HBT All-Star Game live blog

Jul 12, 2011, 11:29 PM EDT

Washington Nationals v Arizona Diamondbacks Getty Images

UPDATE: Wilson gets Paul Konerko to ground out to end it. The National League wins 5-1. They will have home field advantage in the World Series for the second straight season. Thanks for hanging out, everyone. Stay tuned for a recap.

11:25 PM: Hey, did you guys know that Brian Wilson has a beard?

11:23 PM: Joel Hanrahan with some vintage Pirates’ action with that ugly throw backing up home plate. Brian Wilson coming on for the final two outs.

11:19 PM: Aw, we just witnessed Starlin Castro‘s first error in an All-Star Game. Adorable.

11:18 PM: Hanrahan sets aside Michael Young, team player for the first out.

11:16 PM: So is the Arizona crowd rooting for Joel Hanrahan to give up four runs here so that Miguel Montero can get his at-bat in the bottom of the ninth?

11:13 PM: Gio Gonzalez does his job at Ron Washington’s LOOGY, striking out Jay Bruce looking. It’s 5-1 NL headed into the top of the ninth.

11:09 PM: Ron Washington using two starters (Alexi Ogando and Gio Gonzalez) here in the bottom of the eighth. How counterintuitive.

11:00 PM: Heath Bell really hamming it up here. I’m sure his agent appreciated the Todd Coffey-like sprint and eventual slide.

10:57 PM: That’s what this game needs. More Zooey Deschanel, please.

10:55 PM: Set up be an uncharacteristic passed ball by Matt Wieters, Brandon League gives up a ground-rule double to Pablo Sandoval that gives the NL a 5-1 lead. I told ya Kung-Fu Panda should have started this one!

10:49 PM: Hunter Pence is a darn good baseball player, but he always looks like a mess out there. All arms and legs.

10:48 PM: Michael Cuddyer in at first base for Miguel Cabrera, who apparently had stiffness in his side. Hopefully he’s not the latest victim in the “Year of the Oblique.”

10:41 PM: After walking Konerko, Craig Kimbrel gets Howie Kendrick to ground out to second base for the final out of the top of the seventh. It’s still 4-1 NL.

And here’s Michelle Branch to sing “God Bless America,” because only people from Arizona are allowed to sing in Arizona.

10:32 PM: And FOX predictably uses Kevin Youkilis as a promo for “Moneyball.” Not surprised, but this just doesn’t feel right.

10:30 PM: Jurrjens getting a second inning here. Interesting. And yes, another reliever (Brandon League) up for the AL. Which closer didn’t make the AL roster? Is Kevin Gregg pitching the eighth? These ridiculous pitching rules really need to change.

10:22 PM: Really cool stuff by Heath Bell. One of Omar Minaya’s greatest hits was sending him to San Diego with Royce Ring for Ben Johnson and Jon Adkins. Who? Exactly.

10:16 PM: I want to give Ron Washington the benefit of the doubt in this game because of Josh Beckett‘s knee, but then I remember that Ron Washington is in charge of the pitching staff.

10:09 PM: Andre Ethier knocks in Rickie Weeks to give the National league a 4-1 lead, cut down on the way to second base for the third out of the inning. Jair Jurrjens coming in for the National League in the top of the sixth. That’s right. A real, genuine starting pitcher. What a novel concept!

10:04 PM: Chris Perez up in the bullpen for the American League. Seriously? Another reliever? This is getting really silly.

10:00 PM: Scott Rolen just looked like he was in pain after being blown away on the strikeout. Probably his last at-bat of the evening, anyway.

9:56 PM: Jordan Walden in for the American League to start the bottom of the fifth. The way pitchers have been used in this game thus far, you’d think there is a severe shortage of starting pitchers in MLB.

9:54 PM: Joe Buck saying David Ortiz shouldn’t get rung up because it’s the All-Star Game. You mean we shouldn’t take this game seriously? It “counts,” doesn’t it? So conflicted.

9:49 PM: Hey Batting Stance Guy, somebody is stealing your schtick.

9:41 PM: Prince Fielder hits a three-run homer, Arizona now crowd cheering. No convictions. Pick a side, people.

