Jul 13, 2011, 1:50 PM EDT
There’s no word yet on where Span will be rehabbing or how long the stint is expected to last, but given the struggles Justin Morneau had coming back from his concussion last season the Twins are sure to play it very safe with Span’s timetable.
In his absence Ben Revere has taken over as the everyday center fielder, but his standout defense has come with a modest .310 on-base percentage and .309 slugging percentage in 50 games.
Span was Minnesota’s best player prior to the concussion, but it’ll be interesting to see if the Twins keep Revere around alongside him in the outfield and, if that happens, which of them plays center field. Jason Kubel is also on the DL, but if at some point all of the Twins’ outfielders are healthy it’ll be a logjam that also includes Delmon Young and Michael Cuddyer, plus Jim Thome at designated hitter.
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 0
- Report: Angels, Rangers agree on Josh Hamilton trade 55
- Must-Click Link: Alex Rodriguzez: the slugger with a thousand faces 17
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 114
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected 155
- Bartolo Colon picks off a baserunner. By running him down all by himself. 54
- Pete Rose will be allowed to participate in All-Star Game festivities 69
- Career over? Joe Nathan needs Tommy John surgery 31
- The early leaders in MLB’s “Franchise Four” thing have been announced (166)
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected (155)
- Kelvin Herrera gets a five-game suspension; Yordano Ventura fined (133)
- Jose Bautista and the Orioles exchanged some words last night (117)
- Joe Buck has a truly awful suggestion about how to improve MLB broadcasts (115)