Jul 13, 2011, 7:03 AM EDT
Wilson provided trade news: “I guess we’re in talks with them about Beltran. Just another perennial hitter. Could only help out a squad” … When I asked Wilson to clarify, he smiled as if he said too much: “I didn’t say that. I said I heard a rumor that someone’s interested.”
I guess I’d be less interested if we didn’t get confirmation a few minutes later that, yes, Mets’ GM Sandy Alderson was in fact working the phones. For what it’s worth, Beltran has said that he would waive his no-trade clause to go to the Giants.
Who knows if it will go down, but let’s make sure of something here: if Beltran does get traded to the Giants, I think we need to credit Brian Wilson — not Olney, Rosenthal, Heyman or whoever — for first reporting it.
- Benches clear in Pittsburgh after the Brewers’ Carlos Gomez bat flips a third-inning triple 76
- Yankees activate Mark Teixeira from the disabled list 0
- Ivan Nova diagnosed with a partially torn ulnar collateral ligament in his right elbow 23
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 34
- Bryce Harper pulled from Saturday’s game for not hustling 93
- Hank Aaron is getting vile racist hate mail in retaliation for pointing out that racism still exists (248)
- “They Don’t Know Henry” (167)
- Doug Glanville’s story about being racially profiled at his own home (127)
- There is still a racial divide in baseball (112)
- Must-Click Link: Yasiel Puig’s harrowing journey to the United States (99)