Brian Wilson is starting Carlos Beltran-to-the-Giants trade rumors now

Jul 13, 2011, 7:03 AM EDT

beltran getty wide Getty Images

John Shea of the San Francisco Chronicle tweeted the following from the NL All-Stars’ clubhouse after the game last night following his interview with Giants’ closer Brian Wilson:

Wilson provided trade news: “I guess we’re in talks with them about Beltran. Just another perennial hitter. Could only help out a squad” … When I asked Wilson to clarify, he smiled as if he said too much: “I didn’t say that. I said I heard a rumor that someone’s interested.”

I guess I’d be less interested if we didn’t get confirmation a few minutes later that, yes, Mets’ GM Sandy Alderson was in fact working the phones.  For what it’s worth, Beltran has said that he would waive his no-trade clause to go to the Giants.

Who knows if it will go down, but let’s make sure of something here: if Beltran does get traded to the Giants, I think we need to credit Brian Wilson — not Olney, Rosenthal, Heyman or whoever — for first reporting it.

1. halladaysbiceps - Jul 13, 2011 at 8:39 AM

I know everyone likes Brian Wilson because he’s a character and everything, but sometimes this guy has a little too much to say. I heard him last night while doing the lineup for Fox that Carlos Beltran maybe will be a Giant soon. What’s the purpose of saying something like that? If he were a GM or owner, that would amount to tampering.

Then, on a separate occasion last night, he’s being interviewed by Eric Karros (who’s a terrible interviewer, btw). after closing the game. Wilson took a shot at Karros’ hair. Now, I know it didn’t look too good. But, come on, Brian. With that beard of your’s, do you really have room to talk, dishing out grooming advise?

• watermelon1 - Jul 13, 2011 at 8:45 AM

You fear the beard, and we all know it.

• halladaysbiceps - Jul 13, 2011 at 8:50 AM

Yeah, I fear it as much as having to listen to Joe Buck for 3 hr. last night.

• Alex K - Jul 13, 2011 at 8:50 AM

The big difference in the beard and Karros’ hair is Wilson knows his beard is ridiculous.

• foreverchipper10 - Jul 13, 2011 at 11:40 AM

He isn’t a GM or an owner. That is why he can say things like that.

2. captainwisdom8888 - Jul 13, 2011 at 8:52 AM

I could understand your argument had it been a player saying something grossly idiotic, but hearing what these players have to say is half the reason alot of us frequent these sites. The media forces some players to speak like politically-correct robots and we never get a chance to see who they really are…and then there’s guys like Brian Wilson who do a good job at keeping it loose and interesting.

It’s not a player’s job to “Just shut up and play” like so many of you wish to think…

3. bleedgreen - Jul 13, 2011 at 8:53 AM

Brian Wilson is a good pitcher, but he needs to knock off the bullshit schtick. The only people that are amused are people that already like you… its turning off the rest of the world and hurting your marketability.

• iamthedoublestandard - Jul 13, 2011 at 9:11 AM

Since u bleed green, you may not know that what how Wilson’s ‘schtick’ is no act at all. It’s not him being a ‘character.’ He can’t stop existing just because it displeases you. He’s not a conformist and he’s not an actor. He happens to be a popular sports figure that has, since he was a young boy, been at odds with how most people DO act. That doesn’t mean it’s bullshit. I don’t expect you to know that because you happen to no anything about him and the ‘rest if the world.’ oh and your ‘hurting marketability’ is idiotic at best. You think the Giants have him on every other commercial because he’s not different and doesn’t sell? Speaking as someone who’s not even close to being a Giants fan but lives in the Bay area, he sells just fine.

• spudchukar - Jul 13, 2011 at 2:07 PM

Another millionaire rebel?

4. sdelmonte - Jul 13, 2011 at 9:08 AM

Beltran for the beard, straight up.

(Craig, any chance of a retro-ATH tomorrow? I really liked those specials last year.)

5. Mr. Jason "El Bravo" Heyward - Jul 13, 2011 at 9:50 AM

BOOOOOO ALL OF THIS INCESSANT WHINING!

Beltran would be a great addition for the Giants. Wilson is a character, we all know that.

6. citynative - Jul 13, 2011 at 11:54 AM

I assume HalladaysBiceps is a Philly fan….dont know what BleedGreen is, but can you guys whine a little more? Honestly take a look at yourself and ask “Why am I whining on a blog about a guy who has a beard, who lobbied for another player?”

7. seeingwhatsticks - Jul 13, 2011 at 2:38 PM

HalladaysBiceps is still just bitter about this:

8. skerney - Jul 13, 2011 at 3:00 PM

Brian Wilson is Craig’s new Francoeur? A day can’t go by where giants and phitings’ fans don’t endlessly debate the beard.

This was 'the perfect baseball game'
  1. S. Kazmir (5536)