Jul 13, 2011, 7:03 AM EST
Wilson provided trade news: “I guess we’re in talks with them about Beltran. Just another perennial hitter. Could only help out a squad” … When I asked Wilson to clarify, he smiled as if he said too much: “I didn’t say that. I said I heard a rumor that someone’s interested.”
I guess I’d be less interested if we didn’t get confirmation a few minutes later that, yes, Mets’ GM Sandy Alderson was in fact working the phones. For what it’s worth, Beltran has said that he would waive his no-trade clause to go to the Giants.
Who knows if it will go down, but let’s make sure of something here: if Beltran does get traded to the Giants, I think we need to credit Brian Wilson — not Olney, Rosenthal, Heyman or whoever — for first reporting it.
- Report: Two agents rumbled in the parking lot at the Winter Meetings 20
- Mets sign 40-year-old Bartolo Colon for two years, $20 million 38
- MLB rules committee decides to eliminate collisions at home plate 45
- Mariners sign Corey Hart to incentive-laden deal 27
- David Price would not consider an extension with the Mariners if he’s traded there 35
- Robinson Cano agrees to $240 million deal with Mariners (260)
- Report: Mariners willing to offer Robinson Cano a 10-year, $240 million deal (143)
- Report: Yankees have agreed to a three-year deal with Carlos Beltran (125)
- Brett Gardner is drawing “significant” trade interest (113)
- Managers, GMs to meet today to discuss the abolition of home plate collisions (113)