Jul 11, 2011, 3:17 PM EST
We learned over the weekend that Francisco Rodriguez had hired Scott Boras. The first thought: he knows he’s gonna get traded someplace to be a setup man or that the Mets will not use him to close games, thereby meaning that his 2012 option will vest and, as such, he wants the best agent possible for free agency.
Or maybe it’s more about wanting to have a tough agent before that happens. One who will do everything he can to make sure that option vests. Here’s Brian Costa of the Wall Street Journal earlier this afternoon:
Boras confirms K-Rod has hired him. Strongly indicated he will not accept deal to team on no-trade list if it means being setup man.
That doesn’t mean he’s totally untradeable — his no-trade list is reportedly only ten teams long — but that does make it harder. And the harder it is to trade him, the more likely it is that he’s going to stick with the Mets all year. And then they’ll have to figure out how many games he finishes. If he gets to 55, that’s $17.5 million more bucks they’re gonna owe him.
- Report: Red Sox offer Jon Lester six years, $110-120 million 66
- Report: “There is a 90 percent chance that Pablo Sandoval will sign with the Red Sox” 121
- A’s sign Billy Butler to three-year, $30 million contract 83
- Cardinals reportedly joining pursuit of Jon Lester 65
- Giancarlo Stanton’s contract is backloaded. REALLY backloaded. 148
- Braves and Cardinals swap Jason Heyward and Shelby Miller in blockbuster deal 156
- Blue Jays sign Russell Martin to five-year, $82 million deal 135
- Done Deal: Giancarlo Stanton and the Marlins agree on the biggest contract in baseball history 124
- Biggest deal in baseball history: Giancarlo Stanton close to 13-year, $325 million contract with Marlins (182)
- Braves and Cardinals swap Jason Heyward and Shelby Miller in blockbuster deal (156)
- Giancarlo Stanton’s contract is backloaded. REALLY backloaded. (148)
- Blue Jays sign Russell Martin to five-year, $82 million deal (135)
- Done Deal: Giancarlo Stanton and the Marlins agree on the biggest contract in baseball history (124)