Jul 13, 2011, 5:00 PM EDT
I’m struck by the notion that this kid should only get 15 minutes of fame. I’m also struck by the notion that I’ve probably written more about him than anyone, so if he’s overstaying his welcome in the public eye, it’s more my fault than his. Eh, I can live with that. I’ve grown fond of the fella. I don’t know why. I kind of want to give him a hug.
Anyway: the latest haul in his post-Jeter odyssey: a World Series ring from 2009. No, it wasn’t Jeter’s. Or even Jose Molina‘s. It was from Mitchell Modell, CEO of Modell’s Sporting Goods, who got the ring because Modell’s sponsors the Yankees. I’m assuming there are no tax implications here, seeing as though this has to be a gift.
In other news, you get a World Series ring for sponsoring the team that won the World Series.
- Boston Marathon heroes remembered with pregame ceremony at Fenway Park 3
- Benches clear in Pittsburgh after the Brewers’ Carlos Gomez bat flips a third-inning triple 136
- Yankees activate Mark Teixeira from the disabled list 4
- Ivan Nova diagnosed with a partially torn ulnar collateral ligament in his right elbow 30
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 35
- Hank Aaron is getting vile racist hate mail in retaliation for pointing out that racism still exists (248)
- “They Don’t Know Henry” (167)
- Benches clear in Pittsburgh after the Brewers’ Carlos Gomez bat flips a third-inning triple (135)
- Doug Glanville’s story about being racially profiled at his own home (127)
- There is still a racial divide in baseball (112)