obviously wasn’t throwing at anyone in his first start, just like the Orioles pitcher before him (not Gregg or Gonzalez, some other guy hit Youk with a changeup and the dumb umps thought he was throwing at him… with a changeup)

• mornelithe - Jul 11, 2011 at 10:23 AM

@ NEPatriots: It was Guthrie, and yeah, that pitch didn’t look intentional at all (seriously). Weiland was likely not going to be trying to bean players in his first major game as a Red Sox either. Gonzalez on the other hand, made a very very poor choice.

• boxchain - Jul 11, 2011 at 12:09 PM

Ortiz charged twice, he should have been ejected the first time.

You’re saying that Weiland and Lackey both hitting two batters is just dandy, but Gregg throwing inside to a guy who likes to swing at inside pitches isn’t?

• mornelithe - Jul 11, 2011 at 12:14 PM

@ BoxChain: Actually, if you follow my remarks from the beginning on PBT, you’ll not that I in no way condone beaning players, no matter what. Accidents do happen, yes, but I largely look down upon players being hit by pitches. Don’t care what team you’re on, or how bad your day was.

I also didn’t say anything about Lackey, nor did anyone in followup responses to your original statement. Unfortunately, I didn’t get a chance to watch the Lackey game, so I really couldn’t tell ya.

• boxchain - Jul 11, 2011 at 12:34 PM

@mornelithe I was actually replying to @NEP, sorry for the confusion

Also, to be clear, I don’t condone Gregg jawing at Ortiz after getting warned, nor Gonzalez throwing behind him. I actually can’t wait for these 2 D-bags to get off of my team.

And in a series where the Red Sox made a huge deal out of pitching inside, to go hit 4 Orioles and act like it doesn’t factor into the equation, whether or not it was intentional, sounds like someone has a case of the ‘it’s only OK if I do it’ mentality.

• mornelithe - Jul 11, 2011 at 1:12 PM

@ BoxChain: No problem, man, wasn’t sure if you were talking to me or not, felt I should clarify.

It’s really hard to try to make sense of the whole situation, especially with how Ortiz over-reacted/Gregg egged him on. Because, it makes the rest of the series look suspect. You know? I don’t condone, nor will I justify Ortiz’s response to the situation. But, at the same time, it’s really hard to determine accident from intent, with it being clouded by the brawl.

In a less chaotic atmosphere, I would venture to say that both beans by Weiland were accidental, though, again, I’m not him and I have no idea what signs/calls he was issued. I didn’t see Lackey’s pitch, so I can’t say either way. It ‘looked’ on the surface, that Gregg was trying to hit him, but, again, I can’t say for certain for the same reasons as I can’t say for certain Weiland’s were. Gonzalez made a very stupid decision, plain and simple. He was either intending on hitting Ortiz, or just to be outright ejected.

Maybe it’d simply be better if there was a no-tolerance rule at all for beaning players. One and done. Yeah, accidents can happen, but things can also get really out of control, quickly.

9. fongo51 - Jul 11, 2011 at 5:33 AM

Having Lackey pitch is punishment enough for the Red Sox

10. skinsman1 - Jul 11, 2011 at 7:16 AM

Weiland did not earn an ejection. The kid was nervous in his 1st big league start and his control was clearly not there. Showalter is a baby who can’t seem to handle he has a weak team. Suck it up, Buck.

11. deathmonkey41 - Jul 11, 2011 at 8:07 AM

Bud Selig has insisted that he is going to get to the bottom of this. And just to prove that he is taking this as serious as he took the steroid scandal, he is assigning Sam Kennedy, Executive Vice President/Chief Operating Officer of the Boston Red Sox, to head the investigation.

12. mgp1219 - Jul 11, 2011 at 1:01 PM

Why is it that when a resox pitcher throws at a batter, the redsox fans say it’s just a part of the game? The pitcher has the right to throw inside, they say; however, when one of their players is brushed of the plate by inside pitches, then it’s a travesty, it’s dirty baseball, it’s dangerous, it doesn’t belong in the game.

give me a break redox fans, you can’t have it both ways. remember pedro martinez? he was notorious for throwing at batters. how about beckett? hit a home run off of him and watch out next time you face him. yup, it’s ok when your pitchers do it.

• mornelithe - Jul 11, 2011 at 1:15 PM

@ MGP: Please don’t lump all Red Sox fans together in this, I’m firmly against beaning players. And have said so many, many times. The only way to stop it, imo, is to make a no-tolerance policy. One and done. Regardless of whether it was accidental or not.

Colby-on-Colby crime in Toronto