HBT All-Star Game live blog

Jul 12, 2011, 11:29 PM EST

Washington Nationals v Arizona Diamondbacks Getty Images

UPDATE: Wilson gets Paul Konerko to ground out to end it. The National League wins 5-1. They will have home field advantage in the World Series for the second straight season. Thanks for hanging out, everyone. Stay tuned for a recap.

11:25 PM: Hey, did you guys know that Brian Wilson has a beard?

11:23 PM: Joel Hanrahan with some vintage Pirates’ action with that ugly throw backing up home plate. Brian Wilson coming on for the final two outs.

11:19 PM: Aw, we just witnessed Starlin Castro‘s first error in an All-Star Game. Adorable.

11:18 PM: Hanrahan sets aside Michael Young, team player for the first out.

11:16 PM: So is the Arizona crowd rooting for Joel Hanrahan to give up four runs here so that Miguel Montero can get his at-bat in the bottom of the ninth?

11:13 PM: Gio Gonzalez does his job at Ron Washington’s LOOGY, striking out Jay Bruce looking. It’s 5-1 NL headed into the top of the ninth.

11:09 PM: Ron Washington using two starters (Alexi Ogando and Gio Gonzalez) here in the bottom of the eighth. How counterintuitive.

11:00 PM: Heath Bell really hamming it up here. I’m sure his agent appreciated the Todd Coffey-like sprint and eventual slide.

10:57 PM: That’s what this game needs. More Zooey Deschanel, please.

10:55 PM: Set up be an uncharacteristic passed ball by Matt Wieters, Brandon League gives up a ground-rule double to Pablo Sandoval that gives the NL a 5-1 lead. I told ya Kung-Fu Panda should have started this one!

10:49 PM: Hunter Pence is a darn good baseball player, but he always looks like a mess out there. All arms and legs.

10:48 PM: Michael Cuddyer in at first base for Miguel Cabrera, who apparently had stiffness in his side. Hopefully he’s not the latest victim in the “Year of the Oblique.”

10:41 PM: After walking Konerko, Craig Kimbrel gets Howie Kendrick to ground out to second base for the final out of the top of the seventh. It’s still 4-1 NL.

And here’s Michelle Branch to sing “God Bless America,” because only people from Arizona are allowed to sing in Arizona.

10:32 PM: And FOX predictably uses Kevin Youkilis as a promo for “Moneyball.” Not surprised, but this just doesn’t feel right.

10:30 PM: Jurrjens getting a second inning here. Interesting. And yes, another reliever (Brandon League) up for the AL. Which closer didn’t make the AL roster? Is Kevin Gregg pitching the eighth? These ridiculous pitching rules really need to change.

10:22 PM: Really cool stuff by Heath Bell. One of Omar Minaya’s greatest hits was sending him to San Diego with Royce Ring for Ben Johnson and Jon Adkins. Who? Exactly.

10:16 PM: I want to give Ron Washington the benefit of the doubt in this game because of Josh Beckett‘s knee, but then I remember that Ron Washington is in charge of the pitching staff.

10:09 PM: Andre Ethier knocks in Rickie Weeks to give the National league a 4-1 lead, cut down on the way to second base for the third out of the inning. Jair Jurrjens coming in for the National League in the top of the sixth. That’s right. A real, genuine starting pitcher. What a novel concept!

10:04 PM: Chris Perez up in the bullpen for the American League. Seriously? Another reliever? This is getting really silly.

10:00 PM: Scott Rolen just looked like he was in pain after being blown away on the strikeout. Probably his last at-bat of the evening, anyway.

9:56 PM: Jordan Walden in for the American League to start the bottom of the fifth. The way pitchers have been used in this game thus far, you’d think there is a severe shortage of starting pitchers in MLB.

9:54 PM: Joe Buck saying David Ortiz shouldn’t get rung up because it’s the All-Star Game. You mean we shouldn’t take this game seriously? It “counts,” doesn’t it? So conflicted.

9:49 PM: Hey Batting Stance Guy, somebody is stealing your schtick.

9:41 PM: Prince Fielder hits a three-run homer, Arizona now crowd cheering. No convictions. Pick a side, people.

9:38 PM: This conversation between Justin Timberlake and Mark Grace is awwwwkward. Don’t think Timberlake knows about Gracie’s recent DUI arrest. By the way, how many movies is this All-Star Game promoting? Losing count.

9:37 PM: Beltran reaches on an infield single. If only we had somebody to make a jump-throw. Oh, who am I kidding, Jeter would have never gloved that…

9:34 PM: Pence guns down Jose Bautista at the plate for the third and final out of the fourth. Would have been interesting if we had a collision there, huh? Alas, Bautista attempted a slide.

