Justin Timberlake makes everyone feel uncomfortable

Jul 13, 2011, 9:00 AM EDT

Timberlake Grace

Well, not me. I loved Mark Grace’s interview with Justin Timberlake during the All-Star Game last night. It may have been more entertaining than the game, actually.

The MLBAM people have already had the video of it taken down from YouTube — and I have this feeling that neither Fox nor MLB.com will be featuring it at their websites today —  but you can get a full transcript over at Amazin’ Avenue. (UPDATE II: I was wrong! It’s at MLB.com. Apologies for suggesting that they’d Pravda-it out of history).

Everyone is talking about how Timberlake — be it sarcastically or drunkenly or both — “praised” Joe Buck’s announcing abilities multiple times.  But whether or not that was really a slam on Buck, I don’t think that was even the most awkward part of it.  No, I found the most awkward part of it was JT’s ode to beer and his praising of it as “the perfect food.”

Mark Grace: It’s a pretty good spot. Now you wanted ballpark food. Peanuts, popcorn, hot dogs, which one’s your favorite?

Justin Timberlake: My favorite? Just beer.

Mark Grace: Really? Beer! It’s kind of the perfect food.

Justin Timberlake: It goes with the hot dog, it goes with nachos, it goes with peanuts. Beer’s perfect. Beer never got mad at me because I didn’t call beer back.

Mark Grace: That’s a very good point. That is a very good point.

He said this, remember, to Mark Grace, who was busted for a DUI a month ago.  And on a broadcast which, about ten minutes before, had recounted the untimely death of Nick Adenhart at the hands of a drunk driver. Of course, given that the very first pitch of the game was sponsored by Budweiser, I guess mixed-messages involved with the relationship between alcohol and baseball are something with which Fox and MLB aren’t too uncomfortable.

I did feel kind of bad for Grace, though, whose lawyer probably doesn’t need him yukking it up with pop stars about the glories of beer at the moment.

1. frankvzappa - Jul 13, 2011 at 9:08 AM

Easily the highlight of the night. I don’t much care for any pop culture figures (cult figures are always where it’s at) but I was laughing my freaking ass off last night at this. Timberlake was hilarious and must have been completely wasted, I have much more respect for him now (having had zero before). I’m surprised they didn’t cut him short.

• paperlions - Jul 13, 2011 at 9:18 AM

I’ve never listened to any of Timberlake’s music….except for D*ck in a Box, which is fantastic. I don’t think he was drunk, I think he’s always relaxed and trying to entertain.

He was great in Alpha Dog and Black Snake Moan….don’t think I’ve seen him in anything else. He has star quality and great acting chops, I’d love to see him in more movies with decent scripts.

• Justin - Jul 13, 2011 at 11:54 AM

“I’d love to see him in more movies with decent scripts:

They still make those?

• Old Gator - Jul 13, 2011 at 12:20 PM

Sure they still make them. Haven’t you walked out on Tree of Life yet?

• nategearhart - Jul 13, 2011 at 11:59 AM

No diatribe about how the evil government is using alcohol to keep the masses ignorant and enslaved?

• Old Gator - Jul 13, 2011 at 12:22 PM

The evil late Capitalist corporatist-whore-supreme-court ridden government is using alchohol to keep the masses ignorant and enslaved – as witness Clarence Thomas’ writing in the “Beer Farts and belches are Forms of Speech” decision.

• Old Gator - Jul 13, 2011 at 12:23 PM

Dammit! That’s “Belches” with a capital B.

Edit function!

Edit function!

EDIT FUNCTION!

• jabberwock3 - Jul 13, 2011 at 4:20 PM

Lighten up, America! The dude’s at a ballgame, havin’ a brew, enjoyin’ the night, and some shmuck sticks a mic in his face, asks him a dumbass question, and then people get pissed off at a couple of beer shots? Holy crap!

2. icanspeel - Jul 13, 2011 at 9:10 AM

It was the most entertaining part of the night and I wondered how they did not know he was drunk lol and if he wasn’t drunk then maybe he is a good actor.

