Jul 11, 2011, 3:17 PM EDT
We learned over the weekend that Francisco Rodriguez had hired Scott Boras. The first thought: he knows he’s gonna get traded someplace to be a setup man or that the Mets will not use him to close games, thereby meaning that his 2012 option will vest and, as such, he wants the best agent possible for free agency.
Or maybe it’s more about wanting to have a tough agent before that happens. One who will do everything he can to make sure that option vests. Here’s Brian Costa of the Wall Street Journal earlier this afternoon:
Boras confirms K-Rod has hired him. Strongly indicated he will not accept deal to team on no-trade list if it means being setup man.
That doesn’t mean he’s totally untradeable — his no-trade list is reportedly only ten teams long — but that does make it harder. And the harder it is to trade him, the more likely it is that he’s going to stick with the Mets all year. And then they’ll have to figure out how many games he finishes. If he gets to 55, that’s $17.5 million more bucks they’re gonna owe him.
- Jordan Walden lands on disabled list with biceps injury 10
- Rays place outfielder Desmond Jennings on 15-day disabled list with bursitis in his left knee 0
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 31
- Torii Hunter doesn’t care what Floyd Mayweather has done outside of the boxing ring 121
- Yankees GM Brian Cashman acknowledges team won’t pay A-Rod $6 million bonus for 660th home run 69
- Willie Mays congratulates Alex Rodriguez for reaching 660 career home runs 31
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 38
- Ryan Hanigan needs surgery, so the Red Sox will call up prospect Blake Swihart 15
- Pitchers batting is dumb and the DH should be universal (362)
- Comment of the Day: do not underestimate the seriousness of the anti-DH crowd (201)
- Monday’s White Sox/Orioles game postponed due to ongoing protests and violence in Baltimore (162)
- Protesters converge on Oriole Park at Camden Yards (149)
- The Orioles will play to no fans tomorrow; this weekend’s series will move to Tropicana Field (125)