Jul 13, 2011, 10:30 AM EST
This was actually first reported by KTRS 550 AM in St. Louis six days ago, but at the time neither the Cardinals nor Garcia confirmed it. Jon Heyman reports today, however, that the deal is, in fact, done, and that an official announcement could come as early as this afternoon.
Heyman’s report is just what KTRS said it was: four years, $27.5 million plus club options for 2016 and 2017. Garcia is still pre-arbitration, so anything ending in “million” right now is a nice deal for him. For the Cardinals, this buys out the arbitration years and a couple years of free agency.
- Joe Posnanski: Remembering ‘Mr. Cub,’ Ernie Banks 13
- What they’re saying about the passing of Cubs legend Ernie Banks 7
- Alex Rodriguez recently met with incoming MLB commissioner Rob Manfred 15
- Ernie Banks, one of baseball’s greatest players and greatest ambassadors has died at age 83 75
- Sean Doolittle has a “slight” rotator cuff tear, won’t be ready for Opening Day 4
- Ryan Vogelsong re-signs with Giants after flirting with Astros 17
- Phillies and Brewers moving closer to Jonathan Papelbon trade 52
- Pete Rose will be at the All-Star Game in Cincinnati this year 29
- Bud Selig: The Greatest Commissioner in the History of Baseball (143)
- Max Scherzer’s seven-year deal with Nationals worth $210 million (119)
- Comments of the Day: some of you guys aren’t big Bud Selig fans (77)
- The 2015 Braves have “gravitas” and “veteran leadership” and will have dirty uniforms. Just kill me now. (76)
- Ernie Banks, one of baseball’s greatest players and greatest ambassadors has died at age 83 (75)