Jul 12, 2011, 10:15 AM EDT
Yesterday when Phil Rogers of the Chicago Tribune reported that the Red Sox were interested in Cubs right-hander Matt Garza, Calcaterra noted that it’s been a while since any rumors in Rogers’ weekly column “actually happened.”
And now 24 hours later Sean McAdam of CSNNE.com talked to “a baseball source familiar with the Cubs’ thinking” who said there’s “nothing” to the Garza rumor.
That doesn’t mean Garza isn’t “high on the list” of starters being targeted by the Red Sox, like Rogers reported, but either McAdam’s source doesn’t know about their interest or the extent of that interest has been overstated.
We’re still three weeks from the July 31 trade deadline, which means you can expect plenty more conflicting reports about teams’ interest in various players. Our goal here is to sift through everything and pass along the rumors and speculation that seems worthwhile, which sometimes means this type of he said/he said stuff.
- Paul Konerko, Jimmy Rollins named co-winners of the Roberto Clemente Award 0
- The greatest trick this Royals bullpen ever pulled … 1
- Adam Wainwright underwent elbow surgery to “trim” cartilage 9
- World Series, Game 3: Royals vs. Giants lineups 1
- Andrew Friedman got $35 million to leave the Rays for the Dodgers … and he might be underpaid 13
- Shocker! Joe Maddon to opt out of his contract and leave the Rays 139
- World Series Reset: On to AT&T Park 14
- The World Series ratings are low. So what? 101
- Shocker! Joe Maddon to opt out of his contract and leave the Rays (139)
- So, if you’re not a fan of the Royals or Giants, who ya got? (129)
- Erroneous Narrative Alert: no, the Giants are not a “gritty,” anti-stats organization (122)
- Pedro Martinez has some opinions about who the new “face of baseball” is (112)
- PANTY RAID! Homeland Security agents confiscate unlicensed Kansas City Royals underwear (109)