Jul 11, 2011, 1:50 PM EDT
Sports Business Journal has an analysis of this year’s TV rantings out. The Cardinals are on top in terms of ratings, the Yankees — not surprisingly — lead in total viewers. The Indians have had the biggest rating increase, with an 80 percent jump over viewership last year. The Rays have seen the biggest drop, with a 37 percent falloff.
I get what’s animating the Cardinals, Yankees and Indians’ numbers, but I’m not sure how one can explain the Rays’ drop. They had healthy TV ratings before so I guess they had more room to drop, but I’m not sure what would inspire the drop. They’re still playing good baseball. Lots of exciting young talent. Were people really just tuning in to look at Carl Crawford‘s neck tattoo?
And because you were curious, I’m sure, both the Mets and the Dodgers have suffered precipitous declines in local television rankings. The Mets’ local ratings are down 29 percent from midseason last year; the Dodgers’ ratings are down 27 percent. The Dodgers’ drop makes more sense. The Mets have been pretty solid on the field, so maybe the bad feelings from the business side of thing just linger. I have no idea.
Overall, 16 teams’ ratings have dropped, 13 have increased and one has remained flat. Not sure which one that is, because SBJ doesn’t produce the whole list. I’m going to guess that it was the Seattle Pilots, whose rating have stayed more or less the same since 1969. Remarkable consistency there.
- “Final Vote” balloting opens for 2015 MLB All-Star Game 18
- Pitchers and reserves for 2015 MLB All-Star Game announced 49
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 50
- AL and NL Starters for the 2015 All-Star Game announced 103
- That time Manny Ramirez nearly became a Met 10
- Phillies acquire No. 1 international signing slot for 2015-2016 from the Diamondbacks 20
- Orioles activate Jonathan Schoop after 10-week absence 9
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 40
- AL and NL Starters for the 2015 All-Star Game announced (103)
- Mike Scioscia says Josh Hamilton should apologize to Angels owner Arte Moreno (90)
- What Yasiel Puig being a pain in the butt means. And what it doesn’t mean. (78)
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM (77)
- Brian Dozier is the best second baseman in baseball (72)