We’ll be live-blogging the All-Star Game

Jul 12, 2011, 3:40 PM EDT

rage computer

Because you can’t just watch a baseball game on TV — the very idea is insanity — you’re probably going to have a computer or a smart phone or something in front of you tonight during the festivities in Phoenix.  If so, tune it in to HardballTalk and rip off the dial,* because we’re going to be live-blogging the All-Star Game.

The pregame festivities will get going around 8ish, so be here then.  D.J. Short will be the master of ceremonies, but I’m sure a bunch of us will be chiming in the comments and stuff too.  Indeed, I’m going to make it my personal mission to see if I can’t get banned as a commenter from my own blog. Which would be pretty postmodern.

Anyway: see you at 8 for the All-Star Game live blog. Come for the snark, stay for the snark.

*I worked in radio when people still actually said that in a non-ironic manner. Radio in the 1980s was a very strange business.

1. Utley's Hair - Jul 12, 2011 at 3:46 PM

Snarky snark snark.

• paperlions - Jul 12, 2011 at 4:00 PM

Snarf snarf?

• heyblueyoustink - Jul 12, 2011 at 4:02 PM

2 points Liono

• halladaysbiceps - Jul 12, 2011 at 4:06 PM

Snarf was pretty annoying. He was supposed to bring some comic relief to the Thundercats, but failed. Sort of like Gilligan.

• Utley's Hair - Jul 12, 2011 at 4:09 PM

I liked Aphrodite from Tranzor Z. But I liked Voltron better.

• halladaysbiceps - Jul 12, 2011 at 4:11 PM

Aphrodite? Wasn’t she the robot with the missile breasts?

• Utley's Hair - Jul 12, 2011 at 4:13 PM

One and the same…

• halladaysbiceps - Jul 12, 2011 at 4:16 PM

Now that I remember Aphrodite, everytime she showed up to help Tranzor Z, she would get her butt kicked and Tranzor Z would wind up rescueing her. She was pretty much worthless.

Voltron “…and I’ll form the head.” – Red Lion.

• Utley's Hair - Jul 12, 2011 at 4:19 PM

She most certainly was not worthless. I was impressionable…she had those missiles….

• halladaysbiceps - Jul 12, 2011 at 4:21 PM

Well, she wasn’t worthless in that regard. Personally, at that young age, I was a Gilligan’s Island fan. Mary Anne, rather than Aphrodite, did it for me. I didn’t care for Ginger too much.

• siggy00 - Jul 13, 2011 at 2:52 AM

Hey Craig,

John Steigerwald’s latest:

First Snow, now Lopez.

This guy needs a kick in the teeth.

2. Utley's Hair - Jul 12, 2011 at 3:47 PM

Hey, DJ!!! Do it!! Ban your boss!!!!

• ThatGuy - Jul 12, 2011 at 3:56 PM

Is Craig really the “boss” or are they more like coworkers with different shifts?

• Craig Calcaterra - Jul 12, 2011 at 3:59 PM

I am not DJ’s boss. If I was, he’d be fired long before now for utterly failing to once get me lunch.

• bigxrob - Jul 12, 2011 at 3:59 PM

Is it like “Who’s the Boss” and DJ is Tony Danza?

• Utley's Hair - Jul 12, 2011 at 4:12 PM

Wait…what? If Craig’s not the boss…what of the minions? We most certainly can’t be minions to a committee—wait a minute…is HBT just another one of Bud Light’s committees?!?!?

• D.J. Short - Jul 12, 2011 at 4:13 PM

Ha. I’ll pick up something for you tomorrow. It might get a little cold by the time I get to your house.

• Utley's Hair - Jul 12, 2011 at 4:20 PM

DJ, I hear he likes corned beef and Miracle Whip….

• ThatGuy - Jul 12, 2011 at 4:32 PM

Maybe Craig is like the Darth Vader to his Boss’s Emperorness

• Utley's Hair - Jul 12, 2011 at 4:42 PM

Maybe Craig is Keyser Söze?

• halladaysbiceps - Jul 12, 2011 at 4:47 PM

“Is it like “Who’s the Boss” and DJ is Tony Danza?”

