Jul 11, 2011, 3:52 PM EDT
Carlos Beltran hasn’t been shy about answering trade questions as he perhaps enters his final weeks with the Mets. After indicating last week that he’d be open to a trade to San Francisco, he came out Monday and said Boston is on his list as well.
“They’re in first place,” he said. “That’s a no-brainer.”
The Red Sox have stuck with the struggling J.D. Drew in right field, even though he’s driven in just 21 runs in 73 games. They might be open to making a change if the right opportunity comes along. Still, there’s nothing to suggest they’ve engaged the Mets in talks regardling Beltran. Not only would the $6 million left on his deal be an obstacle, but such an acquisition could also have luxury-tax ramifications for a Boston team that’s been straddling the line.
Beltran, because he’s spent 10 years in the league and the last five with the same team, has full no-trade protection.
- Giancarlo Stanton sends the Marlins to victory with a walk-off grand slam 3
- Jason Bartlett will retire after 10 years in the big leagues 3
- Pirates acquire Ike Davis in a trade with the Mets 36
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 49
- VIDEO: The Yankees turned a triple play against the Rays 24
- Hank Aaron is getting vile racist hate mail in retaliation for pointing out that racism still exists (244)
- “They Don’t Know Henry” (167)
- Doug Glanville’s story about being racially profiled at his own home (125)
- There is still a racial divide in baseball (112)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (96)