Jul 11, 2011, 8:25 AM EDT
Also, this was easily the most heavily-trafficked weekend in HBT history. And it happened without anyone taking up my suggestion to randomly place vintage erotica in various posts. So I guess that idea is off the table going forward. Thanks a lot of ruining that, everyone.
There was more Derek Jeter stuff on the blog this week than there would be if Derek Jeter took the whole thing over personally and made his publicist Editor-in-Chief. For example:
- He got his 3,000th hit. On a home run. Which makes all of those jokes I made last week about his 3,000th being a scorer’s error look pretty bad. Oh please. Like you would have bet $3 that he’d do it on a homer.
- One could argue that the fan who caught that homer threw money away. We’ll have more on this later this morning.
- Oh, and a 5 for 5 day? Showoff.
- Breaking down those 3,000 hits.
- Where will Jeter finish on the all-time list?
- Who’s the next one to 3,000?
- Is Derek Jeter a top-5 Yankee?
- What everyone is saying about Derek Jeter’s 3,000th hit.
- And look who is making all kinds of money off of Jeter’s 3,000th.
There was also a bit of non-Jeter news if you can believe that. Such as:
- There were approximately 342 substitutions and replacements on All-Star rosters. Here are, as best as we can tell, all of the latest additions and subtractions.
- The Dodgers fired Steve Garvey. No word on if they’re going to try to replace him with Greg Brock.
- I really hope Josh Hamilton has some people he can talk to about stuff. Although, maybe he’s working through this stuff just fine.
- Kevin Gregg: idiot?
- Sure, Carlos Beltran would consider joining the Giants if they called.
- Cole Hamels got what on his what? And how?
- Joe Maddon was totally messin’ with Yankees fans, and I think it’s kinda funny.
- Chipper Jones had knee surgery.
- Alex Rodriguez did too. Or at least will really soon.
- You know it’s busy when a ballplayer calls another one gay and it doesn’t become the biggest story of the weekend.
- Pedro Alvarez was sent down to AAA. Bright side: I get to see him play here in Columbus next Saturday evening when I take the kids to the Clippers-Indianapolis game!
- If I want to see Zach Britton, however, I’m going to have to go to a Double-A game.
- Jim Riggleman is going to interview with a job with the Giants. Make sure his replacement is ready, Sabean, because you never know with this guy.
- Ryan Dempster and Mike Quade have harsh words for one another.
- Francisco Rodriguez hires Boras.
- Thanks to Frank McCourt we know what happens when they have a Dodgers game and no one shows up, but what if people showed up for a Dodgers game and there was no game?
- A young athlete is immature? Shocking; and finally:
- Some young athletes show, in the Futures game, that it’s really their game that counts.
Wow. That was a lot. I need a break? How about you?
- Bryce Harper pulled from Saturday’s game for not hustling 27
- Report: MLB likely to adjust rules for plays at home and transfer catches 14
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 17
- Giancarlo Stanton sends the Marlins to victory with a walk-off grand slam 22
- Jason Bartlett will retire after 10 years in the big leagues 11
- Hank Aaron is getting vile racist hate mail in retaliation for pointing out that racism still exists (248)
- “They Don’t Know Henry” (167)
- Doug Glanville’s story about being racially profiled at his own home (125)
- There is still a racial divide in baseball (112)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (96)