Jul 13, 2011, 10:30 AM EDT
This was actually first reported by KTRS 550 AM in St. Louis six days ago, but at the time neither the Cardinals nor Garcia confirmed it. Jon Heyman reports today, however, that the deal is, in fact, done, and that an official announcement could come as early as this afternoon.
Heyman’s report is just what KTRS said it was: four years, $27.5 million plus club options for 2016 and 2017. Garcia is still pre-arbitration, so anything ending in “million” right now is a nice deal for him. For the Cardinals, this buys out the arbitration years and a couple years of free agency.
- Cardinals GM John Mozeliak: Matt Adams out 3-4 months, possibly the year, with torn quad 1
- Bryce Harper leads in the first round of National League All-Star voting 26
- Buster Olney: The Marlins should hire A-Rod to be their next manager 43
- Breaking down the Braves-Dodgers trade 16
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 34
- So that Juan Uribe trade to the Braves is back on … 11
- Ruben Amaro apologizes for comments about fans, admits he may have been late on rebuild 24
- Jonathan Lucroy expected to rejoin the Brewers on Monday 0
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (133)
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights (96)
- Ichiro Suzuki passes Babe Ruth on the all-time hits list (76)
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights (71)
- Ruben Amaro dismisses fans who “bitch and complain” about the Phillies’ moves (71)