Jul 12, 2011, 6:03 PM EDT
As it turned out, they did neither. With both Bay and Holliday still waiting around for bigger offers to come in, the Red Sox spent $82.5 million to sign John Lackey and then chose Mike Cameron to round out their outfield. A year later, they signed Carl Crawford to a $142 million deal to take over as their long-term left fielder.
The Red Sox did offer Holliday $85 million for five years, though. And he was interested in playing in Boston.
“I liked playing there in the (2007) World Series,” he told the Boston Herald. “They were a team I was interested in. I knew some people in the organization and they were obviously very competitive, with a chance to win the World Series every year. They had everything I was looking for. And so did St. Louis – but I was definitely considering Boston if they had stayed in it.”
Of course, Holliday eventually re-signed with the Cardinals for $120 million over seven years, and he seems to have no regrets.
- The San Jose lawsuit against Major League Baseball should be thrown out of court 32
- San Jose sues Major League Baseball, challenging its monopoly power 26
- Original Biogenesis source: “the people running Major League Baseball are the biggest scumbags on Earth” 40
- Brian Cashman calls out Yankees hitting coach Kevin Long 50
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 84
- MLB hands down the suspensions for Tuesday night’s Dodgers-Diamondbacks melee (111)
- Neil deGrasse Tyson explains why beanball wars are stupid (104)
- Democrats beat the Republicans 22-0 in the Congressional Baseball Game (98)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (97)
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights (88)
- Can Heat focus enough to avoid elimination?
- CSN: Bruins' defense never rests in Game 3 win
- CSN: Celtics-Clippers KG, Rivers trade talks dead
- PFT: Freed Johnson wants second chance in NFL
- PBT: Judges rules Iverson did not kidnap children
- PFT: Rodgers says Packers' moves a 'wake-up call'
- PFT: Beckham turned down chance to kick in NFL