Jul 11, 2011, 3:17 PM EST
We learned over the weekend that Francisco Rodriguez had hired Scott Boras. The first thought: he knows he’s gonna get traded someplace to be a setup man or that the Mets will not use him to close games, thereby meaning that his 2012 option will vest and, as such, he wants the best agent possible for free agency.
Or maybe it’s more about wanting to have a tough agent before that happens. One who will do everything he can to make sure that option vests. Here’s Brian Costa of the Wall Street Journal earlier this afternoon:
Boras confirms K-Rod has hired him. Strongly indicated he will not accept deal to team on no-trade list if it means being setup man.
That doesn’t mean he’s totally untradeable — his no-trade list is reportedly only ten teams long — but that does make it harder. And the harder it is to trade him, the more likely it is that he’s going to stick with the Mets all year. And then they’ll have to figure out how many games he finishes. If he gets to 55, that’s $17.5 million more bucks they’re gonna owe him.
- Yasmany Tomas signs a six-year, $68.5 million deal with the Diamondbacks 87
- No, the Red Sox signing Pablo and Hanley is not proof that baseball needs a salary cap 163
- Red Sox announce four-year, $88 million deal with Hanley Ramirez, DFA Juan Francisco 35
- The Cubs have offered Jon Lester “north of $135 million” 68
- Pablo Sandoval’s deal: five years, $98 million plus an option 43
- Kyle Seager, Mariners close to $100 million extension 26
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot 286
- So what would the Red Sox look like with Hanley Ramirez and Pablo Sandoval? 49
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot (286)
- No, the Red Sox signing Pablo and Hanley is not proof that baseball needs a salary cap (163)
- More Hall of Fame ballots like Adam Rubin’s please (140)
- Report: Pablo Sandoval chose the Red Sox over the Giants because he felt disrespected (138)
- UPDATE: The Pablo Sandoval-Red Sox deal is done, pending a physical (133)