Jul 11, 2011, 7:10 PM EDT
During a media session today for the American League All-Stars, Jon Lester told Rob Bradford of WEEI.com that he hopes to begin throwing when he rejoins the Red Sox on Thursday in St. Petersburg, Florida.
Lester was placed on the disabled list after leaving a start last Tuesday with a strained left lat muscle, but the southpaw said today that he hasn’t felt the injury over the past two days.
“It went from the day where I did anything it hurt, to where things got better, to the past two days I haven’t felt it. Now we have to make sure when I throw it doesn’t hurt. If it hurts when I throw we”re not getting anywhere. As long as it doesn’t hurt when I start throwing it should progress pretty quickly.”
As of now, Lester doesn’t think he will need a minor league rehab assignment, but it appears unlikely that he’ll be ready to return when he’s eligible next Friday.
Lester is 10-4 with a 3.31 ERA across 18 starts this season. He has a 110/40 K/BB ratio over 114 1/3 innings.
- The Cubs assign Kris Bryant and Addison Russell to the minors, option Javier Baez as well 60
- 2015 Preview: Arizona Diamondbacks 6
- 2015 Preview: Toronto Blue Jays 67
- Mariners prospect Victor Sanchez has died 24
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 15
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? 88
- 2015 Preview: Atlanta Braves 15
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” 118
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (122)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (118)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (89)
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? (88)
- The MLBPA releases a statement on Kris Bryant, mentions possible litigation (85)