3. sdelmonte - Jul 13, 2011 at 9:12 AM

I muted it, as I do every time a celebrity washes ashore on a sportscast.

Unless it’s Robin Williams and Billy Crystal way back when, promoting Comic Relief during a Mets game and actually being funny without getting in the way of the play by play.

• deathmonkey41 - Jul 13, 2011 at 9:17 AM

Robin Williams was funny at some point?

• frankvzappa - Jul 13, 2011 at 10:22 AM

No, the closest he ever came was when he was shamelessly ripping off material from Bill Hicks.

• nixonotis - Jul 13, 2011 at 1:14 PM

It sounds like you’re confusing Robin Williams with Denis Leary.

4. halladaysbiceps - Jul 13, 2011 at 9:13 AM

I don’t know why, but too much of the stuff that went on in this game, both off the field and on the field (Heath Bell’s slide), seemed orchestrated. It definetly was a comedy show for the ages.

I hear next year they will be bringing in Artie Lange to be a sideline reporter.

5. phukyouk - Jul 13, 2011 at 9:15 AM

it was the highlight of the show for me

6. deathmonkey41 - Jul 13, 2011 at 9:18 AM

And please- Justin Timberlake is a poor man’s Joe Nammath in terms of making people feel uncomfortable during a drunken sideline interview.

• thekcubrats - Jul 13, 2011 at 10:15 AM

I like that, you even mmummblypeg slurry-spelled his name. Ah Joe Willie, hope you’re neck-deep resting in pea… wait, is he dead yet?

• Old Gator - Jul 13, 2011 at 2:43 PM

Go easy on the guy. Britney bounced him off the ceiling a lot when he was still young and impressionable. He’s still showing lots of signs of post-concussion syndrome.

• jabberwock3 - Jul 13, 2011 at 4:23 PM

“I wanna kissshhoo…” slobber, slobber,…

7. gatorboy1986 - Jul 13, 2011 at 9:20 AM

yea he is correct beer pretty much goes with everything

• kiwicricket - Jul 13, 2011 at 9:55 AM

Not from Macondo by chance? Perhaps even a hatchling?

• Old Gator - Jul 13, 2011 at 2:44 PM

Who knows? I have long since lost track of my girlfriends from before my ex-wife. Anything’s possible. Put him in a bathtub with some marshmallows. If he snaps at them, we can proceed to genetic analysis.

8. koufaxmitzvah - Jul 13, 2011 at 9:22 AM

At some point, a celebrity will smoke a J on national television, and I hope it happens during a nationally televised baseball game.

(On Fox. With Tim McCarver in the booth. And Joe Buck’s head about to burst.)

• halladaysbiceps - Jul 13, 2011 at 9:27 AM

Your probably 100% right. Give it a few years. Care to speculate what celebrity will do it?

• donniebb23 - Jul 13, 2011 at 9:34 AM

Gotta be Snoop right? I don’t think vegas would even take odds on that. Dark horse is Michael Phelps after winning another 8 golds at the next Olympics.

• halladaysbiceps - Jul 13, 2011 at 9:45 AM

Let’s start a petition to get Snoop to perform as pre-game entertainment at next years Home Ron Derby. I can just imagine him lighting up a J on stage and Berman saying “Snoop’s taking a long drag, he going BACK BACK BACK!!!

• deathmonkey41 - Jul 13, 2011 at 9:53 AM

The fact that you’re imagining Chris Berman doing anything except retiring and never to be heard from again leads me to believe that you are drunk or high right now.

• halladaysbiceps - Jul 13, 2011 at 9:59 AM

deathmonkey41,

Lol! Drunk, no. Hungover, yes.

• koufaxmitzvah - Jul 13, 2011 at 10:04 AM

Maybe the Beasties can get together at Citi Field and help celebrate Selig’s retirement…

9. StottsEra - Jul 13, 2011 at 9:33 AM

I’m confused how this has anything to do with Mark Grace’s DUI or Nick Adenhart’s tragic death

• nixonotis - Jul 13, 2011 at 1:16 PM

But you’re often confused, aren’t you?

