Jul 12, 2011, 5:30 PM EDT
Even as he continues to go radiation treatments after being diagnosed with brain cancer in May, Gary Carter is looking forward to a return to coaching next season, the New York Post points out.
“My dad’s plan is to return as the head baseball coach at Palm Beach Atlantic University for his third year,” Carter’s daughter, Kimmy Bloemers, wrote on a family website. “A committee has met at school and interviewed different candidates for the new position that is now open…the associate head baseball coach. We are praying for the perfect fit and so far we have some highly qualified coaches who want to be a big part of dad’s program. Dad has been involved in the hiring process and each interview. We should have someone hired very soon.”
According to Bloemers, Carter, who was recently diagnosed with bronchitis, is doing better of late.
“Dad has exercised more this past week than any other week,” Bloemers wrote. “His mind has been sharp and everything else is functioning as it should.”
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 17
- Report: Zack Wheeler expected to make 2-3 starts in minors before joining Mets 16
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 112
- Astros vendor brings snow cones into bathroom stall, gets fired 58
- Don Mattingly will still be the Dodgers’ manager on Friday 18
- MLB is putting players in camouflage uniforms on Memorial Day. Which is kinda weird. (118)
- Barry Bonds: Miguel Cabrera is the best … but not as good as me (114)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (112)
- Las Vegas police investigating Jose Canseco as a suspect in sexual assault case (80)
- Albert Pujols doesn’t matter anymore (74)
- Struggling Blackhawks on brink of elimination
- PHT: Wings push Blackhawks to brink | Highlights
- PHT: Kreider keeps Rangers alive | Highlights
- PHT: Kings defend home ice, up 3-2 | Highlights
- PBT: Hibbert says Battier's knee to groin intentional
- OlyTalk: Lochte says Phelps will return soon
- CSN: Francona returns to Boston | Legacy?