Jul 12, 2011, 1:18 PM EDT
Ken Rosenthal of FOXSports.com reports that the Reds “have Ubaldo Jimenez on their radar” but also says “the Rockies will not trade Jimenez unless it is a perfect fit” and “the Reds are not certain buyers.”
In other words … who knows.
Rosenthal notes that the Reds, at 45-47 and four games back in the NL Central, aren’t sure yet whether they’ll be buying or selling come July 31. If they sell, veterans like Francisco Cordero and Ramon Hernandez will be shopped.
If they buy, then a potential top-of-the-rotation starter like Jimenez certainly would make sense and they could try to entice the Rockies by packaging a young starter like Homer Bailey or Mike Leake with first base prospect Yonder Alonso. Of course, if Colorado starts to actively shop Jimenez then Cincinnati will hardly be the only team interested.
Jimenez’s overall numbers aren’t pretty, but he’s pitched much better of late, was fantastic last season while throwing 222 innings with a 2.88 ERA, and is a 27-year-old under team control via reasonable salaries through 2014. Colorado should be asking a ton for him.
- 2015 Preview: Toronto Blue Jays 13
- Mariners prospect Victor Sanchez has died 24
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 15
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? 87
- 2015 Preview: Atlanta Braves 15
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” 118
- 2015 Preview: Chicago Cubs 14
- Unsigned 2014 No. 1 overall pick Brady Aiken undergoes Tommy John surgery 61
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (122)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (118)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (89)
- Mo’ne Davis says college ballplayer who wrote an offensive tweet about her deserves a second chance (88)
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? (87)