Christian Lopez’s latest haul: a World Series ring

Jul 13, 2011, 5:00 PM EST

Tampa Bay Rays v New York Yankees Getty Images

I’m struck by the notion that this kid should only get 15 minutes of fame. I’m also struck by the notion that I’ve probably written more about him than anyone, so if he’s overstaying his welcome in the public eye, it’s more my fault than his.  Eh, I can live with that. I’ve grown fond of the fella. I don’t know why. I kind of want to give him a hug.

Anyway: the latest haul in his post-Jeter odyssey: a World Series ring from 2009.  No, it wasn’t Jeter’s. Or even Jose Molina‘s. It was from Mitchell Modell, CEO of Modell’s Sporting Goods, who got the ring because Modell’s sponsors the Yankees.  I’m assuming there are no tax implications here, seeing as though this has to be a gift.

In other news, you get a World Series ring for sponsoring the team that won the World Series.

1. halladaysbiceps - Jul 13, 2011 at 5:04 PM

Good for Mr. Lopez. Hopefully, if he decides to sell the ring, he won’t take it to the guys of Pawn Stars. I hear that Rick Harrison is a crude negotiator and likes to buy things on the cheap.

• nategearhart - Jul 13, 2011 at 10:43 PM

“I got a good buddy who’s a Yankees World Series ring expert, he lives here in Vegas. Lemme call him.”

2. marshmallowsnake - Jul 13, 2011 at 5:07 PM

I can see why the sponsor gave it to him…that is a pretty ugly ring:

Now, if they made the box around the NY a different stone, it might be better.

3. phukyouk - Jul 13, 2011 at 5:08 PM

now he can sell the ring to pay the tax which he got from the ball which hit the dog which bit the cat which ate the goat which my father bought for two zuzim.. or something like that.

4. mlp3180 - Jul 13, 2011 at 5:36 PM

“so if he’s overstaying his welcome in the public eye, it’s more my fault than his”

If the public eye is NBC Blogs, fine – otherwise, you’re really overstating your relevance.

• Utley's Hair - Jul 13, 2011 at 5:48 PM

Um…not really, because Craig is saying that he is more at fault than Lopez—not the only reason.

• aclassyguyfromaclassytown - Jul 13, 2011 at 7:21 PM

I wouldn’t belittle Craig like that. I’ve got a poster of him on my wall, right next to a fathead of Chris berman and a collage of Harry K. I take that that all back, mentioning Berman kinda slight’s Craig, and no offense, but mentioning Berman and Craig slights Harry K. He left mighty big shoes to fill. Just ask Tom McCarthy.

5. foreverchipper10 - Jul 13, 2011 at 5:50 PM

I WANT A WORLD SERIES RING FOR CATCHING A BASEBALL AHAOEAHRNFO;ANHFO3B4O

6. sabathiawouldbegoodattheeighthtoo - Jul 13, 2011 at 6:08 PM

Great, more incentive for drunken fans to dive for balls in the stands…since that has been working out so well lately.

7. stoankold - Jul 13, 2011 at 6:33 PM

Am I the only one thinking that he is now a robbery target?

8. shaggylocks - Jul 13, 2011 at 6:39 PM

Don’t you also get a World Series ring for being the mayor of NYC? Oh, actually, Rudy somehow bought those…

• shaggylocks - Jul 14, 2011 at 7:46 PM

6 thumbs down? That was a simple statement of fact!

9. aclassyguyfromaclassytown - Jul 13, 2011 at 7:15 PM

Can I sponser the Phillies on the cheap? I’m talking REALLY cheap.

10. clydeserra - Jul 13, 2011 at 8:45 PM

With all the attention and stuff this guy is getting, he may just set himself up just as well as if he kept and sold the ball

11. Jonny 5 - Jul 13, 2011 at 8:59 PM

That’s pretty cool. Good for him. Minka still owes him a lap dance though..

12. bigleagues - Jul 13, 2011 at 10:08 PM

I like the guy because like a true fan, he just wanted a Yankees legend have the ball he caught- realizing he just happened to be lucky enough to be in the right place at the right time. It was about being in utter awe that he was suddenly a small part of Yankees folklore. That’s something to be admired.

That said, Craigers – just an FYI – almost ANYONE associated with the Yankees in any official capacity whether it be as a sponsor or as a Minor League affiliate owner can pony up their own bucks and get a World Series ring – though it’s typically not as nice as the ones the players got.

Cubs shore up rotation with Jon Lester