Jul 12, 2011, 10:15 AM EST
Yesterday when Phil Rogers of the Chicago Tribune reported that the Red Sox were interested in Cubs right-hander Matt Garza, Calcaterra noted that it’s been a while since any rumors in Rogers’ weekly column “actually happened.”
And now 24 hours later Sean McAdam of CSNNE.com talked to “a baseball source familiar with the Cubs’ thinking” who said there’s “nothing” to the Garza rumor.
That doesn’t mean Garza isn’t “high on the list” of starters being targeted by the Red Sox, like Rogers reported, but either McAdam’s source doesn’t know about their interest or the extent of that interest has been overstated.
We’re still three weeks from the July 31 trade deadline, which means you can expect plenty more conflicting reports about teams’ interest in various players. Our goal here is to sift through everything and pass along the rumors and speculation that seems worthwhile, which sometimes means this type of he said/he said stuff.
- Orioles acquire outfielder Travis Snider from Pirates 23
- Not so fast on the Bud Selig Hall of Fame talk 50
- Blue Jays sign president and CEO Paul Beeston to extension through 2015 26
- Reds sign four-year contract extension with Devin Mesoraco 11
- The Yankees are going to try to get out of paying A-Rod his contract incentives 82
- How Commissioner Rob Manfred Can Make Baseball More Appealing 60
- Blue Jays cut off talks for Orioles executive Dan Duquette 48
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts 118
- Bud Selig: The Greatest Commissioner in the History of Baseball (146)
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts (118)
- Why “Deflategate” would never happen in baseball (93)
- The Yankees are going to try to get out of paying A-Rod his contract incentives (82)
- Comments of the Day: some of you guys aren’t big Bud Selig fans (77)