Jul 13, 2011, 2:19 PM EST
Kris Medlen‘s setback from Tommy John elbow surgery was initially deemed minor last month, but now Carroll Rogers of the Atlanta Journal Constitution reports that the Braves right-hander has been shut down for at least another six weeks.
General manager Frank Wren told Rogers that Medlen “is suffering from lingering soreness in his elbow and will now halt his throwing program until September at the earliest.”
In other words, odds are his next big-league appearance will come in 2012, which is a tough blow for a Braves bullpen that could use another reliable arm or two beyond the over-worked trio of Craig Kimbrel, Jonny Venters, and Eric O’Flaherty.
The good news is that Dr. James Andrews’ recent examination concluded that Medlen’s surgically repaired ligament remains intact, so the Braves are hopeful some extra rest will do the trick. He went under the knife in mid-August of last year.
- Blue Jays sign Dayan Viciedo to a minor league deal 8
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 11
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 32
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 9
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 299
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 18
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 86
- Yankees don’t plan on having to pay A-Rod’s $30 million in home run milestone bonuses 51
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (299)
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks (131)
- Report: The Yankees were “fuming” at how A-Rod handled his early arrival to spring training (114)
- Cuban prospect Yoan Moncada reportedly signs with the Red Sox for $31.5 million, plus $31.5 million in penalties (106)
- Brian Sabean says that California taxes are a hindrance to the Giants signing free agents (102)