Jul 11, 2011, 11:20 AM EDT
The Phillies were hoping Jose Contreras would be able to begin a throwing program after the All-Star break, but he’s now scheduled to see Dr. Lewis Yocum this week for a second opinion on his right forearm.
Contreras, who opened the year as closer, has been limited to just 17 appearances this season due to elbow and forearm injuries. He was placed on the disabled list on June 20 with a strained right forearm.
According to John R. Finger of CSNPhilly.com, Phillies assistant general manager Scott Proefrock said yesterday that the veteran right-hander has had “intermittent symptoms” of the injury reappear, which has raised questions about whether he is hurt more than initially diagnosed.
While Contreras’ season could very well be in jeopardy, the other injured members of the Phillies’ bullpen are making some progress. Brad Lidge made his third minor league rehab appearance Saturday while Ryan Madson is scheduled to begin a rehab assignment Wednesday and could rejoin the Phillies for the second half opener Friday against the Mets.
- Mariners fire general manager Jack Zduriencik 53
- Pedro Martinez wonders if bad chemistry is the reason the Tigers and Mariners are out of contention 45
- Vote of non-confidence: Reds owner says manager Bryan Price won’t be fired before the season is over 20
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 82
- Denard Span headed back to DL with hip inflammation, unlikely to return this season 10
- Report: Barry Bonds loses collusion case against MLB 40
- Jessica Mendoza to sit in for Curt Schilling on Sunday Night Baseball this week 80
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 78
- Sarah Palin sticks up for Curt Schilling, tells ESPN to “stick to sports” (237)
- Dan Patrick: When does ESPN cut ties with Curt Schilling? (199)
- Curt Schilling taken off of Little League World Series duty for making a really bad tweet (169)
- Curt Schilling taken off of ESPN’s Sunday Night Baseball telecast this week (134)
- Phillies announcer calls Mets fans “obnoxious” (122)