Jose Contreras to see Dr. Lewis Yocum for second opinion on forearm

Jul 11, 2011, 11:20 AM EST

Chicago Cubs v Philadelphia Phillies Getty Images

The Phillies were hoping Jose Contreras would be able to begin a throwing program after the All-Star break, but he’s now scheduled to see Dr. Lewis Yocum this week for a second opinion on his right forearm.

Contreras, who opened the year as closer, has been limited to just 17 appearances this season due to elbow and forearm injuries. He was placed on the disabled list on June 20 with a strained right forearm.

According to John R. Finger of CSNPhilly.com, Phillies assistant general manager Scott Proefrock said yesterday that the veteran right-hander has had “intermittent symptoms” of the injury reappear, which has raised questions about whether he is hurt more than initially diagnosed.

While Contreras’ season could very well be in jeopardy, the other injured members of the Phillies’ bullpen are making some progress. Brad Lidge made his third minor league rehab appearance Saturday while Ryan Madson is scheduled to begin a rehab assignment Wednesday and could rejoin the Phillies for the second half opener Friday against the Mets.

1. deathmonkey41 - Jul 11, 2011 at 11:59 AM

I think Jose remembers what Cuba was like BEFORE Castro took over.

2. seanmk - Jul 11, 2011 at 12:36 PM

abundantly clear the phillies will need another bullpen arm at the deadline now. and at the rate the braves are pitching their bullpen they will too

• drmonkeyarmy - Jul 11, 2011 at 12:53 PM

I don’t think so, to be honest….at least not at the cost of top end prospects. A returning Madson and even Lidge will help. They could also call up Schwimmer from the Iron Pigs. I mean if we are talking about turning Matt Rizotti into a reliable arm that is fine, but if we are talking about dealing Cosart, Biddle, Valle, Singleton, May, etc….then no.

• seanmk - Jul 11, 2011 at 1:32 PM

i expect 0 out of lidge so anything he gives you is a “blessing” because he could be absolutely terrible. Justin De Fratus is on the 40 man and i don’t really think schwimer gets tot he bigs because he has 50 innings already on him and isn’t on the 40 man. I could be wrong about that sure but one thing i do know Matt Rizzotti doesn’t have much in the way of trade value. he’s a big DH, and just about every org has those

• drmonkeyarmy - Jul 11, 2011 at 1:43 PM

That is what I am saying…I don’t think you can get a major league ready arm for him while I know you could for the others. But, in my opinion, I’d rather have those prospects than a bullpen arm.

• deathmonkey41 - Jul 11, 2011 at 1:44 PM

Phillies need to go out and get K-Rod. If you look at their bullpen from top to bottom, they just don’t have anyone that pounds their chest and points to the sky and that’s a key to any championship team…plus, I don’t want the Yankees to do something stupid and pick him up.

• drmonkeyarmy - Jul 11, 2011 at 1:46 PM

That’s true. Every since they got rid of Romero, they are short on their excessive celebration quota.

3. addictedzone - Jul 11, 2011 at 2:30 PM

Contreras may be too old for even Dr Galea to be of much help at this point

• deathmonkey41 - Jul 11, 2011 at 2:44 PM

That depends- in American yrs or Cuban yrs? I believe that guy is 39 like I believe I’m 19.

4. henryd3rd - Jul 11, 2011 at 2:53 PM

Contreras has got to be one of the luckiest guys in baseball. No matter how poor;y he pitches some GM and pitching coach believes they can resurrect his career and make him a serviceable pitcher. Ozzie Guillen was the only manager who could get the most out of him and then he lost faith in him. Time to hang them up Jose

Maddon has high hopes for Cubs
  1. P. Sandoval (5777)