9:38 PM: This conversation between Justin Timberlake and Mark Grace is awwwwkward. Don’t think Timberlake knows about Gracie’s recent DUI arrest. By the way, how many movies is this All-Star Game promoting? Losing count.

9:37 PM: Beltran reaches on an infield single. If only we had somebody to make a jump-throw. Oh, who am I kidding, Jeter would have never gloved that…

9:34 PM: Pence guns down Jose Bautista at the plate for the third and final out of the fourth. Would have been interesting if we had a collision there, huh? Alas, Bautista attempted a slide.

9:29 PM: Tyler Clippard‘s kicks may be uglier than Cliff Lee‘s. And that’s saying something.

9:26 PM: The American League is on the board. A solo homer by Adrian Gonzalez. That’s the first home run in an All-Star Game since 2008.

9:23 PM: Hunter Pence replaces Matt Holliday in left while Justin Upton replaces Lance Berkman in right field to begin the top of the fourth inning. Happy now, Arizona?

9:21 PM: Pineda was nasty, not surprisingly. Strikes out two in a scoreless inning. Pitching dominating early in the desert.

9:19 PM: It’s nice to see Scott Rolen and his .241 batting average start the All-Star Game. Anybody know the last guy to start an All-Star Game with a batting average that low?

9:15 PM: It’s Michael Pineda time, it’s Michael Pineda time!

9:12 PM: This is the part where many will ask, “Who the heck is Alex Avila?”

9:11 PM: Cliff Lee obviously stepped in some blue paint on the way to the mound tonight. Either that, or he’s a walking advertisement for the new “Smurfs” movie.

9:05 PM: Berkman had second base stolen on the strikeout, but came off the bag. Including the regular season, he’s now 0-for-4 on stolen base attempts. No score after two innings.

9:03 PM: And…Lance Berkman has our first hit of the evening.

9:01 PM: Jose Bautista doesn’t just hit home runs. An amazing catch in the right field corner. Good thing the Jays are using him at third base.

8:58 PM: Uh oh. Apparently Josh Beckett felt some soreness in his left knee while warming up, so David Robertson (!) will pitch the second inning.

8:56 PM: Adrian Beltre puts a charge in one, but makes the third out on a fly ball to the warning track in right. Halladay tosses two scoreless frames on 19 pitches. Cliff Lee will pitch the third for the NL squad.

8:55 PM: Jose Reyes hanging out with Shane Victorino in the NL dugout. Was also standing next to him in the player intros. As a Mets fan, this alarms me.

8:52 PM: Jose Bautista skies out on the first pitch. At this point, Roy Halladay should just say, “I got this, guys” and go all nine.

8:49 PM: Matt Kemp is our first baserunner of the night. And Prince Fielder is greeted with you guessed it, more boos. Hey Arizona, do you want the National League to win?

8:47 PM: Beltran tanking it in the All-Star Game to affect his trade value. #blamebeltran

8:44 PM: I’m pretty sure Brian Wilson is going to stash Carlos Beltran is in his beard.

8:41 PM: Adrian Gonzalez grounds out to complete a 1-2-3 top of the first. The Home Run Derby obviously messed up his swing.

8:39 PM: One pitch, one out. Curtis Granderson didn’t read Moneyball.

8:37 PM: Michael Cuddyer announcing the lineup for the American League. He’s versatile.

8:31 PM: This crowd quite enjoyed Jordin Sparks’ rendition of the National Anthem. But she’s from Arizona, so that makes sense. Anyhow, let’s play ball already!

8:24 PM: This Arizona crowd is still really giving it to Prince Fielder and Rickie Weeks. And well, everyone except Justin Upton, Miguel Montero and Kirk Gibson. They seem to like Josh Hamilton a little bit, too. Weird stuff.

8:19 PM: Win the Home Run Derby, bat eighth. Funny how that works.

8:17 PM: Gee, lots of Giants at this game. It’s almost like their manager is choosing…oh right.

8:13 PM: The player intros have always been my favorite part of the All-Star Game. Yankees always booed, pin drops for Aaron Crow.

8:11 PM: Joe Buck must have the Mets’ doctors looking after his vocal cords. Seriously, is he OK?

8:09 PM: Brad Pitt is narrating this opening montage. I wonder if he has a movie coming out soon…

8:07 PM: I think we should get a petition started banning Smash Mouth from All-Star competition.

