Jury selection in Clemens case drags along, has its moments of entertainment

Jul 12, 2011, 9:11 AM EST

Roger Clemens

We’re three days into jury selection in the Roger Clemens perjury case and they still don’t have 12 people in the box. Like I said last week: it happens. It can be slow if everyone is being super thorough, and that appears to be the case here.

But hey, it’s not our meter running on Rusty Hardin’s legal fees, and the prosecutors who are being paid by our taxes are on salary, so no need for us to fret about it. Besides, there has been some great fun in the jury selection process that we wouldn’t have had if they did it like your run of the mill armed robbery case and sat the panel quickly. Fun like this:

One woman who made it through to the next round is a former attorney turned yoga instructor who said she saw some of Clemens’ congressional testimony and thought ”he seemed sincere.” The judge asked her, ””Have you ever heard about performance enhancing drugs in yoga?” She said no, ”we tend to be vegetarians.” But she thinks that some drugs should be legal and U.S. drug laws ”are a bit heavy-handed.”

Another potential juror, a lawyer for the Federal Communications Commission, said she does not watch sports on television and doesn’t even know how to turn on the TV at home. She said her husband told her it looked like she was being called for the Clemens jury and she got him confused with all-star Pittsburgh Pirates right fielder Roberto Clemente, who she apparently didn’t realize died in 1972

Another woman praised Michael Vick and said “I thought he was done wrong.”  Seriously.

I’m guessing that the prosecutors kept her and the yoga lady off the jury. Unclear how the no-TV/Roberto Clemente woman cuts. I’d probably not want her on any jury I had to persuade of anything. Without decades of TV softening her brain, she may not be as malleable as others.

Oh, and given that she works for the FCC — the people who regulate television content — and that she doesn’t watch TV should probably tell you something, folks. And I’ll just come out and say it: all non-sports television content is designed to destroy and control your lives.  Except the stuff on NBC, that is. No problems there, I can assure you.

(thanks to Kiwicricket for the heads up)

1. halladaysbiceps - Jul 12, 2011 at 9:25 AM

Honestly, just like the Barry Bonds case, does anyone even care anymore about what happens to Clemens? Best case scenario is that he walks like Bonds with no jail time. Worse case scenario for him is that he gets up to a year in jail. Either way the man is disgraced for the rest of his life in the court of public opinion. I don’t care if Clemens goes to jail or not.

If baseball had policed their own sport back then in regards to steriods, the Bonds and Clemens purjury trial would never have came to be because congress would have never intervened. Congress did the job that Bud Selig failed to do. Maybe MLB can reinburse the American taxpayers for both of these trials because it was their problem to begin with.

2. adenzeno - Jul 12, 2011 at 9:30 AM

This has nothing to do with the Clemens case, but as you are a lawyer, maybe you can explain this to me. I keep reading that if the Mets DONT allow Krod to finish games as he nears the 55 game mark, that there may be a grievance. Don’t teams have the right to determine how they will use a player? Please forgive the hijacking of this thread, but I couldn’t find another place to ask it.

• Matt - Jul 12, 2011 at 9:46 AM

I believe it’s because contracts require some level of fair dealing from both sides. So, when the Mets negotiated the contract and included the clause that KRod would get paid a bonus if he meets this milestone they are bound to deal with this clause fairly. If they insert a bonus clause, and use KRod up to 54 games but then suddenly shift his role in the ‘pen for no injury or performance reason it appears (rightly) that they are taking the extra step solely to keep KRod from being paid which would be an underhanded (or unfair) action. Especially when dealing with a union whose job is to police these things to insure that players get the compensation that they negotiated in the beginning, you can expect that if the union feels that the Mets are being unfair in their dealings with KRod that they will attempt to make sure this unfairness doesn’t leave him uncompensated. If the demotion was for legitimate reasons then the Mets would have a good argument before the arbiter of the grievance, but if the sole reason is the desire to not pay him their argument won’t be very strong.

• adenzeno - Jul 12, 2011 at 9:49 AM

Thank you for the explanation. I was unaware of the “fair dealing” aspect.

3. kiwicricket - Jul 12, 2011 at 10:03 AM

Anyone have a rough ball-park figure as to what Clemens might be spending on this entire thing? I have no clue and am kind of curious. Somewhat more than staying home for a few weeks and ignoring the local papers I would imagine.
    What might a gentleman like Rusty Hardin go for per/hr?

• kiwicricket - Jul 12, 2011 at 10:08 AM

*facepalm.. (it’s 2am here!)…..sorry, the Rusty Hardin bit was supposed to sound less errrmm sexual.

4. Mr. Jason "El Bravo" Heyward - Jul 12, 2011 at 10:17 AM

Yoga instructor who finds our drug laws a little heavy-handed….hmmmm. How do I go about getting this woman’s number?

5. seanmk - Jul 12, 2011 at 10:36 AM

so long as the yoga instructer doesn’t ask clemens what a vegan is

6. foreverchipper10 - Jul 12, 2011 at 12:44 PM

People like this make me feel better about myself.

7. sjhaack - Jul 12, 2011 at 2:13 PM

I imagine working for the FCC and not wanting to watch tv is a little bit like, for example, working for Comcast and not wanting to talk on the phone.

Cubs shore up rotation with Jon Lester
  1. W. Myers (3322)
  2. J. Kang (3145)
  3. C. McGehee (2855)
  4. J. Upton (2853)
  5. W. Middlebrooks (2834)
  1. D. Ross (2688)