Jul 12, 2011, 6:03 PM EDT
As it turned out, they did neither. With both Bay and Holliday still waiting around for bigger offers to come in, the Red Sox spent $82.5 million to sign John Lackey and then chose Mike Cameron to round out their outfield. A year later, they signed Carl Crawford to a $142 million deal to take over as their long-term left fielder.
The Red Sox did offer Holliday $85 million for five years, though. And he was interested in playing in Boston.
“I liked playing there in the (2007) World Series,” he told the Boston Herald. “They were a team I was interested in. I knew some people in the organization and they were obviously very competitive, with a chance to win the World Series every year. They had everything I was looking for. And so did St. Louis – but I was definitely considering Boston if they had stayed in it.”
Of course, Holliday eventually re-signed with the Cardinals for $120 million over seven years, and he seems to have no regrets.
- Sandy Alderson is not going to “roll over” for Scott Boras and shut down Matt Harvey 64
- Dodgers are already fed up with 6.56 ERA-pitching, excuse-making Mat Latos 50
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 58
- Bryce Harper walks in all four of his plate appearances, scores four runs 24
- ESPN pulls Curt Schilling off broadcasts for rest of regular season and Wild Card game 146
- David Ortiz is more likely to be boned in Hall of Fame voting for being a DH than for PED stuff 145
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 74
- The Marlins are going to change everything except their biggest problem this offseason 53
- ESPN pulls Curt Schilling off broadcasts for rest of regular season and Wild Card game (146)
- David Ortiz is more likely to be boned in Hall of Fame voting for being a DH than for PED stuff (145)
- Matt Williams puts up another strong performance in his quest to get himself fired (107)
- David Ortiz tweets his happiness about the Deflategate decision (101)
- Why Mike Mussina keeps getting hosed in the Hall of Fame voting (90)