8:00 PM: You might not realize this, but I was this close to being named an injury replacement for the National League All-Star team. Unfortunately I finished sixth on the player ballot for third base. Anyhow, since I won’t be attending the game, I figured a live blog would have to suffice.

Tune in right here for my random thoughts and observations throughout the evening. Feel free to join the conversation in our comments section. I’m setting the over/under on complaints about Joe Buck and Tim McCarver at 37.

Here are the lineups for tonight’s game, which will be rendered meaningless by the second or third inning:

American League: Curtis Granderson (CF), Asdrubal Cabrera (SS), Adrian Gonzalez (1B), Jose Bautista (RF), Josh Hamilton (LF), Adrian Beltre (3B), David Ortiz (DH), Robinson Cano (2B), Alex Avila (C)

National League: Rickie Weeks (2B), Carlos Beltran (DH), Matt Kemp (CF), Prince Fielder (1B), Brian McCann (C), Lance Berkman (RF), Matt Holliday (LF), Troy Tulowitzki (SS), Scott Rolen (3B)

And your All-Star Game Starting Pitchers:

Roy Halladay (NL) vs. Jered Weaver (AL)

Since this one “counts,” my official prediction is that the National League will secure home field advantage in the World Series for a second straight year. I’m a National League guy, though, so I’d probably say that even if they were running the Padres’ starting lineup out there. Let’s go, Kevin Correia!

160 Comments (Feed for Comments)
  1. royalsfaninfargo - Jul 12, 2011 at 8:04 PM

Why does Mark Grace’s voice crack? Is he going through puberty?

• Craig Calcaterra - Jul 12, 2011 at 8:05 PM

Smokes. Lots and lots of smokes.

• royalsfaninfargo - Jul 12, 2011 at 8:07 PM

I figured it might have had something to do with the night he spent in jail not to long ago :-). j/k

2. easports82 - Jul 12, 2011 at 8:10 PM

I was selected as an alternate, but I’d already made plans with Minka Kelly. Then Jeter bailed on the game, but the AL already moved on down the list.

3. royalsfaninfargo - Jul 12, 2011 at 8:11 PM

Woops! Joe messed that one up

4. Lukehart80 - Jul 12, 2011 at 8:18 PM

An Indian in the starting line-up, I wasn’t sure I’d ever see that again. Thanks, Minka!

5. royalsfaninfargo - Jul 12, 2011 at 8:23 PM

Joe Buck sounds about as excited to be announcing as I am to get a root canal

6. Lukehart80 - Jul 12, 2011 at 8:34 PM

Buck doesn’t seem to recall Rivera’s most famous attempt at closing a game in Arizona.

• royalsfaninfargo - Jul 12, 2011 at 8:36 PM

Agreed, why are moaning about who isnt going to play instead of talking about who is playing?

7. yankeesfanlen - Jul 12, 2011 at 8:35 PM

OOPS, just happened to stumble in, is this the Derek Jeter Home Run Derby?

• easports82 - Jul 12, 2011 at 8:36 PM

Derek who?

• natstowngreg - Jul 12, 2011 at 8:37 PM

‘fraid not, this is the Minka Fan Club.

• cur68 - Jul 12, 2011 at 9:07 PM

Charter member, right here.

• Utley's Hair - Jul 12, 2011 at 9:29 PM

Seisenta y ocho, Jessica Alba would like a word….

• cur68 - Jul 12, 2011 at 9:58 PM

Mr. Hair, I can deal with both of them. And, if I can’t, I’d like to die trying.

8. yonchenko - Jul 12, 2011 at 8:38 PM

Am I the only one who has noticed that Joe Buck’s head tilts to the left in the middle of his head? It explains a lot.

• Jonny 5 - Jul 12, 2011 at 9:07 PM

He’s an alien, I hope he has his papers in order.

9. natstowngreg - Jul 12, 2011 at 8:39 PM

A Pitch!!!!

10. Lukehart80 - Jul 12, 2011 at 8:40 PM

Ugh, those two clowns don’t have AL MVP votes, do they?

11. easports82 - Jul 12, 2011 at 8:44 PM

Brian Wilson: Awesome

• natstowngreg - Jul 12, 2011 at 8:46 PM

Bud will fine The Beard for tampering. Not Wilson, just The Beard..