9:29 PM: Tyler Clippard‘s kicks may be uglier than Cliff Lee‘s. And that’s saying something.

9:26 PM: The American League is on the board. A solo homer by Adrian Gonzalez. That’s the first home run in an All-Star Game since 2008.

9:23 PM: Hunter Pence replaces Matt Holliday in left while Justin Upton replaces Lance Berkman in right field to begin the top of the fourth inning. Happy now, Arizona?

9:21 PM: Pineda was nasty, not surprisingly. Strikes out two in a scoreless inning. Pitching dominating early in the desert.

9:19 PM: It’s nice to see Scott Rolen and his .241 batting average start the All-Star Game. Anybody know the last guy to start an All-Star Game with a batting average that low?

9:15 PM: It’s Michael Pineda time, it’s Michael Pineda time!

9:12 PM: This is the part where many will ask, “Who the heck is Alex Avila?”

9:11 PM: Cliff Lee obviously stepped in some blue paint on the way to the mound tonight. Either that, or he’s a walking advertisement for the new “Smurfs” movie.

9:05 PM: Berkman had second base stolen on the strikeout, but came off the bag. Including the regular season, he’s now 0-for-4 on stolen base attempts. No score after two innings.

9:03 PM: And…Lance Berkman has our first hit of the evening.

9:01 PM: Jose Bautista doesn’t just hit home runs. An amazing catch in the right field corner. Good thing the Jays are using him at third base.

8:58 PM: Uh oh. Apparently Josh Beckett felt some soreness in his left knee while warming up, so David Robertson (!) will pitch the second inning.

8:56 PM: Adrian Beltre puts a charge in one, but makes the third out on a fly ball to the warning track in right. Halladay tosses two scoreless frames on 19 pitches. Cliff Lee will pitch the third for the NL squad.

8:55 PM: Jose Reyes hanging out with Shane Victorino in the NL dugout. Was also standing next to him in the player intros. As a Mets fan, this alarms me.

8:52 PM: Jose Bautista skies out on the first pitch. At this point, Roy Halladay should just say, “I got this, guys” and go all nine.

8:49 PM: Matt Kemp is our first baserunner of the night. And Prince Fielder is greeted with you guessed it, more boos. Hey Arizona, do you want the National League to win?

8:47 PM: Beltran tanking it in the All-Star Game to affect his trade value. #blamebeltran

8:44 PM: I’m pretty sure Brian Wilson is going to stash Carlos Beltran is in his beard.

8:41 PM: Adrian Gonzalez grounds out to complete a 1-2-3 top of the first. The Home Run Derby obviously messed up his swing.

8:39 PM: One pitch, one out. Curtis Granderson didn’t read Moneyball.

8:37 PM: Michael Cuddyer announcing the lineup for the American League. He’s versatile.

8:31 PM: This crowd quite enjoyed Jordin Sparks’ rendition of the National Anthem. But she’s from Arizona, so that makes sense. Anyhow, let’s play ball already!

8:24 PM: This Arizona crowd is still really giving it to Prince Fielder and Rickie Weeks. And well, everyone except Justin Upton, Miguel Montero and Kirk Gibson. They seem to like Josh Hamilton a little bit, too. Weird stuff.

8:19 PM: Win the Home Run Derby, bat eighth. Funny how that works.

8:17 PM: Gee, lots of Giants at this game. It’s almost like their manager is choosing…oh right.

8:13 PM: The player intros have always been my favorite part of the All-Star Game. Yankees always booed, pin drops for Aaron Crow.

8:11 PM: Joe Buck must have the Mets’ doctors looking after his vocal cords. Seriously, is he OK?

8:09 PM: Brad Pitt is narrating this opening montage. I wonder if he has a movie coming out soon…

8:07 PM: I think we should get a petition started banning Smash Mouth from All-Star competition.

8:00 PM: You might not realize this, but I was this close to being named an injury replacement for the National League All-Star team. Unfortunately I finished sixth on the player ballot for third base. Anyhow, since I won’t be attending the game, I figured a live blog would have to suffice.

Tune in right here for my random thoughts and observations throughout the evening. Feel free to join the conversation in our comments section. I’m setting the over/under on complaints about Joe Buck and Tim McCarver at 37.

