Jul 13, 2011, 10:30 AM EDT
This was actually first reported by KTRS 550 AM in St. Louis six days ago, but at the time neither the Cardinals nor Garcia confirmed it. Jon Heyman reports today, however, that the deal is, in fact, done, and that an official announcement could come as early as this afternoon.
Heyman’s report is just what KTRS said it was: four years, $27.5 million plus club options for 2016 and 2017. Garcia is still pre-arbitration, so anything ending in “million” right now is a nice deal for him. For the Cardinals, this buys out the arbitration years and a couple years of free agency.
- Jose Reyes is on track to be activated Friday 3
- Dustin Pedroia given cortisone injection for sore left wrist, aiming to return Wednesday 1
- Hank Aaron is getting vile racist hate mail in retaliation for pointing out that racism still exists 209
- John Farrell to get fined for being critical of instant replay 47
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 91
- Hank Aaron is getting vile racist hate mail in retaliation for pointing out that racism still exists (210)
- The Red Sox are still steamed that a PED guy played against them in the playoffs last year (129)
- We don’t need to celebrate Barry Bonds, but we should avoid whitewashing baseball history (122)
- Doug Glanville’s story about being racially profiled at his own home (121)
- Must-Click Link: Yasiel Puig’s harrowing journey to the United States (95)