Jul 12, 2011, 7:35 PM EST
Baseball America points out a chilling investigative report by Alicia Ortega of Noticias Sin in the Dominican Republic. Three players, one of whom was later stabbed to death, have accused powerful Domincan trainer Enrique Soto of sexually assaulting them.
Soto was arrested in January, but he was released on bond in June.
Yunior Pena Peguero was one of the players accusing Soto in Ortega’s report. He says he had received death threats as a result of coming forward, and on June 26, he was stabbed to death in Bani, which is where Soto runs his program. He said Soto sexually assaulted him at age 15, and that he later developed a drug addiction and attempted suicide. He was 22 when he was killed.
It was the accusations from the other two interviewed that resulted in Soto’s arrest in January. Neither had their names revealed in the report.
According to Baseball America, Soto has trained such major leaguers as Miguel Tejada, Erick Aybar and Willy Aybar. He has denied all of the allegations against him and says it’s part of a blackmail scheme.
- Joe Posnanski: Remembering ‘Mr. Cub,’ Ernie Banks 12
- What they’re saying about the passing of Cubs legend Ernie Banks 7
- Alex Rodriguez recently met with incoming MLB commissioner Rob Manfred 14
- Ernie Banks, one of baseball’s greatest players and greatest ambassadors has died at age 83 75
- Sean Doolittle has a “slight” rotator cuff tear, won’t be ready for Opening Day 4
- Ryan Vogelsong re-signs with Giants after flirting with Astros 17
- Phillies and Brewers moving closer to Jonathan Papelbon trade 52
- Pete Rose will be at the All-Star Game in Cincinnati this year 28
- Bud Selig: The Greatest Commissioner in the History of Baseball (143)
- Max Scherzer’s seven-year deal with Nationals worth $210 million (119)
- Comments of the Day: some of you guys aren’t big Bud Selig fans (77)
- The 2015 Braves have “gravitas” and “veteran leadership” and will have dirty uniforms. Just kill me now. (76)
- Ernie Banks, one of baseball’s greatest players and greatest ambassadors has died at age 83 (75)