Here are the lineups for tonight’s game, which will be rendered meaningless by the second or third inning:

American League: Curtis Granderson (CF), Asdrubal Cabrera (SS), Adrian Gonzalez (1B), Jose Bautista (RF), Josh Hamilton (LF), Adrian Beltre (3B), David Ortiz (DH), Robinson Cano (2B), Alex Avila (C)

National League: Rickie Weeks (2B), Carlos Beltran (DH), Matt Kemp (CF), Prince Fielder (1B), Brian McCann (C), Lance Berkman (RF), Matt Holliday (LF), Troy Tulowitzki (SS), Scott Rolen (3B)

And your All-Star Game Starting Pitchers:

Roy Halladay (NL) vs. Jered Weaver (AL)

Since this one “counts,” my official prediction is that the National League will secure home field advantage in the World Series for a second straight year. I’m a National League guy, though, so I’d probably say that even if they were running the Padres’ starting lineup out there. Let’s go, Kevin Correia!

160 Comments (Feed for Comments)
  1. Lukehart80 - Jul 12, 2011 at 9:24 PM

Just when I thought Curtis Granderson couldn’t get any cooler, his list of favorite wrestlers goes up and includes JYD!

2. Jonny 5 - Jul 12, 2011 at 9:26 PM

Ok, who let Rolen in?

• goldensombrero3000 - Jul 12, 2011 at 9:33 PM

I know, right? if anyone should be sitting out and resting it should be him.

3. royalsfaninfargo - Jul 12, 2011 at 9:26 PM

Good catch by the dude in yellow!

• Lukehart80 - Jul 12, 2011 at 9:29 PM

A grown man with a glove gets no credit.

• royalsfaninfargo - Jul 12, 2011 at 9:31 PM

Prince should have watched him closer.

4. explodet - Jul 12, 2011 at 9:27 PM

I love Gary Thorne, but every time he mispronounces Halladay, it makes me want to rip my hair out.

5. easports82 - Jul 12, 2011 at 9:33 PM

Pete Rose did not approve of that slide

• royalsfaninfargo - Jul 12, 2011 at 9:36 PM

I bet Brian Sabean did.

• jjschiller - Jul 12, 2011 at 9:55 PM

It’s not his player. He doesn’t give a damn.

6. goldensombrero3000 - Jul 12, 2011 at 9:37 PM

Since they are playing in a National League park why are they using a DH?

• Lukehart80 - Jul 12, 2011 at 9:39 PM

They decided to use it in all All-Star Games a couple years ago, not that pitchers were ever batting in it over the last 20 years anyway.

• goldensombrero3000 - Jul 12, 2011 at 9:49 PM

That’s fine. I just want to see some pinch hitting, double switches and a 0-2 bunt so you don’t hit into a double play.

7. Spiro Agnew - Jul 12, 2011 at 9:38 PM

jt is making fun of buck right to his face, fantastic!

8. kopy - Jul 12, 2011 at 9:38 PM

I enjoy Justin Timberlake’s stance on beer.

• royalsfaninfargo - Jul 12, 2011 at 9:39 PM

I wonder if the Phoenix police agree with Mark Grace’s stance on beer?

9. Jonny 5 - Jul 12, 2011 at 9:40 PM

Joe Buck sounds like he ate 4 burritos, loaded with pain killers for dinner.

• Mr. Jason "El Bravo" Heyward - Jul 12, 2011 at 9:41 PM

That’s what I had for dinner, silly.

10. macjacmccoy - Jul 12, 2011 at 9:42 PM

Whats Bochy some kind of asshole? Over a week ago Halladay makes it known that he doesnt want to pitch first bc he doesnt want to go 2 innings and Bochy names him the starter anyway and has him pitch 2 innings. Then he has Cliff Lee start the 3rd inning which is fine. But then he brings Lee back out to pitch the 4th? The guy has only had 2 days of rest and has pitched a ton this season and you pull some bush league shit like that ? We already had 1 pitcher go down with an injury tonight I guess that wasnt enough for Bochy.

I gurantee he doesnt have a Giants pitcher go more then 1 inning. Its obvious whats going on and its a real cowardly thing to do.

• Utley's Hair - Jul 12, 2011 at 9:48 PM

Yes, he is. And Washington only had Weaver out there for an inning, so I ask you, WTF?

• Mr. Jason "El Bravo" Heyward - Jul 12, 2011 at 9:51 PM

You guys want some cheese with that whine?

• Utley's Hair - Jul 12, 2011 at 9:53 PM

Dude, you used that line on Colby’s dad.

• Mr. Jason "El Bravo" Heyward - Jul 12, 2011 at 9:54 PM

Is Colby’s dad Mr. Muenster?

