Jul 13, 2011, 10:15 AM EST
Bengie Molina‘s name gets brought up every time a catcher is injured, as if a 36-year-old who was incredibly slow and out of shape to begin with hasn’t gotten older, slower, and heavier in the nine months since he last played an MLB game.
If he hasn’t signed yet he probably isn’t going to sign this season and if he isn’t going to sign this season … well, he’s probably retired.
Molina stopped short of agreeing with that sentiment yesterday, but did tell Jon Heyman of SI.com that he doesn’t expect to play in 2011.
Two months ago Molina expressed interest in re-signing with the Giants following Buster Posey‘s season-ending injury, but the interest apparently wasn’t mutual. San Francisco traded Molina to Texas in the middle of last season to clear the path for Posey to play every day and Molina went on to face the Giants in the World Series as the Rangers’ primary catcher, but he hit just .249 with a .297 on-base percentage and .326 slugging percentage in 118 games overall.
And now the title of “slowest player in baseball” is wide open.
- Yasmany Tomas signs a six-year, $68.5 million deal with the Diamondbacks 86
- No, the Red Sox signing Pablo and Hanley is not proof that baseball needs a salary cap 162
- Red Sox announce four-year, $88 million deal with Hanley Ramirez, DFA Juan Francisco 35
- The Cubs have offered Jon Lester “north of $135 million” 68
- Pablo Sandoval’s deal: five years, $98 million plus an option 43
- Kyle Seager, Mariners close to $100 million extension 26
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot 286
- So what would the Red Sox look like with Hanley Ramirez and Pablo Sandoval? 49
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot (286)
- No, the Red Sox signing Pablo and Hanley is not proof that baseball needs a salary cap (162)
- More Hall of Fame ballots like Adam Rubin’s please (140)
- Report: Pablo Sandoval chose the Red Sox over the Giants because he felt disrespected (138)
- UPDATE: The Pablo Sandoval-Red Sox deal is done, pending a physical (133)