Jul 13, 2011, 10:30 AM EDT
This was actually first reported by KTRS 550 AM in St. Louis six days ago, but at the time neither the Cardinals nor Garcia confirmed it. Jon Heyman reports today, however, that the deal is, in fact, done, and that an official announcement could come as early as this afternoon.
Heyman’s report is just what KTRS said it was: four years, $27.5 million plus club options for 2016 and 2017. Garcia is still pre-arbitration, so anything ending in “million” right now is a nice deal for him. For the Cardinals, this buys out the arbitration years and a couple years of free agency.
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 5
- Alex Gordon and the M-V-P chants 26
- Could women play major league baseball? Sure. Right now, though, the deck is stacked against them. 206
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 63
- David Price surrenders nine consecutive hits to the Yankees in the worst start of his career 29
- Video: Jorge Soler homers in his first major league at-bat 30
- Adam Wainwright has a “dead arm” 40
- HBT Daily: Alex Gordon and the Royals keep on rolling 12
- The Cubs grounds crew was short staffed because the Cubs were trying to avoid Obamacare (247)
- Could women play major league baseball? Sure. Right now, though, the deck is stacked against them. (208)
- Forgiveness for Pete Rose? Not in this lifetime (145)
- Albert Pujols plays the “you never played the game!” card (102)
- Great Moments in Drug Testing and Punishment: The NFL Edition (101)