Jul 13, 2011, 3:30 PM EDT
A story in the Chicago Sun-Times a couple of days ago — just coming to my attention via a fun thread over at Baseball Think Factory — is seven shades of awesome. I’ll let you read it for yourself, but the critical components are as follows:
- Former Blue Jays manager Tim Johnson quitting before a game and having half of his roster quit with him;
- Pitchers playing as position players;
- Position players pitching;
- One of those position players being 47-year-old Jose Canseco;
- Kevin Costner: cheapskate?
- Everyone being released or traded the next day and, presumably, Bugs Bunny or an elephant or something covering the rest of the season’s games.
Make sure you go over to the BTF thread too, as the sharpshooters over there offer lots of good random information about players in the story and the independent leagues in general.
And Dodgers fans: this probably puts your team’s financial difficulties into a more comfy perspective.
- The Cubs assign Kris Bryant and Addison Russell to the minors, option Javier Baez as well 69
- 2015 Preview: Arizona Diamondbacks 8
- 2015 Preview: Toronto Blue Jays 69
- Mariners prospect Victor Sanchez has died 26
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 15
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? 88
- 2015 Preview: Atlanta Braves 15
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” 118
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (122)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (118)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (89)
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? (88)
- The MLBPA releases a statement on Kris Bryant, mentions possible litigation (87)