You know, I always wondered being a fly on the wall in the same room with Tony Danza, Sylvester Stallone and Arnold Schwarzenegger having a conversation. Would they understand each other?

• Craig Calcaterra - Jul 12, 2011 at 4:54 PM

Hmm, I have to pick between being Vader, Keyser Soze and Angela?

I think Vader is probably most apt. My bosses handle the running of the Empire, but I show up in my shuttle to set the tone and get the building of the battle station back on schedule.

• Utley's Hair - Jul 12, 2011 at 5:02 PM

You just don’t like Kevin Spacey.

But if it’s like “Who’s the Boss?,” who’s the annoying blond kid and who’s Stamanter*?

(*Spelled phonetically.)

• heyblueyoustink - Jul 12, 2011 at 4:00 PM

That’s not nice hair, then what would I do at work when i’m pretending to work.

• Utley's Hair - Jul 12, 2011 at 4:10 PM

DUDE!!!! Where ya been, stinky? Er…uh…blue?

• heyblueyoustink - Jul 12, 2011 at 4:19 PM

Stuck in a dimension that I call the ” Sigh, I forgot I was an Adult ” equation…..goes something like [ Uuber Busy ] Account Executive + Deepening relationship with the girlie = Enough time to read/ Not always enough time to participate………

Besides, I just wanted to make sure Bicepts had his rabies shots, I hear they can be transmitted via keyboard these days

• Utley's Hair - Jul 12, 2011 at 4:23 PM

Yup…I hear ya….

And Bicepts would be the first to tell you he’s not foaming at the mouth anymore, right, Halladay?

Quite a few of us have been taking time off from the board—including me, albeit unexpected and quite probably recurring, sadly.

Welcome back, though.

• halladaysbiceps - Jul 12, 2011 at 4:29 PM

Yeah, no longer foaming from the mouth. Taking 800mg of Thorzine daily. My ire is only still toward Darth Selig and no one else.

All the Thorzine in the world cannot cure me of anger towards Darth Selig.

• heyblueyoustink - Jul 12, 2011 at 4:36 PM

Good deal ……. i’ll put the tranq gun away in that case……

And for the record fellas, when it comes to big scary robots, it’s either some form of Gundam or the transformed Spaceballs spaceship with the vaccum attatchment

• Utley's Hair - Jul 12, 2011 at 4:39 PM

Aphrodite most certainly was not scary…titillating (preteen giggling may commence), maybe, but not scary.

• halladaysbiceps - Jul 12, 2011 at 4:43 PM

Actually, for me, the scariest robot was the one from the old TV series Lost in Space.

When he would say “Danger, Will Robinson! Danger, danger, danger!”, I thought he was yelling at me. I would hide under my bed.

3. bigxrob - Jul 12, 2011 at 3:56 PM

Maybe Mr. Bicepts can give Craig some pointer’s.

• halladaysbiceps - Jul 12, 2011 at 4:03 PM

Shhhhh! I can’t do that. That’s proprietary information.

4. b7p19 - Jul 12, 2011 at 4:00 PM

Great photo work getting Craigs head on that stick figures body. Looks pretty real.

5. Chris Ross - Jul 12, 2011 at 4:12 PM

I’m really excited to see a bunch of players at the all-star game tonight. That’s why I love the game and hope they don’t get rid of it. Even if it’s only for a couple of innings I want to see Roy Halladay pitch, guys like Robinson Cano, Jose Bautista and Prince Fielder bat. I just don’t think the pieced together rosters should determine home-field advantage. I think it’s still going to be a fun game no matter what happens and looking forward to seeing some world class ball.

• halladaysbiceps - Jul 12, 2011 at 4:19 PM

Chris, I don’t think you have to worry about them getting rid of the All-Star game. It’s a big cash cow for the sport. Agreed about the home-field advantage issue. It should be done away with, but Dart Selig will never do it as he will be perceived to be weak.

6. royalsfaninfargo - Jul 12, 2011 at 4:20 PM

After muting Berman after 5 minutes last night during the Home Run derby listening to Joe Buck will be a relief. Did I just say that? Wow, that is how bad Berman is he makes Joe Buck and Tim McCarver listenable!

