Robinson Cano tops Adrian Gonzalez to win the Home Run Derby

Jul 11, 2011, 11:17 PM EDT

2011 State Farm Home Run Derby Getty Images

Something that lasts entirely too long and the Yankees and Red Sox are involved? This sounds familiar.

Robinson Cano was just crowned the winner of the Home Run Derby, topping Adrian Gonzalez 12-11 in the finals. Of course, Cano owes a big-time assist to his father and former Astros pitcher Jose Cano, who served up all of his 32 home runs for the evening. While this event has many, many faults, the final was actually a pretty cool showcase.

No surprise, the left-handed hitters had the edge in Chase Field tonight. None of the four right-handed batters made it through the first round. Matt Holliday had five homers (and was eliminated in a swing-off), MLB home run leader Jose Bautista slugged four, Rickie Weeks had three and Matt Kemp managed only a pair.

Prince Fielder, who received plenty of boos from the Arizona crowd for not including Justin Upton in the competition, was the only member of the National League squad to make it into the second round. And he needed a swing-off to get there. The American League outpaced the National League 76-19 on the evening. Yikes.

Cano and Gonzalez advanced to the finals by collecting 20 homers over the first two rounds. They beat out David Ortiz and Fielder, who had nine apiece over the first two rounds.

And with that, let’s never speak of this again.

1. bigharold - Jul 11, 2011 at 11:27 PM

Usually I don’t bother but this year it seemed pretty exciting.

Congratulations to both Gonzalez and Cano. nice show.

When does the second half start? Not soon enough!

2. yankeesfanlen - Jul 11, 2011 at 11:28 PM

Doncha Know.

3. szapata03 - Jul 11, 2011 at 11:30 PM

If the Derby is such a bore to you D.J., why don’t you spend your Monday night doing the usual –watching the Bachelorette, beating it like you caught it breaking in. I love all of the pokes at the Derby, when a lot of us fans really enjoy it.

• ditto65 - Jul 12, 2011 at 7:56 AM

I get it, since you don’t agree with D. J., you are more of a man? Boo to you, sir. Boo to you.

4. losburrosinblue - Jul 11, 2011 at 11:48 PM

Eh, it wasn’t great. Kemp looked terrible out there, but Gonzalez and Cano were amazing.

5. yankeesjetsknicksrangers - Jul 11, 2011 at 11:58 PM

His dad looked like a bundle of laughs

• bigharold - Jul 12, 2011 at 12:03 AM

Most guys Dad’s have that look, … mine did. Thank God!

I’d bet money that his old man was more nervous than Robinson was. It’s one thing to achieve, .. it’s something else altogether to stand there and watch one of your own do so!

6. royalsfaninfargo - Jul 12, 2011 at 12:05 AM

Chris Berman has got to be the worst announcer to ever get behind a mic. I think the mute button was specifically invented to shut his blowhard mouth up! Other than that it was a fun time.

• deathmonkey41 - Jul 12, 2011 at 9:12 AM

If he’s not, then it’s got to be a photo-finish with whoever is…

7. qcubed3 - Jul 12, 2011 at 12:16 AM

I was there (for 6 hours! – the AL and NL take turns batting today), and after seeing many, many home runs, the finale was really epic. I think Cano could have hit 18 if he would have continued through his whole turn.

8. Ari Collins - Jul 12, 2011 at 12:36 AM

Both finalists were amazing. A-Gon for having the power to go the other way, and Cano for how very very very far he hit the ball.

I don’t usually watch the Derby, but I’m glad I did this year.

9. pjmarn6 - Jul 12, 2011 at 2:14 AM

What is this supposed to prove? Why don’t they use a hitting tee? Never watched this when it was on free tv and not going to pay to watch it on pay tv.

• Ari Collins - Jul 12, 2011 at 8:34 AM

It’s also free on the internet.

• phukyouk - Jul 12, 2011 at 9:55 AM

WTF is the internet?

10. sdelmonte - Jul 12, 2011 at 4:42 AM

Weird TV coverage, with all sorts of rotten camera angles. And lots of rather inane interviews.

Food for thought: when they play the ASG at Citi, will the Derby be the least bit interesting? Can they have a triple derby instead?

11. Jonny 5 - Jul 12, 2011 at 8:10 AM

I love how Pappi and the American league HRD team got on camera speaking Spanish together pretty often. I’m thinking that had to be on purpose, done to show exactly what and who this great sport is composed of, to the citizens of Arizona and the rest of the country. I’m not sure it will mean much because it’s tough to argue the whole “legal”illegal” argument, but it did give me a smirk to see. Maybe it wasn’t intentional, and it’s me hoping it was? But regardless it pleased me. Cano and his Pops stole the show btw.

• deathmonkey41 - Jul 12, 2011 at 9:21 AM

Have you ever heard Cano speak English? I’m pretty sure he feels more comfortable on camera using his native tongue.

• Jonny 5 - Jul 12, 2011 at 9:47 AM

Yes, he speaks English well. Which isn’t the point. I thought it seemed they were demonstrating their displeasure in the Arizona law in their own way. Which I liked.

• deathmonkey41 - Jul 12, 2011 at 11:00 AM

He does not speak English well, which was the point I was making. When the chick from YES interviews him after the game, it’s kind of painful watching because you see him struggling to think of the words to answer her. It’s why Hideki Matsui would only speak through an interpreter. I wouldn’t want to be on National TV mangling a language I wasn’t familiar with if I could help it. I don’t think this had anything to do with a protest- I think it was a bunch of guys speaking a language they’re more comfortable using.

• Jonny 5 - Jul 12, 2011 at 11:44 AM

Fair enough for you to think that, I guess. I thought he wasn’t too bad at speaking English myself. I mean he sure beats Chooch in that area. Whatever makes you feel comfortable, but the fact remains that Cano wasn’t the only Spanish speaking AL guy in the HRD, Ortiz is the captain of the 4 picked, and he’s been vocal about the law himself. I wasn’t saying ” this is what they were doing” I was just bringing it up as a possibility.

• deathmonkey41 - Jul 12, 2011 at 1:18 PM

Could have been, but my thoughts are that they are speaking their own language when outside the venue of an interview or something. If I learned another language, I would go back to speaking English whenever I was around friends.

12. hotkarlsandwich - Jul 12, 2011 at 8:59 AM

Matt Holliday should have had Ryan Franklin pitching BP to him if he wanted to go the teammate route.

13. funkygoorilla - Jul 12, 2011 at 9:19 AM

Something about the fact that a Yankee beat a Redsuck at the homerun derby is just so satisfying, it may get me through the day.

14. deathmonkey41 - Jul 12, 2011 at 9:29 AM

Big Papi only had 9? He’s going to have to talk to his guy.

15. foreverchipper10 - Jul 12, 2011 at 11:45 AM

I watched about 8 minutes of this and then put on whatever rerun of seinfeld or something that was taped on my tivo.

Teams searching for trade deadline impact
  1. H. Street (3733)