Shannon Stone’s wife issues statement of thanks

Jul 12, 2011, 7:09 PM EDT

Jenny Stone AP

Jenny Stone, the wife of firefighter Shannon Stone, issued a statement of thanks Tuesday in the Brownwood Bulletin, showing appreciation for all of those, including the Rangers, who have helped in a time of need.

It reads:

Monday we said goodbye to a wonderful man. Shannon was truly a great husband, father, son, brother, uncle, firefighter, and friend. While we have been overwhelmed with sadness by his death, we have also been overwhelmed by the outpouring of support and sympathy that we have received, from complete strangers as far away as New Zealand, to the former president of the United States of America, to our closest friends and family. While we will never forget that horrible night, we also will never forget the gentleman from Hawley, Texas, who protected Cooper that evening and came to pay his respects on Sunday. We will never forget the new friend Shannon, Cooper and I had just made on our recent camping trip to Destin, Florida, who traveled from Louisiana to pay his respects. We will never forget all the firefighters and policemen and women and hospital staff who were there that night. We are incredibly thankful for the outpouring of love from Shannon’s brother firefighters, the City of Brownwood, First United Methodist Church, Texas Motor Speedway, firefighters from all over Texas, and from everyone in our community who brought food, stopped by, stood on the roadside and blessed us with prayers. And, of course, we have been supported and held up by our family and friends, who have stayed by our side for the last four days. Thank you is not enough, but we are truly thankful.

We are also thankful for Nolan Ryan, Josh Hamilton, the Texas Rangers, the Rangers fans, and all baseball fans, which have showed such concern and compassion. While I was certainly surprised to hear Nolan Ryan on my phone on Friday morning, I was not surprised that he would act just like we all see him, as a true Texas gentleman. Josh Hamilton remains Cooper’s favorite baseball player, the Texas Rangers will always be our team, and baseball will always be our favorite game.

Again, we are so very thankful, appreciative, and overwhelmed by all of the support we have received. Shannon loved going to watch the Rangers and he loved Cooper. And, at the very end, he lived life to its fullest, doing something he loved.

1. newpairofsox - Jul 12, 2011 at 7:28 PM

A truly gracious note. Good thoughts and prayers to you and your family.

2. cur68 - Jul 12, 2011 at 7:53 PM

When I read the initial story I knew it could easily have been me. I’d have leaned over to catch a ball thrown to me by Josh Hamilton, too. Hell, I’d have tried to catch a ball thrown my way by Dykstra and I hate that guy. If my daughter were there and we had a chance at a ball, hell YES I’d try to get her one.

The poor man. No one deserves to have died trying to do something innocent for his kid. I spend way too much time dealing with senseless and random so I regard baseball as largely a meaningless, harmless pass time; its an escape from reality for me. So I am always quite struck when some real thing happens, both the positive and the negative.

I hope this family is going to be okay. I know, that if that had been me watching that happen to my father, I’d be inconsolable. Good luck to them all. They sound like nice people. Stuff like this shouldn’t happen to nice people.

• raysfan1 - Jul 12, 2011 at 9:13 PM

couldn’t have said it better.

3. Paul - Jul 12, 2011 at 9:20 PM

Man its dusty in here. Did someone let a cat in my house?

4. koufaxmitzvah - Jul 12, 2011 at 9:43 PM

Wow.

5. deathmonkey41 - Jul 13, 2011 at 7:05 AM

As I was buzzing through the headlines, I thought I read “Sharon Stone’s wife issues statement of thanks” and then saw the pic of two women holding hands. My first thought was- when did Sharon Stone come out of the closet and get married? Then I was wondering what the hell this piece was doing in a baseball blog. Then, I realized that I haven’t been to WaWa for my coffee yet and I’m apparently incapable of reading without that.

6. sparkycon - Jul 13, 2011 at 8:34 AM

what a classy family.

7. jabberwock3 - Jul 13, 2011 at 12:06 PM

What grace. How wonderful to see people who live life so fully, yet are able to be so humble in the aftermath of tragedy. This lady’s lack of anger and desire to blame is a lesson for all. May her and her family’s futures be filled with nothing but happiness.

Ace-killer Giants do it again