Jul 12, 2011, 6:43 PM EDT
For the second day in a row, Prince Fielder talked Tuesday about how he’s not ruling anything out as he approaches free agency for the first time. That includes becoming a designated hitter.
“I did it a little in interleague. It’s not easy to do that,” said Fielder. “It’s different because you can’t have the sweat from playing defense. You have to have a routine to get loose. It’s not like you play defense, come in and you’re still warm. It takes effort to keep your body ready. It’s even harder mentally.”
Even though he’s just 27 and he’s one of the game’s best hitters, Fielder faces an uncertain market. Big spenders like the Yankees, Red Sox and Phillies already have first base spoken for, and he also has Albert Pujols to contend with.
“I’m not really ruling anything out,” said Fielder. “It’s tougher [being a DH], but I didn’t mind it. It was just something, it’s not, it’s something you have to learn. It’s not just something you can do and expect to be good without having to make any adjustment.”
Fielder then went off to look for his good friend Adam Dunn after missing him at the Home Run Derby last night.
- Lucas Duda’s last eight hits have been home runs 7
- Report: Larry Lucchino stepping down as president and CEO of the Red Sox 22
- Clayton Kershaw blanks the Angels over eight innings, runs consecutive scoreless innings streak to 37 13
- Clayton Kershaw and Mike Trout make MLB history in Saturday’s matchup 12
- Matt Williams on Bryce Harper’s ejection: “He needs to stay in the baseball game” 38
- UPDATE: C.J. Wilson needs elbow surgery and will likely miss the rest of the season 12
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 43
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game 186
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game (187)
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers (112)
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies (106)
- Royals make another big move, get Ben Zobrist from A’s (95)
- Report: Rockies trade Troy Tulowitzki to Blue Jays for Jose Reyes and prospects (90)