Indians TV ratings surge, Rays ratings plunge and lots of people watch Yankees games

Jul 11, 2011, 1:50 PM EDT

old TV

Sports Business Journal has an analysis of this year’s TV rantings out. The Cardinals are on top in terms of ratings, the Yankees — not surprisingly — lead in total viewers. The Indians have had the biggest rating increase, with an 80 percent jump over viewership last year. The Rays have seen the biggest drop, with a 37 percent falloff.

I get what’s animating the Cardinals, Yankees and Indians’ numbers, but I’m not sure how one can explain the Rays’ drop.  They had healthy TV ratings before so I guess they had more room to drop, but I’m not sure what would inspire the drop. They’re still playing good baseball. Lots of exciting young talent. Were people really just tuning in to look at Carl Crawford‘s neck tattoo?

And because you were curious, I’m sure, both the Mets and the Dodgers have suffered precipitous declines in local television rankings. The Mets’ local ratings are down 29 percent from midseason last year; the Dodgers’ ratings are down 27 percent. The Dodgers’ drop makes more sense. The Mets have been pretty solid on the field, so maybe the bad feelings from the business side of thing just linger. I have no idea.

Overall, 16 teams’ ratings have dropped, 13 have increased and one has remained flat. Not sure which one that is, because SBJ doesn’t produce the whole list. I’m going to guess that it was the Seattle Pilots, whose rating have stayed more or less the same since 1969. Remarkable consistency there.

1. Detroit Michael - Jul 11, 2011 at 2:28 PM

Not sure if that’s a pun or an misspelling in the post’s first sentence.

Rays’ fans were pretty discouraged by the talent exodus this winter. They apparently have not yet been convinced by Jonah Keri’s book or the results on the field (which although good still leave them not in the post-season if the season were to end today).

• Jonny 5 - Jul 11, 2011 at 2:35 PM

If they went to the games they might have room to complain. Otherwise they’re lucky to have a team and should be thankful the Rays haven’t moved away yet.

• Jonny 5 - Jul 11, 2011 at 2:48 PM

The Va Beach Rays…. It has a nice ring to it.

2. henryd3rd - Jul 11, 2011 at 2:40 PM

Who’s idea was it put a picture of a TV with rabbit ears antennae? This is the 21st Century dude and even if one wanted to use that type of a TV it would no longer work in the US. Can you spell cable box?.

• hittfamily - Jul 11, 2011 at 4:24 PM

It would work just fine. It looks a lot like the one in my garage. A 30 dollar digital converter from walmart and that tv is ready to go. ABC NBC PBS FOX PBS and multiple JESUS channels. I pay 90 a month in my home for espn, sun sports (I do watch the rays every night) and news channels. Everything I watch but those are free in my garage.

I feel freakin ripped.

• hittfamily - Jul 11, 2011 at 4:46 PM

PBS=CBS

3. Old Gator - Jul 11, 2011 at 2:42 PM

Sports Business Journal also concluded that many people are afraid to post on HBT for fear that they’ll commit a typo or make a spelling error that will make them look like illiterate crackers and TPN viewers – the kind so dumb and illiterate that they’ll actually leave opinions on the TPN home pages on Facebook.
    The Journal suggests that HBT provide its commentators with an

• jimbo1949 - Jul 11, 2011 at 2:48 PM

Edit Function Edit Function Edit Function Edit Function Edit Function
      Edit Function Edit Function Edit Function Edit Function Edit Function
      Edit Function Edit Function Edit Function Edit Function Edit Function
      Edit Function Edit Function Edit Function Edit Function Edit Function
      Edit Function Edit Function Edit Function Edit Function Edit Function
      Edit Function Edit Function Edit Function Edit Function Edit Function
      Edit Function Edit Function Edit Function Edit Function Edit Function
      Edit Function Edit Function Edit Function Edit Function Edit Function

• Old Gator - Jul 11, 2011 at 2:51 PM

Just testing you all. I’m an old man and can’t do all the heavy lifting. I can barely curl 60 pounds anymore. Thanks for passing the first test – but like the good book says, there are bigger deals to come. Now, time to finish the post as I intended below:

4. Old Gator - Jul 11, 2011 at 2:43 PM

The Journal suggests that HBT provide its angst-ridden commentator-wannabes with an EDIT FUNCTION to assuage their anxieties, thereby increasing participation and driving up advertising revenue.

• vivabear - Jul 12, 2011 at 5:01 PM

” look like illiterate crackers “…..soooooo, are you using cracker as a derogatory/racist label?

5. kingbuccaneer - Jul 11, 2011 at 3:05 PM

Seriously, if every other small market team just let Carl Crawford, Carlos Pena, and the ENTIRE bullpen walk right out of the door to their division rivals, how would THEIR ratings and attendance do??

What did you expect Mr. Sternberg?

• Jonny 5 - Jul 11, 2011 at 3:39 PM

People to show up for THE PLAYOFFS!!!!

• hittfamily - Jul 11, 2011 at 4:31 PM

I watch every game on TV. I live 3 hours from Tampa, so attending the games are out of the question. The games are boring, and this is coming from a true fan. We have Desmond Jennings just sitting in the minors, while we continue to get .230 production out of left field (Fuld, Ruggs). We have no power, we dont steal bases, not hit and runs. We play good D and have great pitching. It is great fundamental baseball, but boring as hell to watch.

I want to see the future now, considering we arent getting anything out of the ” futures ” placeholders. Sean Rodriguez should be our everyday shortsyop and Dsmond Jennings should be our everyday left fielder.

Sternberg, you have a made a great club seem boring as hell. 2-1 games with 10 combined hits are great to me, but not to the casual fan.

Can Angels recoup loss of Richards?
  1. R. Castillo (5064)