Jul 11, 2011, 7:10 PM EDT
During a media session today for the American League All-Stars, Jon Lester told Rob Bradford of WEEI.com that he hopes to begin throwing when he rejoins the Red Sox on Thursday in St. Petersburg, Florida.
Lester was placed on the disabled list after leaving a start last Tuesday with a strained left lat muscle, but the southpaw said today that he hasn’t felt the injury over the past two days.
“It went from the day where I did anything it hurt, to where things got better, to the past two days I haven’t felt it. Now we have to make sure when I throw it doesn’t hurt. If it hurts when I throw we”re not getting anywhere. As long as it doesn’t hurt when I start throwing it should progress pretty quickly.”
As of now, Lester doesn’t think he will need a minor league rehab assignment, but it appears unlikely that he’ll be ready to return when he’s eligible next Friday.
Lester is 10-4 with a 3.31 ERA across 18 starts this season. He has a 110/40 K/BB ratio over 114 1/3 innings.
- Report: Angels, Rangers agree on Josh Hamilton trade 42
- Must-Click Link: Alex Rodriguzez: the slugger with a thousand faces 14
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 114
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected 155
- Bartolo Colon picks off a baserunner. By running him down all by himself. 54
- Pete Rose will be allowed to participate in All-Star Game festivities 69
- Career over? Joe Nathan needs Tommy John surgery 31
- Contact and controversy in the ninth inning of last night’s Dodgers-Giants game 54
- The early leaders in MLB’s “Franchise Four” thing have been announced (166)
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected (155)
- Kelvin Herrera gets a five-game suspension; Yordano Ventura fined (133)
- Jose Bautista and the Orioles exchanged some words last night (117)
- Joe Buck has a truly awful suggestion about how to improve MLB broadcasts (115)