• Mr. Jason "El Bravo" Heyward - Jul 12, 2011 at 4:25 PM

BACK BACK BACK BACK BACK BACK BACK BACK BACK BACK BACK BACK BACK BACK BACK BACK BACK BACK BACK BACK BACK BACK BACK BACK BACK BACK BACK BACK BACK BACK BACK BACK BACK BACK BACK BACK BACK BACK BACK BACK BACK BACK BACK BACK BACK BACK BACK BACK BACK BACK BACK BACK BACK BACK BACK BACK BACK BACK BACK BACK BACK BACK BACK BACK BACK BACK BACK BACK BACK BACK BACK BACK BACK BACK BACK BACK BACK BACK BACK BACK BACK BACK BACK BACK BACK BACK BACK BACK BACK BACK BACK BACK BACK BACK BACK BACK BACK BACK BACK BACK BACK BACK BACK BACK BACK BACK BACK BACK BACK BACK BACK BACK BACK BACK BACK BACK BACK BACK BACK BACK BACK BACK BACK BACK BACK BACK BACK BACK BACK BACK BACK BACK BACK BACK BACK BACK BACK BACK BACK BACK BACK BACK BACK BACK BACK BACK BACK BACK BACK BACK BACK BACK BACK BACK BACK BACK BACK BACK BACK BACK BACK BACK BACK BACK BACK BACK BACK BACK BACK BACK BACK BACK BACK BACK BACK BACK BACK BACK BACK BACK BACK BACK BACK BACK BACK BACK BACK BACK

• halladaysbiceps - Jul 12, 2011 at 4:31 PM

Chris Berman, the man who cannot shut up for 30 secs. in a homerun derby.

• Utley's Hair - Jul 12, 2011 at 4:38 PM

Hmmm…Berman=BACKBACKBACK, which sounds like the noise a chicken makes…a major chicken company is Perdue…!!!! Is Chris Berman actually purdueman?!?

• Mr. Jason "El Bravo" Heyward - Jul 12, 2011 at 4:39 PM

wow, awesome purdueman reference. well done, sir.

• Utley's Hair - Jul 12, 2011 at 4:40 PM

[In best Elvis impression]
        Thank you very much.

• Utley's Hair - Jul 12, 2011 at 4:27 PM

Imagine Berman as a lead in for Buck-Buck-Buck-Buck-Buck-Buck-Buck!!!!

Damn…commence the thumbs-downstorm—I’ll be at the wall slamming my head into it….

7. sdelmonte - Jul 12, 2011 at 4:58 PM

I have one of those retro computers with dials instead of keys. It’s very Star Trek.

8. yankeesfanlen - Jul 12, 2011 at 4:58 PM

I don’t think I’ll be able to attend. Too emotionally exhausted.

• Mr. Jason "El Bravo" Heyward - Jul 12, 2011 at 5:04 PM

ahahahahahahahhahahahaha

• royalsfaninfargo - Jul 12, 2011 at 5:09 PM

Leave Len alone!

• Mr. Jason "El Bravo" Heyward - Jul 12, 2011 at 5:50 PM

Len make funny. Me laugh.

• royalsfaninfargo - Jul 12, 2011 at 6:27 PM

I know El Bravo, I was refering to all those haters who dont believe Len deserves a break from cheering on a consistent winner and perennial playoff team! :-)

9. newunderscoreusername - Jul 12, 2011 at 5:28 PM

Hey Mr.
    Calcaterra,

What is the deal with Wily Mo Pena?
    TIme has not been kind to his career.
    Does he have a chance of being traded to the AL?
    The things is, being a DH is his best shot at success.
    Narwhal are smaller than this guy. Can we call him a HR hitter covered in
    Bacon?

Your thoughts on the Dbacks and Willy Mo making an AL
    Move?

10. Jonny 5 - Jul 12, 2011 at 6:19 PM

Slam dunk. Verbal Kint.

Who are the favorites for Rookie of the Year?
  1. J. Soler (3279)