10. Mr. Jason "El Bravo" Heyward - Jul 13, 2011 at 9:39 AM

I’m with you. The fact that JT likes beer and said so has nothing to do with drunk driving. It is extremely tangential at best to the Adenhart/Grace stories and I find it a stretch to even link the two. Timberlake never said, “wow beer is awesome, especially when consuming behind the wheel, Mark”.

His Joe Buck sarcasm was definitely for real and it was hilarious.

11. Jonny 5 - Jul 13, 2011 at 9:45 AM

Speaking of interviews. Why does Ken Rosenthal always do interviews while kneeling?

• halladaysbiceps - Jul 13, 2011 at 9:48 AM

I know! I was going to mention this on last night’s live chat, but I was pretty drunk and forgot. I forgot which player he was interviewing, but I know that the player wasn’t that big. I was thinking to myself “Rosenthal is a midget.” Sibeline reporting is not his thing. He should stick to writing.

• Mr. Jason "El Bravo" Heyward - Jul 13, 2011 at 9:53 AM

Did you know they can’t say the m-word on Comedy Central? Just found that out the other day. Kinda crazy considering the other stuff that gets through on regular prime time cc.

• Jonny 5 - Jul 13, 2011 at 10:02 AM

That’s a “bad word” now too? Hmm?? “little people” is sooo much more respectful…???

• halladaysbiceps - Jul 13, 2011 at 10:02 AM

Your not serious. Why can’t they say midget? Even midgets call themselves midgets and are not offended by it. In fact, they wear is like a badge of honor. I saw it on a Discovery Health documentary awhile back.

• kiwicricket - Jul 13, 2011 at 10:13 AM

We prefer ‘Pygmy human’ actually.

• Jonny 5 - Jul 13, 2011 at 10:22 AM

Maybe in New Zealand you do…. How’s everything over there btw Kiwi? back to normal yet?

• Old Gator - Jul 13, 2011 at 12:25 PM

No, the toilets still flush in the wrong direction and wetas still crawl across your face when you’re napping in your hammock.

12. bobwheel - Jul 13, 2011 at 10:01 AM

I’m surprised that no one hae mentioned that the “interview” ran right after a commercial for Timberlake’s latest movie, which was also being promoted at the bottom of the screen during the interview. Grace should have known better than to have engaged in any conversation revolving around drinking. Perhaps he was caught off guard, but knowing what he’s been through recently, he should have run away from that. I thought that the broadcast in general was very uneven, and that there was far too much meaningless commentary by Buck and McCarver, while there should have been more emphasis on what was going on on the field. Fans tune in to see their favorite players, some of whom get a cameo appearance as a pinch hitter, runner, etc., and the endless prattle in the booth leaves little time to acknowledge those players.

13. kellyb9 - Jul 13, 2011 at 11:27 AM

“Joe Buck, you’re calling a GREAT game!”

14. buckybadger - Jul 13, 2011 at 11:45 AM

Anytime you are making fun of that robot Joe Buck I am all for it.

15. nynewsblob - Jul 13, 2011 at 12:13 PM

I’d like to hear Jim Leyritz take on the interview

16. natstowngreg - Jul 13, 2011 at 12:30 PM

You’re exactly right on the mixed messages, Craig. Pro sports leagues are supposed to support responsible alcohol consumption while relying on the selling of alcohol to help pay the bills. So we get hand-wringing about drunk drivers between beer commercials.

MLB and its broadcasters pat themselves on their backs with one hand, and with the other take the big checks from the breweries. It’s not clear whether they’re confortable with the arrangement, or they just recognize that nothing can be done about it (as long as the economics of pro sports remain as they are). I suspect it’s more of the former than the latter.

17. corecontrarian - Jul 13, 2011 at 2:45 PM

I thought Britney references were right around the corner.

18. Ick McWang - Jul 13, 2011 at 10:02 PM

honestly, alcohol induced or not, it seemed to me that maybe timberlake and buck had/have some bad blood. buck always sounds a little “im better than you” but it really seemed he had dislike for timberlake and the feeling was mutual. Like they got in an argument in a VIP or a meet-n-greet or something.

Three legends off to Cooperstown