Jul 12, 2011, 7:35 PM EDT
Baseball America points out a chilling investigative report by Alicia Ortega of Noticias Sin in the Dominican Republic. Three players, one of whom was later stabbed to death, have accused powerful Domincan trainer Enrique Soto of sexually assaulting them.
Soto was arrested in January, but he was released on bond in June.
Yunior Pena Peguero was one of the players accusing Soto in Ortega’s report. He says he had received death threats as a result of coming forward, and on June 26, he was stabbed to death in Bani, which is where Soto runs his program. He said Soto sexually assaulted him at age 15, and that he later developed a drug addiction and attempted suicide. He was 22 when he was killed.
It was the accusations from the other two interviewed that resulted in Soto’s arrest in January. Neither had their names revealed in the report.
According to Baseball America, Soto has trained such major leaguers as Miguel Tejada, Erick Aybar and Willy Aybar. He has denied all of the allegations against him and says it’s part of a blackmail scheme.
- Kris Medlen leaves game with right forearm strain 14
- Cardinals sign Cuban middle infielder Aledmys Diaz to a four-year major league contract 48
- Cardinals and Matt Carpenter agree to a six-year, $52 million extension 10
- Jet Blue Park is absolutely incredible 59
- Gary Nolan one of many careers saved by Dr. Frank Jobe 17