• easports82 - Jul 12, 2011 at 9:53 PM

Bochy’s managing to win because “This one counts”

11. goldensombrero3000 - Jul 12, 2011 at 9:45 PM

Why are they using a DH if they are playing in a National League Park? Nihilo sanctum estne?

• Utley's Hair - Jul 12, 2011 at 9:47 PM

Lukehart80 answered that the last time you asked, man in the yellow hat.

• goldensombrero3000 - Jul 12, 2011 at 9:51 PM

screwed up

• Utley's Hair - Jul 12, 2011 at 10:01 PM

I apparently do that a lot—just ask my wife.

• George - Jul 12, 2011 at 9:47 PM

Were you not satisfied with the response you received last time you asked?

• Mr. Jason "El Bravo" Heyward - Jul 12, 2011 at 9:49 PM

I’m gonna go get the papers, get the papers.

• Utley's Hair - Jul 12, 2011 at 9:52 PM

Hmmm…”George” is replying to the man in the yellow hat…interesting….

• royalsfaninfargo - Jul 12, 2011 at 9:52 PM

Great reference!

• George - Jul 12, 2011 at 10:09 PM

Well, now I’m curious.

12. royalsfaninfargo - Jul 12, 2011 at 9:45 PM

I heard the Zona fans cheering for Upton. Happy now DJ?

13. royalsfaninfargo - Jul 12, 2011 at 9:54 PM

Didnt Craig say he was going to try to get himself banned tonight?

• Lukehart80 - Jul 12, 2011 at 9:56 PM

He already did, after calling D.J. some pretty terrible things during the anthem.

• Mr. Jason "El Bravo" Heyward - Jul 12, 2011 at 9:57 PM

DJ runs a tight ship and banned him after one comment. DJ, I heard, stands for Deadly Jester….. or Dooty Juice. I can’t remeber which.

• Mr. Jason "El Bravo" Heyward - Jul 12, 2011 at 9:59 PM

edit function

• royalsfaninfargo - Jul 12, 2011 at 9:59 PM

He must. I tried to set Craig up with a softball about Gracie’s night in jail, but DJ must not have been playing!

• Utley's Hair - Jul 12, 2011 at 9:59 PM

Gator? Is that you?

• Mr. Jason "El Bravo" Heyward - Jul 12, 2011 at 10:04 PM

Win life gives you gators, you make mothaf@ckin Gatorade.

• Mr. Jason "El Bravo" Heyward - Jul 12, 2011 at 10:05 PM

Win? I swear I haven’t smoked that much….um, when, yeahhhh

14. Mr. Jason "El Bravo" Heyward - Jul 12, 2011 at 10:02 PM

Good ol fashioned baseball play at the plate. Nice.

15. cur68 - Jul 12, 2011 at 10:05 PM

Screaming foul ball by Eithier sounds like it hit The Mighty Thor down there. Quite a bang.

• Jonny 5 - Jul 12, 2011 at 10:16 PM

He sure has purrrty hair……….. hyuck hyuck

16. easports82 - Jul 12, 2011 at 10:07 PM

Was that Lincecum or a teenage girl?

• Lukehart80 - Jul 12, 2011 at 10:10 PM

Careful, you’re going to get Roger Clemens excited with talk like that.

• royalsfaninfargo - Jul 12, 2011 at 10:11 PM

Zing!

17. Jonny 5 - Jul 12, 2011 at 10:12 PM

Is Pablo sick? He looks gaunt.

18. aclassyguyfromaclassytown - Jul 12, 2011 at 10:15 PM

Sorry for being late to the party. Have been reading the first Game of Thrones book. I’m not the fastest reader, so I take what time I can get to try to get through a few chapters, and my wife and daughter are out of town till tomorrow night. Saying that makes me feel old.Oh right, baseball talk! Halladay gave the NL 2 solid innings, as I think we all expected. Fielder hitting a homer was no surprise. Man I hope he’s not a Yankee next year. Well, I’d take that over a Brave or Met. Should he become any of the 3, I’m gonna do my part to convince him to take trasmus3 on as a personal trainer, so as to sabotage his time with whichever orginization. Who are we kidding, Prince knows a thing or 2 about bad baseball dads. Please don’t tell him I said that. The man frightens me.Thanks to all other NL players for sealing the deal for the Fightins to have home field advantage in the World Series, should we hold the lead that is. The bearded lady has blown a few save opportunities of late. That’ll get some thumbs down from the giants fans.

• Mr. Jason "El Bravo" Heyward - Jul 12, 2011 at 10:30 PM

Matt Joyce??

