Matt Holliday says he was interested in the Red Sox

Jul 12, 2011, 6:03 PM EST

Matt Holliday AP

Following the 2009 season, there was much speculation whether the Red Sox would attempt to re-sign Jason Bay or if they’d go for an even bigger fish and try to sign Matt Holliday in free agency.

As it turned out, they did neither.  With both Bay and Holliday still waiting around for bigger offers to come in, the Red Sox spent $82.5 million to sign John Lackey and then chose Mike Cameron to round out their outfield.  A year later, they signed Carl Crawford to a $142 million deal to take over as their long-term left fielder.

The Red Sox did offer Holliday $85 million for five years, though.  And he was interested in playing in Boston.

“I liked playing there in the (2007) World Series,” he told the Boston Herald. “They were a team I was interested in. I knew some people in the organization and they were obviously very competitive, with a chance to win the World Series every year. They had everything I was looking for. And so did St. Louis – but I was definitely considering Boston if they had stayed in it.”

Of course, Holliday eventually re-signed with the Cardinals for $120 million over seven years, and he seems to have no regrets.

1. aclassyguyfromaclassytown - Jul 12, 2011 at 6:09 PM

Anyone else want to jump on the bandwagon and be “Interested in the Red Sox”? I’m waiting for a semi-decent player to come out and say they’re interested in playing for a bad team like the Astros, or worse yet, the Mets.

• marshmallowsnake - Jul 12, 2011 at 6:20 PM

I am interested! Have been for 30 years…they still won’t sign me.

2. skerney - Jul 12, 2011 at 6:13 PM

I’m jumping on the “Im interested in Mila Kunis’ bandwagon.

• rexryanisablowhard - Jul 12, 2011 at 6:23 PM

second that!

3. uyf1950 - Jul 12, 2011 at 6:14 PM

I’m sure I know the question that’s on everyone’s mind. If you were the Theo Epstein who would you rather be manning left field for your team.
    Matt Holliday at a cost of 7 years $120M total
    or
    Carl Crawford at a cost of 7 years $142M total

I will leave it at that.

• aceshigh11 - Jul 12, 2011 at 6:30 PM

Ugh. That’s enough to make me cry.

• baseballisboring - Jul 13, 2011 at 2:50 AM

Let’s give Crawford a chance, at least. The Cards will be regretting that contract by like, 2015. Crawford’s skill set ages better. His 2011 value will not be commensurate with his contract. But let’s give it some time…

Yankees suck.

• uyf1950 - Jul 13, 2011 at 9:08 AM

To baseballis boring – Were you able to look into your crystal ball to see the future. As you can obviously tell I am neither a Cardinals or Sox fan so I have no horse in this race. But even you should be able to tell that Holliday is a much better value than Crawford. Holliday is a career .318 batter a career 100 plus RBI man per season, with a career .390 OBP and .935 OPS. All numbers that dwarf Crawford’s and at $22M less over the course of life of the contract.
        As for your last comment what you say says more about you than the Yankees.

• baseballisboring - Jul 13, 2011 at 3:54 PM

You’re forgetting his defense and baserunning, which much of his value is tied up in. The extra $22 million isn’t my money…nor is it gonna keep the Sox from really doing anything else, so I don’t care.

4. rexryanisablowhard - Jul 12, 2011 at 6:22 PM

Who cares?? I know it’s a slow news day and all, but this means zippo, try reporting something newsworthy.

5. toosoxy - Jul 12, 2011 at 6:29 PM

i wish we could have given lackey and cameron for holliday… you know… back when they both had value. :)

6. pisano - Jul 13, 2011 at 12:42 AM

Boston played it smart they got Carl ( the choke ) Crawford instead. The old saying still holds true, hind sight is 20/20.

Cubs shore up rotation with Jon Lester