• Mr. Jason "El Bravo" Heyward - Jul 12, 2011 at 8:47 PM

I think I saw Juan Pierre in his beard.

• cur68 - Jul 12, 2011 at 9:08 PM

I think it was a live chicken you saw. Common mistake.

• Utley's Hair - Jul 12, 2011 at 9:31 PM

Again with the purdueman reference?

• Jonny 5 - Jul 12, 2011 at 10:27 PM

It was spudchukar in there. Dang potato birds….

12. Mr. Jason "El Bravo" Heyward - Jul 12, 2011 at 8:56 PM

Who’s dreamier? Jeter or Pitt?

13. Lukehart80 - Jul 12, 2011 at 8:57 PM

I’m going to be in New York this weekend as part of a vacation. I can go to one ballgame while I’m there, and so over the weekend I chose Friday night, thinking the Phillies would reset the rotation and I’d get to see Halladay. Today I learn they want to give him the weekend off, so Worley is getting the start instead.

Those two innings have really bummed me out for not getting to see him in-person.

Sigh…

14. royalsfaninfargo - Jul 12, 2011 at 8:58 PM

Fox should have brought someone else into the booth with those two. They sound like they are reading from a script. It is very boring.

• easports82 - Jul 12, 2011 at 9:00 PM

I see you’re a Royals fan, so I’m guessing you have not been properly introduced to Joe and Tim

• royalsfaninfargo - Jul 12, 2011 at 9:02 PM

Only when they do the Sat. fox game and the playoffs. That is enough for me. But anyone is better than Berman!

15. Jonny 5 - Jul 12, 2011 at 8:59 PM

What up ninjas? I’m looking for the powder room.

• Utley's Hair - Jul 12, 2011 at 9:35 PM

Jeter’s using it right now.

• Jonny 5 - Jul 12, 2011 at 10:31 PM

I hear he’s a real powder room fanatic. It’s a real status symbol ya know……

16. sdelmonte - Jul 12, 2011 at 8:59 PM

This must be the earliest Robertson has ever pitched. Must be weird for him.

17. royalsfaninfargo - Jul 12, 2011 at 9:06 PM

Berkman tries to steal a base? This has got to be an exhibition!

• yankeesfanlen - Jul 12, 2011 at 9:09 PM

Not a competition. Please no wagering!

18. easports82 - Jul 12, 2011 at 9:06 PM

Anyone take the over on Lance Berkman caught stealing?

19. yankeesfanlen - Jul 12, 2011 at 9:07 PM

Where’s that rolling comment thingy? Can’t have a snark-a-minute this way.

20. cur68 - Jul 12, 2011 at 9:10 PM

Fielder’s gonna lose weight if he keeps jogging to first like that.

21. Jonny 5 - Jul 12, 2011 at 9:14 PM

So, the NL pretty much lost a bet and has to wear ugly spikes this week huh?

22. Lukehart80 - Jul 12, 2011 at 9:15 PM

That girl in “Captain America” sure isn’t ugly.

• sdelmonte - Jul 12, 2011 at 9:19 PM

Too bad the film itself looks like More of the Same.

• Lukehart80 - Jul 12, 2011 at 9:22 PM

I don’t know, it’s a “period” superhero movie; that’s a bit different, right?

23. spindervish - Jul 12, 2011 at 9:17 PM

As weak as that flick looks, serious thumbs up for “46 & 2.”

• Jonny 5 - Jul 12, 2011 at 9:24 PM

Dude, you know………..

24. royalsfaninfargo - Jul 12, 2011 at 9:18 PM

3 innings, 3 pitchers for the AL . Isnt that how they got in trouble in 2002?

25. easports82 - Jul 12, 2011 at 9:19 PM

So the All-Star Game should’ve turned into National Derek Jeter Appreciation night? Shut up, Tim.

• sdelmonte - Jul 12, 2011 at 9:24 PM

Beats hearing them talk about Wrestlemania.

I remember when McCarver was good. What happened?

• easports82 - Jul 12, 2011 at 9:26 PM

Good at broadcasting? What drugs were you on?

• jimbo1949 - Jul 12, 2011 at 9:29 PM

I think you got smarter.

Does anyone want to win the NL wild card?
  1. M. Cuddyer (2848)