• Mr. Jason "El Bravo" Heyward - Jul 12, 2011 at 10:31 PM

Yes, Cuban B

• aclassyguyfromaclassytown - Jul 12, 2011 at 10:38 PM

AbbaZabba, you my only friend!

• Mr. Jason "El Bravo" Heyward - Jul 12, 2011 at 10:48 PM

Yeah I got sidetracked, hence the Matt Joyce response, which was intended to be a stand alone comment.

19. halladaysbiceps - Jul 12, 2011 at 10:18 PM

The Bicepts checking in. The Fox coverage of this game sucks. Half the time they are too busy talking to people on the sides (Timberlake), extended commercials causing missing pitches, etc. Horrible.

• easports82 - Jul 12, 2011 at 10:20 PM

Hey, you can’t say they aren’t consistent

• halladaysbiceps - Jul 12, 2011 at 10:25 PM

Yeah. And what’s with the hair on these guys. Don’t they make enough money to afford a good barber.

20. halladaysbiceps - Jul 12, 2011 at 10:30 PM

I’m all for standing up to cancer, but this is over-done. This has turned into the Jack Buck show. He does all the pregame emcee stuff, comes on air and sounds like he has a load in his mouth, and now more emcee stuff.

“2011 All-Star game, your star of the show, Jack Buck.”

• royalsfaninfargo - Jul 12, 2011 at 10:32 PM

Joe Buck, but thats the Cepts we know and love!

• halladaysbiceps - Jul 12, 2011 at 10:34 PM

Joe Buck, right, not thinking straight. I said his father’s name by accident. Well, that’s what a 12 pack will do to you during this game.

The comedy in this game continues with the Joe Buck show.

• Utley's Hair - Jul 12, 2011 at 11:25 PM

Well, Joe’s doing his best to sound like Jack…or a zombie. I swear, I think Schmuck and McCarebear are doing better than usual at making this game as excruciatingly monotonous as they possibly can.

21. royalsfaninfargo - Jul 12, 2011 at 10:30 PM

Good to see McCutchen in there.

• Mr. Jason "El Bravo" Heyward - Jul 12, 2011 at 10:34 PM

They were playing the Cubs in the Pitt the other day when they announced in the stadium that he made the AS squad…the crowd cheered so he did a little “curtain call” from the dugout when he wasn’t even a part of the game at that moment. It was pretty cool, I’m not sure I’ve seen that before.

• aclassyguyfromaclassytown - Jul 12, 2011 at 10:39 PM

Agreed. He deserved to be there.

22. aclassyguyfromaclassytown - Jul 12, 2011 at 10:36 PM

I don’t like to give the Braves credit, but I’m surprised they didn’t bring (I’m not gonna look up the spelling of this) Jurrgens till the 7th. He’s been the 4th best pitcher in the NL this season.

• Mr. Jason "El Bravo" Heyward - Jul 12, 2011 at 10:43 PM

The Phils and Braves will pitch almost 7 innings of this one.

23. easports82 - Jul 12, 2011 at 10:39 PM

Holy crap! Fox is bugging the bullpen phones!

24. Jonny 5 - Jul 12, 2011 at 10:42 PM

Is it my imagination or is Bochy rubbing his &^%* all over the Phills and Braves pitchers tonight? If Hamels comes out Charlie will be madderin a snake in a snake in a pickle barrel.

• royalsfaninfargo - Jul 12, 2011 at 10:46 PM

It is funny that he named 4 pitchers from his own team and hasnt used one of them.

• FC - Jul 13, 2011 at 12:23 AM

Relax, Bochy is simply Acknowledging the Superiority of Phils & Braves pitching. 20 or so pitches won’t make anyone’s arm fall off. It’s an extended bullpen session. All of them can cut back on their regular workouts to compensate. If Bochy REALLY thinks that making Hallady, Jurrjens and Lee work 2.0 IP is gonna give him an edge during the season he’s two things: a TOOL and a FOOL.

• Jonny 5 - Jul 13, 2011 at 8:46 AM

No, he did it because he could. That was it. I know it’s nothing to get worked up about. Plus it gave me an excuse to say “madderin a snake in a snake in a pickle barrel”. Which is always fun.

25. Mr. Jason "El Bravo" Heyward - Jul 12, 2011 at 10:47 PM

Yo DJ, Venters hasn’t pitched yet.

• D.J. Short - Jul 12, 2011 at 10:56 PM

Word. Wrong overworked Braves’ reliever on the brain!

Cubs shore up rotation with Jon Lester