Jul 11, 2011, 12:20 PM EDT
The Mariners were just 2 1/2 games out of first place as recently as last Tuesday, but have dropped five straight to fall 7 1/2 back in the American League West. It’s probably safe to call them sellers at this point, but their most valuable trade chip isn’t ready to get back on the mound.
Erik Bedard was placed on the disabled list with a sprained left knee at the end of June. It appeared to be a minor injury at the time, especially considering his past arm issues, but Mariners manager Eric Wedge told Larry LaRue of the Tacoma News Tribune yesterday that the left-hander will need to miss at least one more start following the All-Star break.
“We’ll get him throwing on flat ground a few more times, give him a couple of bullpens and he’ll be ready,” Wedge said. “Blake (Beavan) will get that next start in Erik’s spot.”
This means that Bedard will have a maximum of two starts before the trade deadline to prove he’s healthy. And that’s assuming he’ll be ready to start during a series against the Red Sox from July 22-24. Yes, the Mariners could still deal him in August, but it’s a bit more complicated and they’d be less likely to get something significant in return.
Bedard didn’t throw a pitch in the majors in 2010, but has a 3.00 ERA and 1.11 WHIP across 15 starts this season. He has an excellent 85/26 K/BB ratio over 90 innings of work.
- Cardinals acquire Justin Masterson from Indians 48
- There’s a “very good chance” the Red Sox trade Lackey and Lester 51
- Hey, Rube: Phillies pay dearly for Amaro’s misguided loyalty 85
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 57
- Dodgers announce Vin Scully will return for 2015 season 52
- Jon Lester scratched Wednesday amid trade speculation 38
- Rays are “talking and willing” to trade ace lefty David Price; Cardinals and Dodgers interested 41
- Phillies wanted Joc Pederson, Corey Seager, and Julio Urias from Dodgers for Cole Hamels 96
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams (201)
- “Caucasians” t-shirts are hot sellers on Canadian Indian reservations (199)
- Must-click link: sexual depravity — and possibly rape — in the minor leagues (105)
- The Nationals and Orioles dispute over TV money is about to explode (104)
- Phillies wanted Joc Pederson, Corey Seager, and Julio Urias from Dodgers for Cole Hamels (96)