Jul 13, 2011, 1:50 PM EDT
There’s no word yet on where Span will be rehabbing or how long the stint is expected to last, but given the struggles Justin Morneau had coming back from his concussion last season the Twins are sure to play it very safe with Span’s timetable.
In his absence Ben Revere has taken over as the everyday center fielder, but his standout defense has come with a modest .310 on-base percentage and .309 slugging percentage in 50 games.
Span was Minnesota’s best player prior to the concussion, but it’ll be interesting to see if the Twins keep Revere around alongside him in the outfield and, if that happens, which of them plays center field. Jason Kubel is also on the DL, but if at some point all of the Twins’ outfielders are healthy it’ll be a logjam that also includes Delmon Young and Michael Cuddyer, plus Jim Thome at designated hitter.
- Albert Pujols was insulted when someone asked him if he can put up Mike Trout numbers (103)
- Manny Machado calls $519K salary for 2014 “disappointing” (88)
- Is Barry Bonds really getting a “fair hearing?” (88)
- Ryan Braun calls himself an “artist,” doesn’t care what fans on the road will shout at him (80)
- Giants players love having Barry Bonds at spring training (77)