Jul 13, 2011, 10:15 AM EST
Bengie Molina‘s name gets brought up every time a catcher is injured, as if a 36-year-old who was incredibly slow and out of shape to begin with hasn’t gotten older, slower, and heavier in the nine months since he last played an MLB game.
If he hasn’t signed yet he probably isn’t going to sign this season and if he isn’t going to sign this season … well, he’s probably retired.
Molina stopped short of agreeing with that sentiment yesterday, but did tell Jon Heyman of SI.com that he doesn’t expect to play in 2011.
Two months ago Molina expressed interest in re-signing with the Giants following Buster Posey‘s season-ending injury, but the interest apparently wasn’t mutual. San Francisco traded Molina to Texas in the middle of last season to clear the path for Posey to play every day and Molina went on to face the Giants in the World Series as the Rangers’ primary catcher, but he hit just .249 with a .297 on-base percentage and .326 slugging percentage in 118 games overall.
And now the title of “slowest player in baseball” is wide open.
- Hector Olivera’s camp denies any damage to ulnar collateral ligament 3
- UPDATE: Hunter Pence out 6-8 weeks with fracture in left forearm 21
- MLBPA: leaks are from people “who want to see Josh Hamilton hurt personally and professionally” 19
- Suspending Josh Hamilton for a year would be obscene 145
- Report: MLB panel split on rehab for Josh Hamilton; one-year suspension is in play 45
- Joc Pederson goes 2-for-2 in Cactus League debut 6
- Braves scratch Mike Minor from start with more shoulder problems 6
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” 373
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” (373)
- Suspending Josh Hamilton for a year would be obscene (145)
- Curt Schilling lowers the boom on some men tweeting threats against his daughter (137)
- That facts of Josh Hamilton’s case should not be a matter of public record (91)
- Billy Bean responds to Daniel Murphy’s comments (90)