Jul 13, 2011, 3:30 PM EDT
A story in the Chicago Sun-Times a couple of days ago — just coming to my attention via a fun thread over at Baseball Think Factory — is seven shades of awesome. I’ll let you read it for yourself, but the critical components are as follows:
- Former Blue Jays manager Tim Johnson quitting before a game and having half of his roster quit with him;
- Pitchers playing as position players;
- Position players pitching;
- One of those position players being 47-year-old Jose Canseco;
- Kevin Costner: cheapskate?
- Everyone being released or traded the next day and, presumably, Bugs Bunny or an elephant or something covering the rest of the season’s games.
Make sure you go over to the BTF thread too, as the sharpshooters over there offer lots of good random information about players in the story and the independent leagues in general.
And Dodgers fans: this probably puts your team’s financial difficulties into a more comfy perspective.
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 13
- Cardinals GM John Mozeliak: Matt Adams out 3-4 months, possibly the year, with torn quad 37
- Bryce Harper leads in the first round of National League All-Star voting 28
- Buster Olney: The Marlins should hire A-Rod to be their next manager 46
- Breaking down the Braves-Dodgers trade 19
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 34
- So that Juan Uribe trade to the Braves is back on … 11
- Ruben Amaro apologizes for comments about fans, admits he may have been late on rebuild 24
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (133)
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights (96)
- Ichiro Suzuki passes Babe Ruth on the all-time hits list (76)
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights (71)
- Ruben Amaro dismisses fans who “bitch and complain” about the Phillies’ moves (71)