Jul 12, 2011, 1:18 PM EDT
Ken Rosenthal of FOXSports.com reports that the Reds “have Ubaldo Jimenez on their radar” but also says “the Rockies will not trade Jimenez unless it is a perfect fit” and “the Reds are not certain buyers.”
In other words … who knows.
Rosenthal notes that the Reds, at 45-47 and four games back in the NL Central, aren’t sure yet whether they’ll be buying or selling come July 31. If they sell, veterans like Francisco Cordero and Ramon Hernandez will be shopped.
If they buy, then a potential top-of-the-rotation starter like Jimenez certainly would make sense and they could try to entice the Rockies by packaging a young starter like Homer Bailey or Mike Leake with first base prospect Yonder Alonso. Of course, if Colorado starts to actively shop Jimenez then Cincinnati will hardly be the only team interested.
Jimenez’s overall numbers aren’t pretty, but he’s pitched much better of late, was fantastic last season while throwing 222 innings with a 2.88 ERA, and is a 27-year-old under team control via reasonable salaries through 2014. Colorado should be asking a ton for him.
- Frank Wren fired as Braves GM, John Hart to take over on an interim basis 41
- AND DOWN THE STRETCH THEY COME! Sizing up the final week of the regular season 36
- Must-Click Link: Derek Jeter opens up. Seriously, he really does. 44
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 58
- Must-click link: Tommy Harper and the Red Sox’ racist past 56
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 34
- Matt Garza ejected after hitting Andrew McCutchen a second time 34
- Tigers hang on for second straight win against Royals 8
- Geddy Lee’s baseball obsession makes it really hard for me to hate Rush (123)
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned (107)
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife (103)
- Giants CEO Larry Baer thinks advertisements on uniforms are coming soon (87)
- Umpire ejects jackwagon fan heckling Bryce Harper in Atlanta last night (85)