Jul 13, 2011, 7:03 AM EDT
Wilson provided trade news: “I guess we’re in talks with them about Beltran. Just another perennial hitter. Could only help out a squad” … When I asked Wilson to clarify, he smiled as if he said too much: “I didn’t say that. I said I heard a rumor that someone’s interested.”
I guess I’d be less interested if we didn’t get confirmation a few minutes later that, yes, Mets’ GM Sandy Alderson was in fact working the phones. For what it’s worth, Beltran has said that he would waive his no-trade clause to go to the Giants.
Who knows if it will go down, but let’s make sure of something here: if Beltran does get traded to the Giants, I think we need to credit Brian Wilson — not Olney, Rosenthal, Heyman or whoever — for first reporting it.
- Alex Rodriguez is the all-time AL RBI champion. Sorta. 60
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 73
- Cardinals GM John Mozeliak: Matt Adams out 3-4 months, possibly the year, with torn quad 56
- Bryce Harper leads in the first round of National League All-Star voting 29
- Buster Olney: The Marlins should hire A-Rod to be their next manager 51
- Breaking down the Braves-Dodgers trade 19
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 34
- So that Juan Uribe trade to the Braves is back on … 11