Jul 12, 2011, 1:18 PM EDT
Ken Rosenthal of FOXSports.com reports that the Reds “have Ubaldo Jimenez on their radar” but also says “the Rockies will not trade Jimenez unless it is a perfect fit” and “the Reds are not certain buyers.”
In other words … who knows.
Rosenthal notes that the Reds, at 45-47 and four games back in the NL Central, aren’t sure yet whether they’ll be buying or selling come July 31. If they sell, veterans like Francisco Cordero and Ramon Hernandez will be shopped.
If they buy, then a potential top-of-the-rotation starter like Jimenez certainly would make sense and they could try to entice the Rockies by packaging a young starter like Homer Bailey or Mike Leake with first base prospect Yonder Alonso. Of course, if Colorado starts to actively shop Jimenez then Cincinnati will hardly be the only team interested.
Jimenez’s overall numbers aren’t pretty, but he’s pitched much better of late, was fantastic last season while throwing 222 innings with a 2.88 ERA, and is a 27-year-old under team control via reasonable salaries through 2014. Colorado should be asking a ton for him.
- The Nationals extend their winning streak to 10 games with another walk-off victory 7
- Garrett Richards out 6-9 months with torn patellar tendon 11
- A pitch clock in Major League Baseball? No thanks. 88
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 81
- Garrett Richards suffers ugly left knee injury 28
- Giants win protest, will complete rain-halted game at Wrigley Field on Thursday afternoon 46
- Royals might actually know what they are doing 33
- Curt Schilling reveals that he was diagnosed with mouth cancer, blames smokeless tobacco 72
- Mike Matheny addresses turmoil in Ferguson: “It’s a sad situation. It’s a tough situation for our city” (127)
- A pitch clock in Major League Baseball? No thanks. (92)
- Here’s today’s dose of barfy Derek Jeter sentiment (82)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (81)
- Let’s speed up the pace of play. But let’s not be gimmicky about it. Let’s just enforce the rules. (74)