Jul 12, 2011, 10:15 AM EST
Yesterday when Phil Rogers of the Chicago Tribune reported that the Red Sox were interested in Cubs right-hander Matt Garza, Calcaterra noted that it’s been a while since any rumors in Rogers’ weekly column “actually happened.”
And now 24 hours later Sean McAdam of CSNNE.com talked to “a baseball source familiar with the Cubs’ thinking” who said there’s “nothing” to the Garza rumor.
That doesn’t mean Garza isn’t “high on the list” of starters being targeted by the Red Sox, like Rogers reported, but either McAdam’s source doesn’t know about their interest or the extent of that interest has been overstated.
We’re still three weeks from the July 31 trade deadline, which means you can expect plenty more conflicting reports about teams’ interest in various players. Our goal here is to sift through everything and pass along the rumors and speculation that seems worthwhile, which sometimes means this type of he said/he said stuff.
- Yasmany Tomas signs a six-year, $68.5 million deal with the Diamondbacks 77
- No, the Red Sox signing Pablo and Hanley is not proof that baseball needs a salary cap 160
- Red Sox announce four-year, $88 million deal with Hanley Ramirez, DFA Juan Francisco 34
- The Cubs have offered Jon Lester “north of $135 million” 68
- Pablo Sandoval’s deal: five years, $98 million plus an option 43
- Kyle Seager, Mariners close to $100 million extension 26
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot 286
- So what would the Red Sox look like with Hanley Ramirez and Pablo Sandoval? 49
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot (286)
- No, the Red Sox signing Pablo and Hanley is not proof that baseball needs a salary cap (160)
- More Hall of Fame ballots like Adam Rubin’s please (138)
- Report: Pablo Sandoval chose the Red Sox over the Giants because he felt disrespected (135)
- UPDATE: The Pablo Sandoval-Red Sox deal is done, pending a physical (133)