Jul 13, 2011, 5:00 PM EDT
I’m struck by the notion that this kid should only get 15 minutes of fame. I’m also struck by the notion that I’ve probably written more about him than anyone, so if he’s overstaying his welcome in the public eye, it’s more my fault than his. Eh, I can live with that. I’ve grown fond of the fella. I don’t know why. I kind of want to give him a hug.
Anyway: the latest haul in his post-Jeter odyssey: a World Series ring from 2009. No, it wasn’t Jeter’s. Or even Jose Molina‘s. It was from Mitchell Modell, CEO of Modell’s Sporting Goods, who got the ring because Modell’s sponsors the Yankees. I’m assuming there are no tax implications here, seeing as though this has to be a gift.
In other news, you get a World Series ring for sponsoring the team that won the World Series.
- Alex Rodriguez hits 659th career home run, now one shy of tying Willie Mays 15
- Pitchers batting is dumb and the DH should be universal 238
- Max Scherzer doubtful for next start due to thumb injury 3
- Protesters converge on Oriole Park at Camden Yards 141
- It sure sounds like Adam Wainwright suffered a torn Achilles tendon on Saturday night 40
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 33
- Report: Rangers will pay Josh Hamilton less than $7 million; deal includes opt-out after two years 98
- Suspensions announced for Thursday’s brawl between the White Sox and Royals 78
- Pitchers batting is dumb and the DH should be universal (247)
- The early leaders in MLB’s “Franchise Four” thing have been announced (166)
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected (156)
- Protesters converge on Oriole Park at Camden Yards (149)
- Kelvin Herrera gets a five-game suspension; Yordano Ventura fined (133)